2024 US Senate Elections

Too early to talk about the 2024 races? I guarantee you the party poohbahs are already talking about them! With the very important caveat that one 2022 Senate race is yet to be determined, below is my take on the state of the 2024 Senate races.

The full list of “Class 1” Senate seats up for election can be found here. There likely will also be a special election in Nebraska to fill resigning Senator Ben Sasse’s seat.

An important consideration is that these elections will (obviously) take place concurrently with the 2024 Presidential election, and in the last two Presidential elections there was only one instance (Maine in 2020) where a state voted for Presidential and Senate candidates of different parties. Also, we don’t know yet what many incumbents plan to do, which will obviously have a big impact on the state of play. There’s only one confirmed open seat so far – Mike Braun of Indiana has announced he’ll run for governor rather than reelection.

Looking at the seats in play – which I would define as either a state with a Cook PVI of five or less or any incumbent bucking his/her state’s partisan lean – I’d group them thusly:

Do You Believe in Miracles?
Montana, Ohio and West Virginia (all Democratic incumbents)
These are the three states that Trump convincingly won in 2016 and 2020 and have Democratic incumbents up for reelection. All three have a significant R partisan lean. J.D. Vance just handily won an open Senate seat race in Ohio despite running a lazy campaign. The advantage Democrats have is that all three incumbents are battle-tested and have built their own brands back home independent of their party affiliation. This gives them a shot. But if Manchin, Tester or Brown retire, their seats are gone.

Living on the Edge
Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin (all Democratic incumbents)
These states went to Biden in 2020 but by less than the nationwide average. They will undoubtedly be battlegrounds in the Presidential election. Four of them had close Senate elections this past cycle – Republicans held Wisconsin and lost in Pennsylvania, Arizona and Nevada. As in this election, candidate quality could be critical. Liberals in Arizona are threatening to primary Sinema, but a more liberal candidate may not be a better general election candidate in a Presidential election year.

Ride the Red Wave
Maine, Minnesota, New Mexico, Virginia (all [functionally] Democratic Incumbents)
These states have relatively small (+1 to +3) Democratic leans and could be competitive. Republicans notably cleaned up in Virginia’s off-year state elections last year. But all four have seasoned incumbents, and with the sheer number of targets Republicans will have this cycle they may have to make some choices about which ones they prioritize.

Uhm . . . No.
Texas and Florida (Republican incumbents)
Should be competitive-ish on paper – last time Trump carried TX by 5.5% and FL by 3.5%, Cruz and Scott had close elections last time. But the bottom fell out in Florida this year, and Texas is only trending a little bluer than recent history because it could not possibly have gotten much redder. The Democratic Party in both states is depleted with no obvious candidates in the wings.

So all-in-all, a very favorable set up for Republicans. If Warnock prevails in Georgia, Republicans will need to net two Senate seats OR one Senate seat plus the Vice Presidency to control the Senate. If Walker wins, they will need a one seat pickup, or they won’t need any seats if the win the White House. Honestly, it’s hard to see how they don’t end up controlling the Senate after 2024, but stranger things have happened!

I live in Montana, and the scuttlebutt is that Jon Tester isn’t going to run for reelection. He’s a working farmer and has other priorities at the moment. A reporter asked him yesterday, and he said he hasn’t decided.

We’re hoping Jon runs again, but if he doesn’t, that seat will likely go to a Republican. Ryan Zinke just got elected to the House and was forced to resign from Trump’s cabinet due to financial scandals.

The Republicans now have a super-majority in the state legislature, and there is a Republican Governor. Montana is sometimes said to be purple, but it’s going red pretty fast these days, and I don’t see any reason for that to change.

If Tester and Manchin run, Ds keep those seats. Otherwise they flip. Don’t look for Michigan to flip, that year will be Debbie Stabenow’s turn to beat John James and 2026 will be Peters’ turn. I think the Dems’ best chance for a pickup it TX, because let’s face it- it’s Ted Fucking Cruz.

Texas and Florida are both a waste of time and money for Democrats in 2024. Cruz is pretty well despised but the Ds don’t have a bench at all. Beto is done and neither Castro will stand a chance.

The Democrats would be better served to take their money and try to shore up seats they already hold. There may be a pickup or two out there but TX and FL are not realistic.

Two years is a long time. Maybe Trump gets pissed off and tries to derail the GOP. Maybe dark money helps Trump independent candidates run in every competitive state, bombarding with ads that the GOP is chicken for giving up on Trump and that candidate X, endorsed by Trump, is the only real conservative. Maybe…

Thanks for this on-the-ground insight! I don’t know that I’d characterize Montana as purple, more cherry red with a notable anomaly. Tester is the last of the Plains State Democrats, who used to make up a sizable chunk of the Senate Democrats. Somewhat analogous to Susan Collins as the last of the New England Senate Republicans, although Montana has a much higher partisan lean than Maine. That he was able to be reelected in 2018 even as Democratic incumbents were being rejected in North Dakota and Missouri is deeply impressive.

