Great baseball nicknames

I was messing around on www.baseball-reference.com and I came upon two of the greatest nicknames ever.

“The Only” Nolan
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nolanth01.shtml

and Bob “Death to Flying Things” Ferguson
http://http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fergubo01.shtml

Can either one of these nicknames be topped?

Dick “Doctor Strangeglove” Stuart

Hugh “Losing Pitcher” Mulcahy.

Al “The Mad Hungarian” Hrabosky

'Ronald “Big Mac” McDonald (only a minor leaguer, but still . . . )

Garry “The Secretary of Defense” Maddox
Every Day Eddie Guardado
Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd
Spaceman Bill Lee
Mike “The Human Rain Delay” Hargrove
Jimmy “The Toy Cannon” Wynn
Charlie “Piano Legs” Hickman
Charlie “The Mechanical Man” Gehringer

Good old “Losing Pitcher” Mulcahy, the ultimate Phillie. Since this was the one I came in to name, an amusing stat from his linked Baseball Reference page is in order. In 1938, Mulcahy went 10-20, “led” the league in giving up earned runs, had a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 0.75, and boasted an ERA+ of 87. The Baseball Writers Association of America, obviously no more up to the task than they are today, placed him 25th in voting for NL MVP with three votes (two votes ahead of Fat Freddie Fitzsimmons, 11-8 with an ERA+ of 129).

Now I’ve thought of one:

Johnny “Pepper” Martin, “The Wild Horse of the Osage”

When your name is Rusty Kuntz or Johnny Dickshot, you don’t need a nickname, but they called Johnny… “Ugly.” Ugly Dickshot.

I was always partial to “Wild Horse of the Osage” as well (in fact I’m now editing to pretend that I knew it had already been mentioned).

What about Mordecai “Three Finger” Brown?

Fred McGriff-The Crime Dog

Gabby Harnett-Old Tomato Face

Vladimir Guerrero-Vlad The Impaler

Alex Rodriguez—A-Roid

Travis Snider- The Amazing Sniderman

Joakim “The Mexicutioner” Soria. And those he strikes out have been “Mexicuted”. My hispanic roommate is insanely jealous he never thought of it before.

Joaquin Andujar–“Walking Underwear”

Bert “Be Home” Blyleven

I’m a Blue Jay fan and have never heard this. But I hope Snider succeeds, because this would be a genuinely fabulous nickname.

But you have to spell it “Snider-man.”

I wonder whether he or Henry Nicholas “Tomato Face” Cullop received the nickname first.

James Timothy “Mudcat” Grant

Larvell “Sugar Bear” Blanks

Carl “The Reading Rifle” Furillo

Did anyone ever call him that during his playing career? A Bermanism isn’t the same thing as a real nickname.

Dannis Ray “Oil Can” Boyd

I don’t know. One thing I did like about Chris Berman was his penchant for coming up with some humorous nicknames.

If that doesn’t count, then I’ll go with The Say Hey Kid.

I’m kind of partial to Arky Vaughn, but not because I think it’s such a great name or anything. :smiley:

Dummy Hoy, a deaf centerfielder in the 1800’s.

I like some of them too, and I’m not as down on him as some other posters are. But I think his names are a different animal and selfishly I’d prefer this thread not turn into a list of Bermanisms because there are so many, even though some are good.

An ode to my Phillies:

Mitch “Wild Thing” Williams
Pat “The Bat” Burrell
Shane “Flyin’ Hawaiian” Victorino
Jimmy “J-Roll” Rollins
Ryan “Mad Dog” Madson
Brad “Lights Out” Lidge

Felix “El Gato” Fermin

Coco Crisp’s name is a nickname, but a family nickname not a baseball one. I think it’s spectacular, tho.