Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 AM

Why aren't Egg Cups common in the US?

Ever since our Big Fat German Holiday a year and a half ago, I have been looking IRL for Egg cups at stores.

I haven't found a one.

Via Ebay, most of them are from the UK or Europe. Occasionally there will be one from the US, but they are either not what I am looking for ( vintage-ish) or Tupperware.

Why why why why?

My kingdom for a set of 4 ( or 6 would be ideal) egg cups.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have a nice one.

I keep it on my desk at work for paper clips.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Hmm, I have egg cups, and I see 'em all over.

Have you tried Pier One? Also, Amazon seems to have a whole slew of them.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:34 AM

When I was in Norway, I was baffled by these "egg cups" that were commonly used during lunch time. Seemed rather pointless to me, because either the egg was eaten in a couple of bites, or it was cut up and put on an open-faced sandwich. Plus, it was an extra dish to do.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:39 AM

I don't know anyone who uses them these days. I remember seeing them in old movies. Maybe people just don't eat soft-boiled eggs anymore.

I think a mismatched grouping that coordinates would be cool. Here are some sites:

http://pages.tias.com/7392/Inventory...ibles-Egg_Cups

http://search.rubylane.com/collectibles/,id=41.6.html

http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buye...E27C&_rk=30248
Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 AM

There was an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent where an egg cup played an important part.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanak
Seemed rather pointless to me, because either the egg was eaten in a couple of bites, [...]
That sounds as if you eat your eggs with your hands. If you do, then that is one reason for the difference. The taboo against eating with your fingers is stronger in some countries than in others. e.g. I've also heard that some Americans think it's strange that people here eat their pizza with knife and fork.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:18 AM

Williams-Sonoma sometimes sells them.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanak
When I was in Norway, I was baffled by these "egg cups" that were commonly used during lunch time. Seemed rather pointless to me, because either the egg was eaten in a couple of bites, or it was cut up and put on an open-faced sandwich. Plus, it was an extra dish to do.
When you serve the eggs they're usually too warm to hold in your hand and egg cups also gives you somewhere to leave the shell. Besides, a soft-boiled egg can also be a bit runny; it's nice to have something stable other than your hand to put the egg in.
I can't imagine how I'd eat a soft-boiled - really soft as they should be - egg without putting it in an egg cup.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest

I'll get you egg cups - no problem at all. Would you like these so you can customise your own....?

http://www.gltc.co.uk/ProductDetails...&esource=GGG01

or I can get you ordinary ones - any colour of choice? Or would you like to go for some novelty goodness?

http://www.eggcupworld.co.uk/

I'm really suprised that egg cups aren't a global thing!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea_calendula
I can't imagine how I'd eat a soft-boiled - really soft as they should be - egg without putting it in an egg cup.
Well, first off, soft boiled eggs aren't common here. Second, my dad used to make them and he'd just put them in a custard cup, which was handy because then you could mush everything together with a bit of toast. Tasty stuff.

Basically, people in the US don't have egg cups because the only thing they're good for is eating soft boiled eggs, which not many people eat. And on those rare occassions when you do want to eat it, it's just as easy to stick it in a small bowl.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:45 AM

But but but..... how do you dip your soldiers in when there's no egg cup...? *lip quiver*
Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotik
Well, first off, soft boiled eggs aren't common here.
I like soft-boiled eggs, but I don't often eat eggs so I don't know how to make them. Basically, I like the whites solid and the yolks runny. How long do you boil them for that?

I haven't used an egg cup since I was in England. It was a vacuum-formed disposable one.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 AM

Well, primitive that I am, I hold the egg in a folded-up paper towel, so as to protect myself from burns. I'm unsure how you'd cut the top off the egg with it standing in an egg cup. What's the protocol?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A.
I like soft-boiled eggs, but I don't often eat eggs so I don't know how to make them. Basically, I like the whites solid and the yolks runny. How long do you boil them for that?

I haven't used an egg cup since I was in England. It was a vacuum-formed disposable one.
Place eggs in a pot of cold water, add a pinch of salt.
When it boils, remove from the heat, let stand for exactly 4 minutes.
Drain and serve...
These eggs will have soft, runny yolks and hard whites.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingtongtiddleipo
Drain and serve...
Thanks. Do you start with the eggs at room temperature, or fridge temperature?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
About 4 minutes, I believe.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Do you start with the eggs at room temperature, or fridge temperature?
Room temp.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:02 AM

I found some at Pier 1 Imports when I moved into my apartment, although I'm not sure if they carry them all the time. The funny thing is, I don't eat hard or soft-boiled eggs; they just seemed like the sort of thing no civilized home should be without. Shirley, if you like, I think I have two identical white ceramic ones I can send you.

Besides, they're useful for displaying decorated Easter eggs!

CJ
Old 03-15-2006, 11:05 AM

A more fool-proof method:

Put your refrigerated egg in a bowl of hot tap water for several minutes so that it brings it up to room temp. Meanwhile, get a saucepan of water boiling. Drop the room-temp egg into the boiling water, let it come back to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for app. 4 minutes.

