A Day at the Beach with the SDMB

Pick your own beach for all this to happen at.

The parking lot is up close near the beach. Dopers are coming from all over, ready for a day of swimming, surfing, or just lying there in the sun. There are swings and slides nearby.

Dougie_monty is one of the earliest arrivals. He has built a snowman–or rather a sandman, on the wet flats just past the water. It has “CHORDETTES” inscribed across the chest and “ARCHIE BLEYER” inscribed below. He lies on a folding chair, sipping lemonade.

Ah, it’s a perfect, sunny, almost but not quite breezeless day. A day where the temperature is perfect for lying in the shade all day, or swimming in the sun in the cool, pristine water. Thanks, dougie; I needed a day at the beach. It’s grey and raining here today.

I’ll be over at the concessions stand, buying Madame Pepperwinkle a hot dog and soda.

I’ll be the one swimming out past everyone else, getting there then realizing how much further out I am than the rest, then freaking out when a piece of seaweed brushes against my leg and I frantically swim back to where I can stand again.

I’ll be sitting in my lawn chair, cooler next to me with Gatorade and peanut butter crackers inside. A plastic grocery bag for shells fwap fwap fwapping in the wind. I bring a book but don’t read; the waves are mesmerizing.

I’ll be zipping by on my Kawasaki PWC at a safe distance from shore, and offering rides to any Doper. Underage children need their parents’ permission, of course, and everyone (except me) has to wear a life jacket.

There are squeals of delight.

In the evening we have a beach fire and I play the blues on my harmonica.

Throughout the day dougie_monty has watched the events of the day; some surfing and swimming; some of the female Dopers appear in fetching swimsuits, including young mothers with cute-as-can-be little kids.:slight_smile: At one point he plays a cassette player with “Margaritaville,” “Blue Bayou” and “Temma Harbour” and other appropriate songs on it, delighting others. He sips lemonade and offers small ham sandwiches and slices of avocado.

Seems like a good idea to join ya’ll!

Got my spot.
Hmm…I think that is the smell of a dead seal nearby.
Wind is picking up…damn, sand in my drink and food and on my blanket.
Oh well…relax in the sun…wait…who brings a boom-box to the beach these days?!
Great…and he is blaring Rap music.
Why is the water suddenly receding hundreds of feet and people are suddenly dashing off in the other direction?
Two days later.

Well, the tsunami could have been worse. The broken bones should heal relatively quickly, as well as the sunburn. I lost my wallet in the mad dash to the upper ground and have to get a new driver’s license, credit card and insurance cards, but that should only take a few weeks.

Thanks guys! Always fun to go to the beach. Let me know when you wanna rock climb in January.

Shodan wanders thru with Leet the Wonder Dog in tow. Leet is fascinated by the people playing Frisbee and wants desperately to participate. Or run over and beg for scraps from those with food. Or all of them at once!

But alas, he is on leash and pulling is Not Allowed. Besides, he had better stay close to Shodan, because he has learned on the Fourth of July that sometimes, fireworks happen and are real scary.

On the other hand, we can safely wander in the ocean up to our tummies, which is pleasantly cool and fun.

OOH - A BIRD!!!

Regards,
Leet/Shodan

Who wants to come with me on a walk through the dunes? I’ll show some dune plants to anyone interested. I’ll need someone to point out birds, though, I’m crappy with birds. And Shodan just saw a bird. Anyone know what brand?

Also, I’ll point out which kinds of seaweed can be nibbled.

Public service announcement: Don’t forget to do the stingray shuffle!

DMark is not allowed to come to Doper Beach any longer - he apparently displeases the Gods and they throw tsunamis at him! :eek:

I’ll come for a walk with you, Maastricht - I can only lay around for so long. One of my favourite things to do on a beach is look for interesting shells/rocks, and also pick up a good stick for batting rocks into the water.

Suddenly one Doper, who brought binoculars, shrieks with delight.
“Blue whale at 12 o’clock!” he shouts.
Sure enough…

Shakes, show up at the beach completely nude. He soon realizes it ain’t that kind of party. Ashamed, he quickly leaves with bean bag and accorn in hand.

I’ll play Frisbee with Leet. Until he is distracted by a bird, at which point I’ll retire to my cooler full of beer, my towel, and my book. If he gets tired of the distractions, and wants to play again, I’ll join in!

The blue whale sighting (“Thar she blows!”) has distracted quite a few.

Even **Spoons’ **keg of beer is ignored by the whale fans.

Acorn?!!! :confused:

I never said that I have a keg; I have a cooler.

Of course, me being me, it is full of Old Style Pilsner. The perfect beer for a hot day. Well, let’s face it, ice-cold Pil is the perfect beer for any hot day.

After a good game of Frisbee with Leet, I’ll look forward to an ice-cold Pil. Which I have in my cooler. :slight_smile:

(You know you’ve had too many when you can no longer count the bunnies on the label.)

I’m off to collect firewood for the bonfire. Anyone wanna join me?

The Professor, having fallen asleep on his towel, wakes up to find he’s been buried in the sand.

OMG you guys, there are some awesome rock pools just up there, around the corner! Anenomes and crabs and all sorts!