2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees

ELO never nominated. What a joke! And the rest of this list. Perhaps they should rename this thing, because it sure isn’t reflective of a “ROCK AND ROLL” hall of fame. Beastie Boys, RunDMC, are you kidding me. And I actually like both of these acts–they’re just not ROCK AND ROLL. Maybe the Beatles should be in the RAP HALL OF FAME. LOL!

We Built This City by Starship should be the official song of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

It may not have been obvious, since this thread on the nominations was started in September, but the results of the election were announced earlier this week (which is what led to this thread being resurrected). See WordMan’s post from yesterday for the results.

I’m not much of a music guy, and rarely have I heard of much of the artists that get in but my only two cents is that I believe Joan Jett and the Blackhearts should be in simply for proving that girls can rock (and rock hard and rock well).

I’d also say with no real scientific evidence to prove otherwise Chili Peppers do not deserve to be in because while their sound was original, I can’t imagine their music “enhancing the progression of rock” or whatever. I’m sure they’re out there but there aren’t many modern bands citing RHCP as their idols

You’re right about JJ and the Blackhearts; she is the Godmother of the Riot Grrl movement. Her not getting in was simply silly.

You are wrong about the RHCP’s - their mix of punk/funk and rappy/choppy vocals has gotten so woven into the fabric of pop that it may not be as obvious. They, along with, say, Rage Against the Machine, are the bands that emerged from that mid-90’s hard-rock/punk/rap/metal scene with their critical dignity intact…

Guns n Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Cure
Heart
Donovan, if I’m allowed a 6th, the Beastie Boys.

Reasons like this is why I started with “I’m not much of a music guy…” I was only going off a very paltry knowledge of music and probably confused RHCP genre of music with, say, Sublime.

Glad I got one out of the two of my statements right though :slight_smile:

Anyone want to make a bet with me that Axl doesn’t even show up for the ceremony?