I certainly do hope that he runs, although I can understand why he might not. It can’t be easy or fun to be the one man standing athwart the tide.

Tester tries to work with Republicans, such as Montana Senator Steve Daines, but he must sometimes feel pretty lonely. He strongly supports our Vets, a dominant voting group in Montana, and I think that’s helped him win in the past.

As far as Montana being purple or red, an anti-abortion initiative on the 2022 ballot (Referendum No. 131) lost, which shouldn’t have happened in a red state. Montanans don’t like their rights being taken away, and the state legislature misread how people felt about it.

We also reelected a liberal state supreme court justice (Ingrid Gustafson) even though Republicans threw millions of dollars to try to get her replaced by a very right-wing lawyer. So two small victories this year for the blue team. If we could figure out a way to get the 34 and under folks to vote, we’d do much better in these elections, but that’s not unique to Montana.

Synema’s (hopeful!) primary challenger, Ruben Gallego, should surely be a better look for '24.
I like how James Carville put it, from article:

Indiana Senator Mike Braun has officially filed to run for Governor, which means that Indiana will have an open seat race in 2024. While Indiana had a Democratic Senator as recently as 2018, the state is ruby red and this is unlikely to be competitive. The state also seems to have abandoned its tradition of electing serious, sensible Republicans like Richard Lugar and Dan Coats so I expect the seat will go to a MAGA loon.

Find the Fetterman of Indiana, and hope a MAGA loon wins the primary, and maybe the Dems will have a shot.

This is all very early, and the elephant in the room is whether Trump is the GOP nominee.

I think the median outcome is probably GOP+2 (MT and WV depend on nominee, WI could be tough, AZ and NV will always be close).

The saving grace for the Dems may be how nationalized Senate elections have become. Very few states are likely to vote Dem for President and GOP for Senate (or vice versa). Which obviously hurts in MT, OH, and WV but could save their bacon in all of those swing-state incumbent races.

Basically the Democrats need Warnock to win and need at least two of Manchin, Tester, and Brown to run again. Then hope the GOP nominates a wack-a-loon in two of those states so voters can vote for Trump and the Democratic incumbent Senator. Then they may be able to hold the Senate.

Yep, one of the things you’ve really seen over the last couple decades is how consolidated the states have become in the Senate along partisan lines. As I mentioned, in the last two presidential election years, only one out of 67 states voted for a Senator and a Presidential candidate of different parties. That’s unprecedented.

And it’s not a dynamic that works to Democrats’ advantage, because there are many more states that lean Republican than lean Democrat. By one measure (Cook Partisan Index), there are 31 states that lean more R than the nationwide vote for President in 2016 and 2020, compared to 19 that lean more Democratic. Trump has managed to keep Democrats in the game through his own ineptitude. But if another Republican candidate leads a red wave in 2024 – managing to claim those outlier seats in OH, WV and MN and knock off a couple of swing state Democrats – it could be a looong time before Democrats are in a position to take back the chamber.

Incumbent Democratic Senator Debbie Stabenow of Michigan announced this morning that she will be not seek reelection next year. This makes Michigan another juicy target for Republicans who are already have plenty of juicy targets in 2024.

Ooof. That doesn’t help.

2024 is going to be very rough for Democrats unless the GOP goes full Chernobyl around the Trump/Non-Trump issue.

I guess if Whitmer doesn’t opt for a POTUS/VPOTUS run the would be the leading Democratic candidate here? She will be term-limited out as governor in 2026.

Hmmm… Whitmer should be the front runner. This would give Gilchrist two years as governor before running for election on his own. I’d like to see my own rep, Elissa Slotkin, have a go if Whitmer won’t.

This guy could give our Sherrod Brown a run for his money.

He won’t win the primary. He already lost to JD Vance this time around - no way the right-wing of the GOP lets him through this time either.

Why? It’s in the article you linked:

That will be disqualifying in a GOP primary in 2024, especially with Trump running.

ETA: But yes, this is exactly the type of candidate that could beat Brown.

Well, it’s not impossible that Republican primary voters learned a lesson from this last election cycle that voting for the Trumpiest candidate in the primary may not be the smartest play for the general election. Certainly, a candidate having the Trump imprimatur isn’t going to be enough to scare off more establishment candidates as happened in Georgia.

Mayor Pete?

He changed his residence to Michigan last year (and it was heavily rumored at the time he was setting up a potential run for Senate or Governor). However, after Debbie Stabenow announced her retirement, he said he was not interested in running for the open Senate seat.