$100K for first job. Worth for her brilliance.

[url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,3-584215,00.htmlOxford student gets snapped up by McKinsey for her first job at $100,000 a year after an initial offer of $60,000.

I wonder if her, umm, background had anything to do with it. Nah.

Oxford student gets snapped up by McKinsey for her first job at $100,000 a year after an initial offer of $60,000.

I wonder if her, umm, background had anything to do with it. Nah.

Oxford working link.

Michael Powel son of Colin Powell was appointed to FCC by Bush.

Eugene Scalia son of Supreme Court Justice Scalia of Bush vs Gore, is appointed to Solicitor for the Department of Labor by Bush.

Your outrage pales.

Just to put a little opposing light on it: sure she got the job because of her family, but now she has to keep it all by herself. McKinsey is a tough, tough firm. Up or out will apply to her as well…

-Tcat

Everything I’ve ever read about Chelsea (and that’s quite a bit, as I’ve been in love with her for some time now) has indicated that she’s a brilliant, articulate, and hard-working. Of course her family connections helped her get the job, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t deserve it.

I have no idea what people make in the business sector. How unreasonable is a buck a year for someone in her job with her education? I imagine that if they want her, they’ll have to pay quite a bit, since she could make that much on the lecture circuit working a few months a year.

Dr. J

It doesn’t sound ridiculous to me. I fully intend to make in the neighborhood of 80k with my masters, and it won’t be from nearly as prestigious a school as Oxford.

The PR alone is probably worth the extra 40k.

Damn she’s ugly. At least Bush’s daughters look like women.

my friend (also an Oxford grad) will be making $60,000 in her second year working for a london law firm.
they also paid all her living expenses and her university fees for the last year of her degree (an extra $8000)
and she’s not the daughter of anyone special.

so i’d say Chelsea rejected the original offer on the basis that she’s worth more, since she’s got a post grad degree, and the firm gets fantastic PR.

Now that was deep… I don’t see what that judgement (which I believe is flawed, but hey) has to do with the topic at hand. Glad to know you’re here to remind us of what’s REALLY important.

Asswipe. :rolleyes:

Bah ha ha- good one. Oh wait, your serious?

The spawn of the priviledged elite don’t get dumped unless the family loses all of its clout (which is unlikely). This stuff happens all the time on both side of the eisle though- more GOP now though for obvious reasons.

Put it this way-- was Bob Dole hired for his lawyering skills? No- it was to trade on his connections. These professional firms hire these people for their personal or family connections. Up or out does not apply, as up is the only route unless something really bad happens.

Often though, the firm is just a temporary stop for many of these people, before moving onto bigger things- a fact that the firm is counting on down the line (call it an investment in the futures market).

Very true. The famous daughter of a former President. A woman whose name might be able to open a few doors…

What business is it of ours what this company spends in payroll. It’s not like she’s pitching for the Dodgers or anything.

More evidence this person may reside under a bridge:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=164387

… and a current Senator…

I don’t see the slightest reason for the outrage. She has every right to maximize her income, and to leverage all her assets, including education and name recognition, into a good job.

What’s the problem?

• Rick

NOTE: I don’t have any problem with Chelsea Clinton getting this job.

The problem is nepotism, IF IT EXISTS. In this particular case, I think Ms. Clinton has gotten her job, not only because of who her parents are, but because she deserves it and will most likely, do very well for herself, on her merits.

What the problem is is when this happens SOLELY because of nepotism. When some drunken frat boy gets into one of the most prestigous schools in the nation, or gets numerous chances in the business world (despite repeated failures), solely because of who his daddy is and not because of any discernable talent of his own, THAT’S a problem. When DNA matters more than ability, THAT’S a problem.

Only $60,000 for an Oxford law degree? Are you kidding me? Tell your friend to come to the states. My friend is going to George Washington Law school and already has a law firm paying part of his tuition (more if he keeps his grades up going into his last few semesters) and has a guaranteed job starting at $100,000 for when he graduates. He certainly has no family connections (but he did intern there for three years during undergraduate studies). GW is not anywhere near as good as Oxford, either.

What problems do you think are caused by nepotism? A firm is free to hire who ever it chooses for what ever reason. If they only hire unskilled people with good Daddys then they aren’t going to stay in business very long.

As far as Chelsea, I say good for her.

As Neurotik states, large law firms in NYC pay their new recruits around $125,000 a year. That’s for a freshly minted law school grad with no real world experience. The salary offered Chelsea is not exorbitant.

Brief list of problems with nepotism:

1. Is done to the detriment of a more deserving person.

2. Judgment is based on DNA not merit.

3. Quality is ignored.

4. Expectations of repaying of favors when it is not direct nepotism. A good example is the current corruption trial in Illinois of Fawell.

A firm is not necessarily free to hire who ever it chooses. It can’t hire only Caucasians to the detriment of minorities. It can’t hire and promote only men to the detriment of women.