2011 (2010) Academy Award nominations

Here are the major category nominations. I’ll post other categories when I get the list and add the links.

Best Picture

127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter’s Bone
Animated Feature

How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3
Best Actor

Javier Bardem - Biutiful
Jeff Bridges - True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
Colin Firth - The King’s Speech
James Franco - 127 Hours
Best Actress

Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence - Winter’s Bone
Natalie Portman - Black Swan
Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine
Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale - The Fighter
John Hawkes - Winter’s Bone
Jeremy Renner - The Town
Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush - The King’s Speech
Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams - The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter - The King’s Speech
Melissa Leo - The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit
Jacki Weaver - Animal Kingdom
Best Director

Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan
Joel Coenand Ethan Coen - True Grit
David Fincher - The Social Network
Tom Hooper - The King’s Speech
David O. Russell - The Fighter
Best Original Screenplay

Lisa Cholodenko, Stuart Blumberg - The Kids Are All Right
Mike Leigh - Another Year
Christopher Nolan - Inception
David Seidler - The King’s Speech
Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson - The Fighter
Best Adapted Screenplay

Michael Arndt - Toy Story 3
Simon Beaufoy and Danny Boyle - 127 Hours
Joel Coenand Ethan Coen - True Grit
Debra Granik and Anne Rosselini - Winter’s Bone
Aaron Sorkin - The Social Network

I’m just swooning with happiness for Winter’s Bone’s Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor and Adapted Screenplay nominations!! And Michelle Williams! And Inception! And Franco! I’ve seen all the movies mentioned except for Animal Kingdom and Biutiful. I’m shocked at no Lesley Manville.

I am so, so happy John Hawkes got nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Not only was he fantastic in that movie, and playing against type, but he comes across as a very thoughtful performer and a very humble man. Great news.

(And yes, I totally have a crush on him. :slight_smile: Seeing him in Me You and Everyone We Know will do that to you.)

The King’s Speech - 12
True Grit - 10
Inception - 8
The Social Network - 8
The Fighter - 7
127 Hours - 6
Black Swan - 5
Toy Story 3 - 5
Winter’s Bone - 4
The Kids Are All Right - 4

Here are the rest of the categories but without links. I do want to put links in, but I didn’t want to hold up posting. I’m putting this in spoiler tags not because it’s a spoiler, but to avoid having a long list until I get links in.

[spoiler]

Art Direction

* “Alice in Wonderland”
  Production Design: Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara
* “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1”
  Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan
* “Inception”
  Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat
* “The King's Speech”
  Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Judy Farr
* “True Grit”
  Production Design: Jess Gonchor; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh

Cinematography

* “Black Swan” Matthew Libatique
* “Inception” Wally Pfister
* “The King's Speech” Danny Cohen
* “The Social Network” Jeff Cronenweth
* “True Grit” Roger Deakins

Costume Design

* “Alice in Wonderland” Colleen Atwood
* “I Am Love” Antonella Cannarozzi
* “The King's Speech” Jenny Beavan
* “The Tempest” Sandy Powell
* “True Grit” Mary Zophres

Documentary (Feature)

* “Exit through the Gift Shop” Banksy and Jaimie D'Cruz
* “Gasland” Josh Fox and Trish Adlesic
* “Inside Job” Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
* “Restrepo” Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
* “Waste Land” Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley

Documentary (Short Subject)

* “Killing in the Name” Nominees to be determined
* “Poster Girl” Nominees to be determined
* “Strangers No More” Karen Goodman and Kirk Simon
* “Sun Come Up” Jennifer Redfearn and Tim Metzger
* “The Warriors of Qiugang” Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon

Film Editing

* “Black Swan” Andrew Weisblum
* “The Fighter” Pamela Martin
* “The King's Speech” Tariq Anwar
* “127 Hours” Jon Harris
* “The Social Network” Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter

Makeup

* “Barney's Version” Adrien Morot
* “The Way Back” Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
* “The Wolfman” Rick Baker and Dave Elsey

Music (Original Score)

* “How to Train Your Dragon” John Powell
* “Inception” Hans Zimmer
* “The King's Speech” Alexandre Desplat
* “127 Hours” A.R. Rahman
* “The Social Network” Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Music (Original Song)

* “Coming Home” from “Country Strong” Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
* “I See the Light” from “Tangled” Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
* “If I Rise” from “127 Hours” Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
* “We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3" Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

Short Film (Animated)

* “Day & Night” Teddy Newton
* “The Gruffalo” Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
* “Let's Pollute” Geefwee Boedoe
* “The Lost Thing” Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann
* “Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)” Bastien Dubois

Short Film (Live Action)

* “The Confession” Tanel Toom
* “The Crush” Michael Creagh
* “God of Love” Luke Matheny
* “Na Wewe” Ivan Goldschmidt
* “Wish 143” Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite

Sound Editing

* “Inception” Richard King
* “Toy Story 3” Tom Myers and Michael Silvers
* “Tron: Legacy” Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
* “True Grit” Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey
* “Unstoppable” Mark P. Stoeckinger

Sound Mixing

* “Inception” Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
* “The King's Speech” Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen and John Midgley
* “Salt” Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin
* “The Social Network” Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten
* “True Grit” Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland

Visual Effects

* “Alice in Wonderland” Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips
* “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1” Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi
* “Hereafter” Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojanski and Joe Farrell
* “Inception” Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb
* “Iron Man 2” Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Sudick[/spoiler]

Academy Award nominee Banksy! Academy Award nominee Trent Reznor! :smiley: AND WASTE LAND!! Oh my god, what a great documentary, I’m thrilled beyond measure! “If I Rise” got a nod, yay! I’m happy for the Barney’s Version makeup recognition, even though it deserved more notice.

