What Do You Do With Chili Sauce?

So I bought a bottle of (Aldi’s brand) chili sauce- I’m not sure why. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. I’ve never had occasion to use chili sauce, and I’m not sure what it goes on. Today I am making a big pot of pinto beans (it’s a southern thing)- would it go on those? Any other ideas are appreciated.

Anything you’d put any other sauce or condiment on. I usually only use Asian chili sauce like Sri Racha, but I see people putting chili sauces on hotdogs, hamburgers, barbecue, in or on meatloaf, often on cold vegetable dishes like bean salad and cowboy caviar type stuff.

I use hot sauce on and in about 90% of everything I eat. I usually don’t use hot sauce with steak or roast beef, but, yeah, pretty much everything else.

Oh, okay. I haven’t tasted it, but I didn’t expect it to be a hot sauce-type thing. I use hot sauce all the time.

I keep chili sauces in my hot sauce collection. But I also keep any hot spicy condiment there also. Hard to say what qualifies as a hot sauce or not.

I use your basic chili sauce when I make Bachelor Chow. 1 lb. hamburger, a bottle of chili sauce, an onion or three, eat with Fritos over the sink. It also works on meatloaf and stuff like that.

Chili sauce is a completely different creature than hot sauce.

Depends on what kind it is really. Cholula goes great in burritos and other Mexican food. So does Tapatio. Sriracha goes great in any Asian dish; do does Thai chili sauce. Franks Red Hot and similar flavors, chicken wings. Jalapeno sauce goes great in chili.

If it’s just called “Chili Sauce” it might as well be ketchup, so put it on what you’d put ketchup on. Or shrimp cocktails.

This is the best chili sauce out there. A level above this. Chili Sauce is also not cocktail sauce, which has more horseradish and lemon in it.

I’ve only ever mixed it with cranberry sauce to make a crockpot full of yummy meatballs to bring to a party. Delicious.

We use it to make pulled pork in the crockpot. It’s a bit of prep at the beginning of the day, but SOOOO worth it. Also, we find you can cut a good hour off the cooking time in our crockpot, so you want to experiment with that.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced onions
3 lb (1.4 kg) pork loin roast
2 cups (500 mL) peeled apples
8 large onion buns
1 bottle (455 mL) chili sauce
1/3 cup (80 mL) EACH grainy mustard and liquid honey
2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
2 tbsp (30 mL) each tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika, or 2 tsp (10 mL) regular paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced

Place onions on bottom of slow cooker. Place pork on top. Sprinkle apples over top and down sides.

For the sauce: In a large bowl, mix together chili sauce, mustard, honey, chili powder, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, paprika and garlic; pour over meat and apples. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until meat is fall-apart tender.

Remove roast to large plate. Using two forks in opposite directions, shred meat along its length. Stir meat back into sauce and serve on buns.

I slather it over the top of the meatloaf I make just before I put it in the oven to bake.

I also mix a whole bottle of it with a jar of grape jelly and a quarter cup of dijon mustard to make sauce for slow cooker meatballs. It sounds sort of horrifying, but it’s actually really good. I take them to pot lucks all the time and everyone loves 'em.

Will be trying this soon! I’ve heard the grape jelly but haven’t tried the dijon…

I do the same, but with red currant jelly.

Hamburgers, French Fries, Chicken Nuggets, Cheese Sticks, Potato Chips, Totilla Chips, Fingers, Shrimp, Fish, Scallops, Meat Loaf. . .

I use it like ketchup, since that’s mostly what it is. Meat loaf, sloppy joes, etc. Good with soft fried potatoes (good with those pinto beans!). Mix with mayo for Fry Sauce, works well in cocktail sauce, too!

My sister-in-law uses it as the sauce for sloppy joes. Never one to leave good enough alone, I modified it a little bit.

I brown 1 lb of very lean ground beef with diced onions and a bell pepper. Drain the beef, add chili sauce, and about 2 or so chopped chipotles in adobo. Add a bit of water, and let it cook down. For my vegetarian SO, I usually substitute black beans for beef, but last time I used some of the fake ground beef crumbles, which went over well.

I put it on lightly-steamed broccoli.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be using it a lot in the future, for many of these things. I had some, so I see that it’s like a slightly spicy ketchup, and not like a hot sauce. It went well with my beans and taters. I can see using it with meatloaf, burgers, meatballs, etc. I wish I’d started using it years ago- I like it.

Works well with grape jelly, also. Really.

I mix it in to commercial duck sauce along with a dash of pineapple juice [unsweetened] and use it as a dip, or as a baste for pork or shrimp while grilling. You can use rooster sauce/chili sauce[srichra or however the hell it is spelled] mixed with all sorts of things to make dips/marinades. Never done it, but i suppose you could swap it in place of the Franks Hot sauce for buffalo wings.

I take wonton wrappers, make them into cups using a muffin placque by forming them in the wells of the placque. Either I blind bake them or I fill them. If I blind bake them, I can then fill them with various fillings that I do not want to cook like what would normally be 7 layer taco dip, if baked stuff like crab rangoon filling [cream cheese, crab meat, dash of sricrawhatever sauce] or pepper poppers [diced jalapenos, cream cheese and cheddar cheese and a dash of hot sauce.]