2021 US West drought and wildfire thread

Here’s some news:

I know I’ve had the thought that maybe masks are a good idea for reasons other than the pandemic, eh.

I-70 is closed in Glenwood Canyon, CO; 108 people had to be evacuated. (3 minute video)

No, it’s definitely not. Northern Ontario is basically unpopulated compared to California so you don’t hear about the fires as much, but my family in Red Lake were on evacuation alert for a few weeks because of three fires that at one point were a combined 350,000 hectares (865,000 acres). Basically all of the large towns were at least on alert this year, some of the fly-in reserves have been evacuated, and Woodland Caribou national park is shut down. Forestry and road construction have been severely restricted - both pretty important industries up North. The ten year average for fires is 582; to date there have been 1023.

Wow; thanks much for the update on the situation in Canada. We all heard about Lytton, BC of course but other than that kind of incredible tragedy, we don’t seem to hear much about y’all.

Greenville, CA - Dixie Fire

Also California:
https://apnews.com/article/business-environment-and-nature-california-droughts-1d5f10c263fd55883783d79cd34ebb8f

We were able to get in our first day biking portion of the trip. We then fell back to our plan B camping location in Idaho. We got there and found out they had evacuated the small campground the night before and the road going up the river was blocked at that point. We decided that wasn’t the place for us to stay so we went down then river, then up a creek and found an amazing campsite right on the creek. Absolutely isolated - not sure there was anyone else within many miles. We did get a float in the next day and got to watch the fire fighting helicopter scoop up water from up fairly close.

So, it was a successful trip with some alterations to try and avoid the many fires and worst of the air pollution.

Potentially very bad incident starting to blow up - River fire near Colfax. Tons of very dry, unburned fuels and lots of homes in the area. This on top of the Dixie fire pushing in on Chester.

Things here in Las Vegas are hazy. I can barely see the mountains to the north and west of town, and everything beyond Sunrise Mountain (to the east) is obscured or not visible at all.

And it looks like the next few days are gonna be hard, too:

Pay attention to developments like these. They won’t grab the headlines but this is a trend that is only going to head in one direction. California produces about 13% of all domestically generated food production. It’s a major part of the state’s economy. It’s getting more and more difficult for insurance companies not only to insure but to reinsure property out West.

As I’ve said before, we will suffer the economic consequences well before we suffer the very worst of climate change.

Due to rescue folks ending up in the hospital after rescuing people who just have to hike popular Phoenix trails during the hot parts of the day, some trails are being closed between 10am and 4pm.

Of course, people will defy the closed signs and barricades and sadly, more rescue folks will end up in the hospital because they are obligated to rescue idiots.

We have something called the Stupid Motorist law, which says that if you are stupid enough to drive into moving water and have to be rescued, you will be responsible for the costs of your rescue.

Hopefully a Stupid Hiker law will be passed soon.

More from Greenville, CA:

The 3-week-old fire has grown to over 428 square miles (1,108 square kilometers) across Plumas and Butte counties.

Prolly just about the last from Greenville, CA (the headline says all):

Dixie Fire, which destroyed Greenville, grew about 110 square miles overnight. It’s the 3rd biggest wildfire in CA history and it’s only 35% contained. I’m well southwest of it, but the smoke here is getting bad. Hazy air, and it burns the lungs and eyes even indoors.

Maybe we should use the military more than we already do to fight these fires. It’s much easier to stop fires early. This monster will be going for weeks.

Guess what - the kicker is that PG&E started this one too. I hereby move for state ownership of utility companies.

The AP ran this piece about Lake Powell:

Oroville Dam has ceased generating power:

Depending on the news outlet, Dixie’s now either largest or second largest single wildfire in the state’s history. Awful. Looks like PG&E may be on the hook for another monster fire.

Yes, it looks like PG&E again. Public ownership of utilities needs to happen. PG&E clearly doesn’t care to invest in solving their problems. Turn off power and kill people who need it - yes. Blow up entire neighborhoods and kill people - yes. Burn down hundreds of thousands of acres and kill people - yes. What do they care - they’ll just declare bankruptcy and do the same things, again and again.

Can they declare bankruptcy twice within two years?

In any event, insurance is going to be a real problem going forward. This could be the beginning of permanently dry and hot weather conditions, which will impact everything from farming to timber to housing. And there’s the issue of air quality. It’s sometimes said that California is the bellwether for the rest of the nation, and this could be true in an ominous sense now.

Smoke is back in my neighborhood, thick as ever. Had a short respite but now its back. :frowning: