What's your favourite condiment to drown out the flavour of something?

Once in a (rare) while, my wife insists that I eat something I don’t like the taste of, like fish or bitter melon. So my usual response is to cover it in something that will overpower the taste. I used to use barbecue sauce or Frank’s Red Hot sauce (depending on the dish), but now I’ve discovered that I can put yellow mustard on just about anything and it will end up tasting like mustard. Problem solved!

Anyone else have any favourite overpowering condiments?

Teriyaki sauce. With the power of teriyaki, I can even eat broccoli

Horseradish sauce is good for this, or a horseradish mustard. Obviously only if you like horseradish.

For kids ketchup works well, since it’s so sweet.

It’s not really a condiment but cheese is my go to for this. I’m not a real fan of broccoli but with cheese smothered on top it’s tasty, and I love broccoli/cheese soup.

Salsa is another excellent choice.

Tahini. My girlfriend will throw some into whatever she’s making, and it always ends up tasting like Tahini, and nothing else.

In a world where I consented to eating things I didn’t want, I guess I might try red wine vinegar or fresh lemon/lime juice.

Nowadays I just avoid eating anything that would need to be drowned out, but when I was younger, and sometimes had to eat liver, I would drown it out with HP sauce. So my answer is HP Sauce. You could still taste the liver though :(.

A heaping spoonful of wasabi, of course.

It will burn holes in your taste buds, your nostrils and into your sinus cavities, and you won’t have to worry about tasting anything for a long, long time.

Depends on what I’m drowning out, but give me yellow mustard.

I can’t think of anything that would be necessary. There are only a handful of easily avoided flavors I dislike strongly (coffee, beer, coconut, and licorice), so there’s no need to cover up anything.

Mustard is a good one. Almost any kind but the French’s style yellow mustard. Never developed a taste for it.

The other go to condiment for me is sriracha sauce. It goes well with many things.

I’m a big boy now and so I don’t have to eat anything I don’t wish to. That said, the rooster sauce is one of my favorites.

The last thing I ate that I hated was haggis (forced myself to swallow one bite). I can’t imagine anything so strong that it’d hide that taste. Maybe hot tar.

I use ketchup to cover up the taste of things that are not ketchup. I like ketchup.

Brown sauce. Made of brown.

Country Bob’s Steak Sauce.

Hummus. That is sure to drown out any other taste. Only if you like garlic.

I honestly don’t recall ever doing it. Being an old fart and brought up in Australia, sauces and other condiments weren’t always at the table. The sauce only appeared for certain things. So I eat it as is or not at all.

Although, on reflection, I add hot sauces to lots of things, but to spice up bland stuff, not mask the taste of objectionable items.

Ketchup!

I heated up a can of “Italian Wedding Soup” last night and it tasted strongly of tin can, so I put in a spoonful of Parmesan cheese and a shake of dried basil, which improved it. The addition of an appropriate cheese can really transform food.

Hoisin