I like this method because when you put a cold egg into a saucepan full of cold water, it's hard to judge just when the water's boiling enough to turn it down. A soft-boiled egg requires precise timing or you may end up with runny white or, conversely, a hard-cooked egg.

And I use an egg cup for my soft boiled eggs. I like to cut the toast into narrow strips so I can dip them down into the yolk. It makes me feel all skilled and everything to know how to slice off the top of the egg at just the right place. Putting a SB egg into a custard cup makes somewhat easier eating, but it's hard to peel a SB egg, it being so soft and all.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Because they ar so damned expensive (at least in my pattern they are).
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Well, first off, soft boiled eggs aren't common here.
That's probably because a lot of Americans have avoided eggs in the last couple of decades because they're high in cholesterol. Also, the US government recommends that people not eat eggs unless they are cooked until the whites and yolks are firm, due to the hazard of salmonella.

There's also the fact that many Americans don't eat a sit-down breakfast any more. We want something quick that we can grab and go before work or school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellner
I've also heard that some Americans think it's strange that people here eat their pizza with knife and fork.
We do. We only eat pizza with a knife and fork if the crust is too floppy to hold a slice in your hand. If God had wanted us to eat pizza with a knife and fork, He wouldn't have made that lip of crust on the back of each slice, nor would He have made the crust so hard to cut through with a knife.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
But but but..... how do you dip your soldiers in when there's no egg cup...? *lip quiver*
That's what sunny-side-up eggs are for. Over easy works too, as long as you don't fry the egg for too long.

Now I have a hankering for sunny-side-up eggs with corned beef hash. Maybe I'll hit a diner this weekend for a treat.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville
We only eat pizza with a knife and fork if the crust is too floppy to hold a slice in your hand.
You Californians! Don't you know floppy pizza is suppose to be rolled up and eaten from the end like a burrito?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 PM

I have no egg cups, but I do have one of those gadgets that cuts the top off the egg, just in case I ever do get egg cups and want to eat soft-boiled eggs with them. (Yick. Don't like soft-boiled eggs.) So I am half-prepared, at least.

I also eat my pizza with a knife and fork, despite my American-ness.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermom
I have no egg cups, but I do have one of those gadgets that cuts the top off the egg, just in case I ever do get egg cups and want to eat soft-boiled eggs with them.
A knife?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And on those rare occassions when you do want to eat it, it's just as easy to stick it in a small bowl.

Huuu...no. In a small bowl, the egg won't be stable, so you won't be able to dip in the yolk the thin slices of buttered bread that you've prepared and eat your soft-boiled eggs as God intended.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Drain and serve...
For the "four minutes standing" part, do you mean the eggs should still be in the hot water than you just took off the fire, or do you remove the eggs from the water and let them sit on the counter?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur
Huuu...no. In a small bowl, the egg won't be stable, so you won't be able to dip in the yolk the thin slices of buttered bread that you've prepared and eat your soft-boiled eggs as God intended.
Dipping the bread in the yolks is weird. Just tear the toast apart and mash everything together as the true God intended. Or, instead of buttered toast, use club crackers. That's tasty, too.

Either way, you need to mend your filthy heathen ways.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Egg cups are the reason the sun has set on the British Empire. Soft-boiled eggs are Evil. Pure and simple. And I'm not the only person who thinks so.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I just tried this, but I couldn't get the eggs to stand, because they are round.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellner
I've also heard that some Americans think it's strange that people here eat their pizza with knife and fork.

Shakes. Twitches. Scratches Berlin off of "places to visit" list. Consults exorcist just in case.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself
You Californians! Don't you know floppy pizza is suppose to be rolled up and eaten from the end like a burrito?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that, either in California or in Maryland where I grew up. Don't you get sauce and burning hot cheese all over your hands when you do that?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville
Don't you get sauce and burning hot cheese all over your hands when you do that?
What's your point?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
A knife?
No, this is fancier. It's like scissors, only set in a round ring that fits over the top of the egg. When you 'snip' the scissors, all these little teeth cut into the egg and make a perfect entrance. Here's one.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:46 PM

Mom's guide to soft-boiled eggs:

Rip white bread into bite-sized pieces and place in Corelle cereal/soup bowl. Crack egg with knife, pull open, use spoon to scoop egg out of shell halves onto bread. Serve.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:53 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen egg cups at World Market/CostPlus, too, Shirley. I like my boiled eggs with the yolks just barely cooked (not runny), but can't imagine eating them from anything but an egg cup.

yingtongtiddleipo, soldiers are the long slices of toast other people described, right?

SoP, you let the eggs stand in the pan of hot water for the four minutes. Best egg-cooking directions I've come across are in The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook. It covers egg cooking for just about every style you can think of. It's a great book even if you're not a vegetarian.

GT
Old 03-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ever since our Big Fat German Holiday a year and a half ago, I have been looking IRL for Egg cups at stores.

I haven't found a one.

Via Ebay, most of them are from the UK or Europe. Occasionally there will be one from the US, but they are either not what I am looking for ( vintage-ish) or Tupperware.

Why why why why?

