"I have had it with these Monkey-Fried snakes on this Monday-Friday Plane!"

… and other examples of Really Stupid Censorship.

And I thought the time when I saw some movie on TV where the word “F***” was consistently replaced with “Fudge” was bad. :rolleyes:

They were monkey fighting snakes, but yes, the FX cut of that movie killed the line.

“Find a stranger in the Alps” instead of “fuck a stranger in the ass” in the Big Lebowski.

“Forget you” instead of “fuck you” in countless other movies.

I don’t understand why the censors just don’t use silence in place of the lines. That’d be ten times less silly than replacing it, not to mention a whole helluva lot less work.

It would majorly disrupt the flow of the speech. Human speech has a rhythm to it and if they just used silence in place of swear words I think it would sound even more “off” than subbing in another word.

“Flip you!”

“No! Flip YOU!”

Flip? Really?

The phrase “mellon-farmer” was used in the tv version of at least one Die Hard movie.

I would definitely prefer silence or just “bleeping” over the line to these stupid replacements.

Or, you know, they could just include the line as is. They can show depictions of violent crime on T.V., they can show people eating live bugs on T.V., but swearing is too shocking or offensive? Really?

Blazing Saddles is full of them. One of my favorite lines is from Jim.
“The Little Bastard shot me in the ass.”
The humor comes from the set up and delivery and doesn’t look funny written out. It was ruined by changing it to:
“The little brat shot me in the you know.”
The funny thing is that the original line could be said on regular TV now but they still go with the old edited version.

The ITV cut of Robocop (which I think was actually purchased like that from the US) had a memorable bathroom scene where we find that some of the junior executives referred to the old man as “air head”, woah! :eek:

In a network broadcast of The Blues Brothers, the line “We had a band that could turn goat piss into gasoline” was changed to “goat milk.”

In Tremors, when Val and Earl are chased by a monster for the first time they jump into a cement irrigation channel and are trapped, the monster crashes into the cement and then you hear:

Earl Bassett: Stupid son-of-a-bitch, knocked itself cold!
Valentine McKee: Cold, my ass, he’s dead! We killed it. We killed it! FA-screw you!

What’s even worse with Blazing Saddles is that I have seen it on TV where the infamous “bean scene” around the camp fire takes place without all the fart noises!!! Might as well cut the whole scene instead of take out the sound effects… :rolleyes:

Especially for a network like FX, which has run its own original shows such as “Damages” and “The Riches,” which contain plenty of use of the word “shit.” Or they could have gone the route of “Epic Movie” in which the Samuel Jackson look-alike says, “I have had it with all of these God-damned snakes on this God-damned plane.” Just as intense, but possibly less objectionable than “motherfuckin’.”

I think the preservation of rhythm would be outweighed by the disruption in cadence, myself.

I saw a cut where they replaced the fart noises with horses neighing. Almost as funny as the original, in its own way.

Yippee Kai-yay, Mr. Falcon!

Two words.

Scum. Bucket.

It seems pretty obvious to me that by using “monkey-fried” they were lampooning the practice you’re complaining about. I think it’s pretty funny.

Yeah, but in real life I play the Straight Man. Nothing gets past me! :wink:

You’re probably right… at least they didn’t use “Mother-Tucker”, which I’ve heard on occassion.