Veronica Mars on CBS (8/12)

Watched it – liked it – had no idea on the back stories of these people.

Who’s Duncan? Who’s Meg? Who’s the black kid? And is the cop really hitting on Veronica?

Duncan Kane is Veronica’s ex-boyfriend. His sister, Lily, was murdered and her murder was the central mystery of the first season.

The black kid is Wallace. In the first episode, he was found duct taped to the school flag pole. Veronica cut him down and defused the situation that led to his getting taped up. He works in the school office and Veronica calls on him for favors when she’s working on a school-related mystery.

The deputy is Leo. He and Veronica did a flirty thing for a few episodes and a dating thing for another few episodes. There was some talk when the shows initially aired that it was a bit creepy and possibly illegal for him to be doing that because of the age difference. IIRC the concensus that arose was that it was mildly creepy but not illegal if they weren’t having sex.

Thanks – very helpful!

Okay – who was the guy who was staking out the hotel? His mother, I gather, is dead – what’s the deal with the stepsiister?

(glug glug glug – I feel myself getting sucked into this show, which is, I guess, the point…)

That was Logan, Veronica’s on-again, off-again sweetie. Logan’s father is a rich ratbastard movie star, and Logan’s mother committed suicide (or did she?) The stepsister hasn’t been a very big part of the plot so far, but we’ll see more of her next season, I hear.

I didn’t watch tonight’s rerun but if it’s the episode I’m thinking of that would be Logan. His mother, who basically is the only person in his family he loves, disappeared and appeared to have committed suicide. Logan refused to accept this and believes his mother ran away to escape her abusive husband. Veronica found out somebody was using his mother’s credit card at the hotel so Logan went there thinking it was his mother. It was in fact the stepsister who was using the card.

Logan and Veronica’s relationship is conflicted. He’s Duncan’s friend and was Lily’s boyfriend when she was alive. Veronica used to date Duncan and was Lily’s best friend. So Logan and Veronica were together alot but never really saw eye to eye. After Lily was killed and Duncan and Veronica broke up they became enemies. Then more recently they developed the beginning of a mutual interest in each other. Which was complicated by Veronica’s continued attraction to Duncan, her suspicion that Logan might have been involved in Lily’s murder, and Logan’s overall bad personaility along with his lingering guilt about his past relationship with Lily.

That would be interesting, since Alyson Hannigan is going to be on another series as a regular.