When was the last time you saw soft-boiled eggs on a menu? I always have to settle for poached.

I know you can get them at "gourmet" kitchen stores, in ceramic or stainless steel. I have one made from a steel coil. Now try looking for an egg cozy. People give you strange looks when you ask for them. ;j
Old 03-15-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangermom
No, this is fancier. It's like scissors, only set in a round ring that fits over the top of the egg. When you 'snip' the scissors, all these little teeth cut into the egg and make a perfect entrance. Here's one.
I think we have found the most useless kitchen gadget.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 PM

My mom has egg cups, but I can't remember ever using them for anything but windowsill decorations. I don't think I've ever had a soft boiled egg. Unless it's something like a coddled egg? My mom also has egg coddlers on the windowsill next to the egg cups, and when I was little she'd sometimes make me a coddled egg for breakfast.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to seach in a specific catogory, like housewares or pottery? Because if you do a general search for "Egg Cups" and restict the search to Location: US Only there are 2075 hits at the moment.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Drain and serve...
But is that at sea level or at high altitude?

Bob
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege
I found some at Pier 1 Imports when I moved into my apartment, although I'm not sure if they carry them all the time. The funny thing is, I don't eat hard or soft-boiled eggs; they just seemed like the sort of thing no civilized home should be without. Shirley, if you like, I think I have two identical white ceramic ones I can send you.

Besides, they're useful for displaying decorated Easter eggs!

CJ

Ohhhhhhhh...an offer of egg cups........I must drink more coffee before I make some kind of deal ....I have nothing to send you in exchange ( well, how about a metric buttload of Mcdonald's toys? she offers hopefully.

Yingtingtiddlypo ....I like those two links you provided! Now I want to collect egg cups.

I am going to the Chicago area this weekend, with a possible stoppage at Ikea ( for Meatballs for the manly men with us. I will elbow my way through the crowds to see if they carry egg cups. ( and end up buying something huge to pack in a SUV with 5 people and all their goods.)

I did see egg cups at Kroger's yesterday and I was really happy ( except they are ummm rather....retarded in their eastery motif. But for $1.99 for 4, they would be acceptable if this grand quest fails.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla
My mom also has egg coddlers on the windowsill next to the egg cups, and when I was little she'd sometimes make me a coddled egg for breakfast.

What, exactly, is a Coddled Egg?

I've learned there are some verbs that should not be googled. Coddled would probably bring up links to some Bizzare Fetish that I really don't need to pollute my brain with.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:49 AM

No exchange needed. I've enjoyed your company on the boards and it'll be two fewer things to clean. I think I've got a recipe for coddled eggs at home. They're similar to soft-boiled eggs, as I recall. I'll post it this evening if I have time.

CJ
Old 03-16-2006, 07:17 AM

Egg cups aren't common in the US for the reasons listed above...the cholesteral scare, the "no time for breakfast" lifestyle, the rise of cereal as the breakfast food of choice, the working mom who has no time for finicky cooking and timing of things in the morning.

Just the other day I was looking up at the shelves in the kitchen and wondering when the last time was that I usd the egg cups that are sitting there. Now I have an intense craving for a soft-boiled egg, something I haven't eaten in about 30 years. I'm not afraid of the salmonella scare...I still make Hollandaise from scratch and eat sunny-side-up. Perhaps I'm wrong, but my understanding is that not all eggs are capable of giving you salmonella, just the ones that are infected, and since you can't tell which are infected, they advise just avoiding them altogether to be on the safe side. Since I'm a huge risk-taker (yeah, right!) I've decided to play the odds and keep doing what I've always done and eat those sunny-side-up eggs.

Many, many years ago I started using this egg timer for all my hard-boiling needs. It really takes the guess-work and timing out of the process, and works great at the high altitudes I used to live at. I have never tried it for soft-boiled, but I'm feeling the urge right now.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I can now add this to my list of baffling American culinary habits:

Don't eat boiled eggs from eggcups
Use the bit of bacon that is fed to the dogs in the rest of the world
Eat pizzas with only 2 or 3 toppings
Eat instant "mashed potato"
Don't eat beets
Eat burgers that contain no vegetables - lettuce, onion, tomato, beetroot
Don't eat much lamb
Don't generally drink tea
Drink American beer
Old 03-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo
I just tried this, but I couldn't get the eggs to stand, because they are round.
Well, the vernal equinox is coming up soon. Maybe that will help.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask

Don't eat boiled eggs from eggcups
Use the bit of bacon that is fed to the dogs in the rest of the world
Eat pizzas with only 2 or 3 toppings
Eat instant "mashed potato"
Don't eat beets
Don't eat much lamb
Don't generally drink tea
Drink American beer
Beetroot? On a hamburger? Living south of the equator mast make your tastebuds atrophy or something.

I'd give you the last one on your list, but then I remembered....Foster's!

Game, Set and Match to the Merkins, I believe.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask
Okay, y'all are weird about the beetroot (blech), but what're you talking about with the rest? Burgers most always come with lettuce, onion, and tomato, if you get them at a restaurant. Pickle, too. Some people pick them off, but they still come that way.