I’m just excited because this is the first time I’ve ever seen all ten Best Picture nominated movies before they even released the nominations! And on a year that they have 10, too. That I liked all of them to some extent is also a good sign.

I am most happy - though not surprised - at all the attention for The King’s Speech. Man, I sure hope Colin Firth wins; his performance was so much more than your typical character-with-a-disability display.

And what a great line-up for best supporting actor; tough choice between Christian Bale and Geoffrey Rush, but all the others were outstanding as well (although I haven’t seen The Kids Are All Right yet, but I like Mark Ruffalo’s work).

Thanks, Equipoise, for going to the trouble of creating all the links. Very handy.
mmm

Both Rush and Bale are outstanding. Very different types of roles, so I’m not sure which one I’d lean towards. I didn’t like Ruffalo in TKAAR much, but I think that’s possibly because you’re not supposed to like the character. At least that’s how I saw it. I was actually a bit surprised he got a nomination.

Really pulling for Colin Firth as well. What a fantastic performance in a very good film.

And I am also pleased with my personal viewing count of the Best Picture nominees, having seen seven (I’ve not seen Black Swan (having a hard time getting interested in going to that), 127 Hours (came and went in this part of Iowa in about three days) and Winter’s Bone (was here for only a week, I wanted to see it, but missed out).

I can see the start of a trend of tuxedos with hoods.

…and in leather.

Winter’s Bone and The Social Network are on DVD. I haven’t looked up Inception or Kids, but they might be. Toy Story 3 and 127 Hours are out of (most) theaters but not on DVD yet. The rest are still in theaters.

The Social Network is an odd one in that it’s still playing in several theaters around the country, definitely here in Chicago, and will likely expand now that the nominations have come out.

I think Toy Story 3 is out on DVD - if it’s the one that takes place in a day care and has Barbie and Ken, then we rented it a couple of weeks ago.

I’m surprised it’s included in the Best Picture list. Michael Keaton is great as Ken, but I didn’t really care for the movie, myself. It’s really not Best Picture material, IMO. But then, I’m not a fan of the idea of having so many movies included in BP, either.

Inception is definitely out on DVD, that’s how I saw it. I have The Kids… waiting for me at home also. I still have three others to see: Black Swan (maybe this weekend), and Winter’s bone and 127 Hours. I’m hoping the last two are available on DVD before the ceremony or I might be out of luck.

ETA: I think Toy Story 3 might have made the cut even if there were only 5 nominees. It was a fantastic movie.

Toy Story 3 is out on DVD, as if it would not have been available for the Christmas season.

Its best Animated Feature award is being engraved now and the folks at Pixar should have it by the end of the week.

Sorry to be redundant, since I mentioned this in another thread (I do not work for AMC!)… But if you’re looking to catch up and live near an AMC theatre, some locations will be screening all 10 Best Picture nominees on February 19 and 26.

Schedules and locations will be announced this weekend. You can buy a pass for all 10 films or any of them individually. I do this every year and I love it.

Good to know that Inception, Toy Story 3 and Kids are on DVD. Skammer, Winter’s Bone is definitely on DVD.

Well shoot, I was hoping to get links to the movies in all the other categories but I was farting around and now I have to go to work. I’ve got a majority but I don’t want to post it unfinished. I specifically asked for the 11:00am shift just so I could be home to do this. Ah well, at least the unlinked list is up. Btw, you’re welcome Mean Mr. Mustard. It was fun to do.

Here are the Foreign-Language nominees, which I forgot to post both times.

Biutiful - Mexico
Dogtooth - Greece
In A Better World - Denmark
Incendies - Canada
Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi) Algeria****

I haven’t seen any of them yet.

Why is Toy Story 3 being nominated for “adapted” screenplay?

I thought that going to 10 Best Picture nominees would lead to a dilution of the pool. But I’ve seen 7 of the 10 so far (and will be seeing King’s Speech this weekend), and they all strike me as worthy.

Thinking about it, I’m glad Blue Valentine didn’t get a nom… it sounds like a hard watch and I wasn’t sure I was up to it; plus, it’s still in limited release and would have been pretty difficult to catch at the theater in time for the awards show.

I second the question.

Just as an FYI, here is the current in theaters/on DVD status of each BP nominee:
127 Hours - Not on DVD, not currently in theaters (but surely will be again soon)
Black Swan - In theaters
Inception - On DVD
The Fighter - In theaters
The Kids Are All Right - On DVD
The King’s Speech - In theaters
The Social Network - On DVD
Toy Story 3 - On DVD
True Grit - In theaters
Winter’s Bone - On DVD

None of the ‘in theaters’ films will be released on DVD before the awards show.
mmm

Missing - Nolan for Best Director

‘You Haven’t Seen The Last Of Me’ from Burlesque should have been nominated for Best Original Song, but ever since ‘Travelin’ Thru’ lost in 2006 I’ve learnt not to pin much hope on that category (and I was also aware that most Golden Globe winners for Best Song from the past decade haven’t been Oscar nominees).

I really need to see Animal Kingdom - I’m guessing Jacki Weaver’s nomination will be top news here in Australia tomorrow morning.