2022 US Senate Races

I give him all the credit for that, I just wish there was someone as effective as he on the other side. He’s really, really good at what he does, as much as I absolutely hate the ends he puts his skills toward.

It would be strange to mention a Senator who was reelected in 2018 and not up for another election until 2024 in a 2022 election thread, yes.

Looking at these predictions, it seems to me that the Democrats will at least maintain the 50-50 tie they need to maintain control. The only seats where the incumbent party is not at least marginally favored to win are WI, OH, and PA, all Republicans. It would be nice to get all three and then kill the filibuster and tell Manchin and Sinema to go pound sand.

Indeed it would.

That’s assuming there are currently 47 Democrats against keeping the filibuster.

I’m not sure that’s the case.

Just because a senator is not publicly in favor of keeping the filibuster doesn’t mean they’d vote to get rid of it. Some are probably happy to keep Sinema and Manchin in the crosshairs of activists from the left and not need to stake out a position that would make them a target.

Really the only things to be gleaned from that map is that incumbents generally get reelected and purple states are purple. I wouldn’t read too much predictive value into it.

Risking a derail, I gotta say I’m not convinced, at all, that McConnell would’ve been able to outperform Biden/Pelosi to get any better resluts for the dems.
He would’ve had to deal with what the obstructed democrats are having to deal with now - woulda gotten nowhere, or certainly no further than where the dems are at, now, to be sure.

Band name!

Eeh, depending on when. If democrats had had someone as competent and effective as he has been throughout his entire career, I bet we’d be in much better shape these days. Even just counting from when he became minority leader in 2007. If it’s just in the last couple years, then sure. Nobody could flip things around that easily.

It’s a lot easier to stop things than to accomplish things.

It’s a lot easier to stop things than to accomplish things - because that bears repeating.

You can say that again!

Meanwhile, in Georgia:

And in the Keystone State:

It’s hard to overstate the importance of winning Pennsylvania ( and Wisconsin and North Carolina) because we don’t get a crack at replacing Sinema until '24.

I’m almost – not quite, but almost – to the point of believing that candidates don’t matter anymore beyond the “R” or “D” after their name. Partisan affiliation and motivation is so strong that the candidate’s character, experience and personal history are entirely irrelevant.

Regarding the Republicans, we are certainly at that point already. If you are a Republican candidate and troll the libs to an acceptable degree, the party base will let you get away with ANYTHING. The Dems aren’t at that point yet; I do fear that things might drift that way, if the Republicans refuse to hold any of their candidates accountable. I mean, why fret over what your candidate may or may not have done if the other side isn’t going to do so.

You want Sinema replaced with a Republican?

I’m guessing Red_Wiggler means Sinema should be replaced with an actual Democrat.

We’re gonna primary Sinema with that deep Democratic bench in Arizona?

I tire of her Maverick act as well, but a primary challenge is laughable.

Yes, the best way to control your “mavericks” is to have a majority that doesn’t rely on them.