Did I fry a part of my monitor?

I have a PC that’s about 8 years old. I put in a used video card that’s a little better than the one that was in here and I had issues with the PC crashing because I believe the old Nvidia drivers weren’t completely deleted (the replacement is an ATI). So after a crash today and the monitor flickering on and off, the picture has a horrible bluish tint and other colors seem to be off. I tried removing all drivers, putting in the old video card, hitting the AUTO adjust button on the monitor and nothing is changing. Does it sound like something went wrong with the monitor? I’m hoping for the answer to be , “No, try this and it should be okay.” :slight_smile:
The monitor is a SyncMaster 203B that is a few years old. Thanks.

I don’t think it’s possible to damage an LCD monitor by feeding it incorrect video signals. If you disconnect it from the video card, can you bring up the on-screen menu, and if so, how does that look?

It is probably the VGA cable. Check both sides for a loose connection.

Could you have damaged or loosened the cable while you were futzing with it? You might try looking for bent pins.

Have you tried the degauss button? I’ve never come across a problem it fixed, but it sure is fun to press!

I’ll give you $1000.00 in cold, hard cash right now if you can point out the degauss button on the monitor described in the OP.

Oh, I have.
Years ago, in a City Far, Far Away (actually only around 20 miles), I was working on my fantastically expensive Macintosh II with it’s Apple Hi-Res color monitor. I had the monitor face-down on the carpet when I started the machine. When I picked the monitor up, and put it on the desk, I was horrified to see that the colors were all screwed up - it looked like it was bruised. Everything was grey-bluish and all the colors were mis-converged. After calming down, I figured that it was due to turning it on face-down, and I pressed the degauss button. It helped, but it took several presses to get it back to normal.

Hmm… I assumed a few years old meant it’d be a CRT. I think they should still have a button on LCD’s that makes a funny noise and gives you a psychedelic color show!

Just a black screen if not connected to a video card.

Checked that. Tight connection and no bent pins.

Tried it with the drivers, no drivers, old video card with and without drivers and booting up in Ubuntu. All with the same results.

Weird. I found the CD that came with the monitor and ran it. I click on “Troubleshoot” and a second later, normal color kicks in (I think, I’ve been staring at the bluish screen so long, normal doesn’t look normal). I don’t know if the CD somehow fixed it (I doubt it) or it’s just a coincidence (probably?). Hopefully it’ll stay this way.

Sounds almost like you bunged up the color profile and the CD fixed it in the process of troubleshooting.