Hell's Kitchen 4/8

I’m so hopelessly addicted to this show…

I couldn’t believe the Petrozzi guy- has a nervous breakdown because he has to memorize the night’s menu? Seriously that guy got really lucky!

I was glad that Ramsey didn’t take either of those two girls out- I really don’t care for the black girl- she’s too much talk and confuses bossiness with leadership but the other girl got stuck with Sharon and could have easily been dismissed if Ramsey decided to take one of the girls in front of him instead of a person who deserved it. Corey is stupid to make that kind of move right at the beginning- she’s trying to eliminate her competition but last night she just screwed herself by alienating two stronger team members.

I’ve never watched seasons of this show before, but I’ve tuned in the last couple of weeks.

It’s all right to me.

There’s way too much of this “I’m playing it up to make good reality TV” stuff going on.

But, when people are actually NOT acting – like in high stress situations, and when they’re chilling at home – it’s pretty good.

What I really like is that the “cast” isn’t drawn from the recycled reality-TV casting call. They’re ugly, overweight. Everyone of them seems to smoke, drink and swear. In short, they really seem like cooks and chefs, and caterers that I know.

I don’t know if Jen is good, or just mouthy at this point. I do like Bobby.

I only saw the end of service and the elimination and I love it when people try to be all strategic in their eliminations and Ramsay overrides them.

Corey really screwed herself. If she had tried to hide her scheming at all (that is, not *admitted *that she picked her choices for strategy and personal distaste), she at least wouldn’t have made the two she picked out to get her.

You don’t have to pick the weakest chef every week, but you at least have to *pretend *that you’re doing so. Corey did not.

I’ve watched every season of this show and I’m about to give it up in another 2 episodes if they don’t mix it up a little bit. It is identical in every way to the previous seasons and is boring me to tears. Before the episode even started I told my wife “He’s going to shut down the kitchen tonight before the end of service” and sure enough… Also, we don’t need 2 minutes long recaps after every commercial break to show us what we just saw 4 minutes ago.

I’ve noticed most Fox reality shows are edited this exact same way and are overloaded with commercials. It’s very distracting.

I’m not too far behind you. I’m sick of all of the fake drama.

They have a competition to see who can pick out a 6 ounce portion. The guy has a 5.9 ounces piece, and the girl puts her’s on the scale at it is…cut to commercial! Well, my God, I think I’m going to piss my pants waiting for the outcome of this. Why make it seem like drama when that part isn’t?

Why didn’t they just show the competition, and while going to commercial say: Coming up! The guys go with Ramsay on the yacht! and show some funny previews. It’s not all drama.

The thing that makes this show worse for me is that I’ve seen Ramsay’s other shows and I know that he is just putting on with most of the yelling…

I was exposed to the third episode (Third for me, I have no idea about it’s chronological place.)

I gotta make an observation.

There has not been anyone on the air with whom I would willingly spend thirty seconds in person. If they could make authentic Olympian Nectar and Ambrosia from table scraps in five minutes, having to actually be present for any significant portion of that time period would be far more than I would be willing to suffer for the finest dish ever served in the history of the planet.

Why is a famous asshole not just an asshole?

I really don’t get it.

Tris

A lot of kitchens are run like the military, and frankly, it more often than not works. I was watching Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares today, and he was talking with a chef who’d lost his spark. He said in effect ‘you must have trained with a lot of great chefs, did they kick your ass?’ Chef says yes. He says, “Did you hate them for it?” Chef says, “I loved them for it.” So Ramsay says he has to take command of his kitchen now or his underlings won’t learn anything.

That being said, there are also the ‘well-oiled machine’ types of kitchens that don’t have a head chef shouting commands. Bourdain outlines one (I forget his main example) in his Kitchen Confidential. I’d sit down any day with Rick Bayless, for one.