2009 Election Results

Owens projected to beat Hoffman.

So much for the breakaway teabagger movement.

A lot of those self-identifying as independents right now are wingnuts who have broken away from the GOP. I know the Fox News spin will be to try to say that the center has moved, but it hasn’t. The teabaggers just aren’t calling themselves Republicans anymore.

With 70% of the vote in, the Dem Owens has a 3% lead in NY-23. I was not surprised with either of the Governor’s races, but this one shocks me. I thought Hoffman would win in a cakewalk.

The Republican candidate who dropped out has 5% of the vote.

Is this a referendum on Palin? This has been a conservative seat for over 100 years.

Yes vote is winning in Maine by about 10,000 with 61% of the vote in. Meanwhile, in Washington State, the domestic partnership bill is being rejected by about 40,000 votes with 23% in.

Tonight’s a great victory for bigotry.

It’s been a Republican seat for over 100 years.

For now. The rock is solid, but the tide is relentless.

Yeah, sure, why not. The righties are delusionally trying to spin a couple of minor, off year elections as a repudiation of Obama, so they would have to agree that a teabagger losing in a Republican district is a repudiation of Palin-Bachmann style hate tactics.

I ask myself the question “Why is the Republican candidate, who is not actually in the race, still getting five percent of the vote?” And I get the perfectly astonishing answer: “I don’t know”.

Is it that they don’t know she dropped out? Early voters? Some sort of protest vote? How long must I wait before some TV pundit tells me?

The last non-Republican was a Whig. Yes, a member of the Whig Party held that seat more recently than a Democrat.

As a New Jersey resident I don’t know that I would interpret this as anything but a reflection of the fact that economic conditions around here still suck really badly. I know of three immediate neighbors of mine who have faced long term unemployment problems. Housing values are down and people are frustrated.

Plus frankly Corzine sucks. He has no charisma and comes across as a rich boring white guy with few solutions. Also there was third party in the race so that may have helped split the the vote.

FYI, I had to wait to vote and I usually don’t so I’m inclined to think turn out was unexpectedly high.

The Albany Project is projecting him as the winner too.

Thank. God.

Looks like the only reason the GOP won the Governor races was because their candidates ran moderate campaigns. And the teabaggers lost a seat that’s been Republican for a long time. Lets see what lessons the GOP will take away from this and apply in 2010.

SSM in Maine: Reject legal SSM is ahead by 14,656 votes (51.8% to 48.1%) with 68% of precincts reporting. :frowning:

Hate sells.

Over at Talking Point Memo, Josh M. is pointing out that the urban center (Portland) has not reported as yet, where more equality support may be expected.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

What are the specifics on the Washington state domestic partnership vote? Was does it do?

538 again:

Even Fox news is calling it for Owens now. That’s got to put a damper on the Obama haters’ glee. The moderates won, and the teabagger lost.

For good or ill, looks matter in elections. I mean, really, what is Barney Frank but just another pretty face? But this Hoffman guy is the Godzilla of dweeb. Voters have to be worried about the embarassment when Dennis Kucinich steals his lunch money.

I can’t see how you can spin this. Yes, the Dems won this race. Against a 3rd party candidate. The GOP candidate dropped out of the race. Sure the 3rd party conservative lost the race, but it is in an upstate NY district. Not hardly the fertile breeding ground of right wing activism. What’s next? When a Dem beats the Constitution Party and Reform Party candidate that is a mandate?

Losing the NJ gov. seat is a bad thing. VA is bad as well, but it was expected.
SSM votes are going poorly in Maine and Washington.

It’s not a good night for Dems and I can’t see it spun any differently.

Since when have teabaggers ever let reality bother them?

I’ll bet you money they will point out that the ticket was split and had the Republican bowed out their guy may well have won.