24: Season 7: Episode 10 (5:00pm - 6:00pm)

So when are Chloe and Janis going to interact in some way? I want to see the Queen of Snark training her new Padawan…

Oh! Oh! The ‘high value target’ is the White House! And the congressman’s evil assistant doesn’t want to be there when it goes boom.

I figured it out!

Or is it obvious?

Maybe the attack is targeting the White House.

I’m guessing this because:

• they made a big deal of moving Madame President to the White House because Bill couldn’t guarantee her safety at the hospital
  • Madame President insisted on keeping the First Daughter at the White House, to guarantee her safety
  • Ryan seemed a little worried when the text message came in saying “Units in place. Attack ready to proceed” or something like that – right after the Senator said, “Hey Buddy, I want you to come over to the White House with me!”

randwill: Yep, guess it was obvious…

HISSSS Janis, I am your Network Administrator. HISSSS

I figured the Prez would be their next target if Plan A blew up in their faces. Now in a body bag or in a secret cell somewhere is the question.

Vice President: “Boy, am I glad I stayed in the Undisclosed Secret Bunker today!”

When Creepy Guy said, “I want to see my lawyer”, I half expected Moss to go all Jack Bauer on him instead.

Moss: “Here, let me just put my finger into this upper arm bullet wound of yours… Hey, wait! You’re not feeling any pain! You used a ketchup bullet on this one!”

Not sure that should be under the FAQ rules rather than summary, but still funny.

Damn you for saying what I’ve somehow not managed to say in three of these threads!

You crack me up.

Yeah, I can’t believe the data file managed to make it safely to Moss and Chloe’s waiting hands without being diverted, erased, and replaced by a string of smileys.

But how are they supposed to lock down the FBI HQ when they don’t know who to use to lock it down? <blink, blink>

Auto-friggin-erase. Yeah, that’s a smart design feature. Let’s put that on our pocket flash drives, because nobody could ever want to, you know, save their files.

And I love Chloe’s work around. “When I’m using sensitive data, I always make a copy on an outside (i.e. external, non-secured, unprotected, violating the law) server. Because I’m that good.”

And of course the server format didn’t include her external server. It was set up to format the servers in the one system, not hunt down any computer linked via the world wide web and reformat them, too.

Well,

If you watched the preview, you would know. But I guess this has to be in a spoiler per the OP, so yes, the target is the Pres at the White House.

Yes, I was thinking that is either going to be incredibly convenient for Jack, or incredibly inconvenient for somebody.

So I was wondering what happened to Tony. He just magically disappeared. But now he’s back and reminded us, I mean Jack, that he said he had a lead to run down.

Debaku: “Honey, I’m not evil, the government is lying about me. Hey, that’s a government official, a very corrupt and evil man. I’m glad I will not have to work with his type any more.” So what does the company you keep say about you?

Well, since I started putting the rules in that format (FAQ Bauer), I’ve always added a phony #3 question. Mostly just to amuse myself. Eventually a few people noticed… :wink:

I just realized – it must be a DRM-laden drive manufactured by the RIAA. Wouldn’t want those MP3s to multiply! Dubaku figured it was ideal for his secret government traitor list. No use keeping a chip in your chest if those names just end up bittorrented after all…

Hey! I just realized! What ever happened to that guy from the DA’s office? Mr. Sideplot, Attorney at Law… Is he still in the FBI waiting room, drinking his 24th cup of coffee, angrily demanding to be allowed to question Janis? I don’t think we’ve seen him for quite a few hours now.

Of all the things that have happened on this show in all the years it has been on, I believe this is the most unbelievable. Does anything else top it?

Moleman and his side-hoochie walking around the office casually discussing their treasonous plans within earshot of dozens of coworkers?

I always change the channel before the previews roll, but Irishman’s spoiler, having pretty much confirmed my prediction, means yet again I’m out of here. Perhaps I’ll try shunting my consciousness to a parallel universe which has a political thriller program which covers 24 hours in real time, but actually makes an attempt to be interesting, intelligent, provocative, compelling, and reasonably unpredictable. Perhaps 24 was all those things, at one time long ago, but it isn’t now.

Lesson learned: If you’re trying to escape the country and you discover your waitress girlfriend is working with the FBI and that they’re trackin her you stay as far away from her as possible. If you feel bad about it just send her a postcard later.

I have echo everyone else’s WTF concerning the self-erasing flash drive. Specifically, Weasel-Boy’s * entire plan * for reformatting the servers depended on the flash drive being a read-once device. How would he know?

A few other WTF’s from that scene. Five minutes after being ** shot in the arm at close range **, his boss tells him to head downstairs to talk to a shrink. No hospital? No paperwork?

The EMT was somehow able to identify a metal plate under Dubaku’s skin? Even though pretty much no flash drives are made of metal? Just how was Dubaku updating that flash drive? Regular backups must have been real, real painful. Just how likely is it that attempts to defillibrate through the flash drive would have left it undamaged? Even static can destroy IC’s.
They were really piling on the “Jack is a heartless bastard” theme during the Dubaku interrogation. Oh yeah, “I’ll track down your kid and take away his Playstation.” Dubaku had plenty of time earlier in the day to do his homework on Jack – the guy who traded in his liberty for a pack of kids in the two hour prequel.

I can’t figure out why the President would have to think twice about pardoning Jack. In fact it’s completely baffling. This is a guy who rescued her husband, stopped the terrorist attack and, in the past, has saved the country from plagues, nuclear attacks, and mountain lions (I think). Cut him some slack.

“Having a fine time torturing the local peasants. Wish you were here.”

You’re right. Maybe he went home when he found out Agent Rowrr was dead. Except she isn’t dead.

Speaking of which, Traitor guy was all calmly explaining to Girlfriend Flake how he delayed Jack and Agent Rowrr with the police, but I was trying to figure out how he knew she was still alive. He finally mentioned bugging the office, okay, but then how did Girlfriend Flake know and take it so casually? “Wait, Walker is alive? How did that happen?”

Yes, that irked me, too. You don’t have a private super secret conversation that will get you arrested and interrogated by Jack while walking through the office mumbling to each other. I mean, you can discuss your sex life and how you’re cheating on your wife and all, but don’t let slip something that will get Jack on your case. :wink:

Presumably he didn’t need to update it. He didn’t put it under his skin until very close to the day of the event, so it was as up to date as possible. He didn’t need the hold card until after the stuff went down, and he needed to keep himself alive. Before the stuff went down, the bad guys wanted him alive to do the stuff.

Yeah, but those were innocent victims of a genocidal civil war, not the children of a heartless bastard terrorist that Jack needed to control. Said same homework on Jack would reveal his ability to torture anyone if it got him what he wanted.

But that would short-circuit Jack’s desire to have public debate about the methods he uses and their value to the good of society. We can’t have that.

Speaking of Jack and dumb things, so they’re in the Taurus racing across the city to catch up to Debaku in the Jeep, and Jack veers left across traffic, through a park nearly running over some dumbass without the sense to get out of the way of an oncoming car, then swerves back into traffic behind the Jeep, and THEN decides he needs to warn Walker to “Hang On!”. Like up to that point, she was obliviously taking a nap, but now it’s going to get serious.

Now that you mention it…the DC police were able to somehow roadblock Jack and Agent Rowwrr in 20 seconds, but when there’s a high speed pursuit through rush hour traffic, they’re nowhere to be found. And speaking of high speed pursuit – this is 5:30 on a weekday in D.C. Would traffic actually be moving at all?

How does Jack avoid all the paperwork? He’s wrecked at least two cars today and hijacked another. Wouldn’t he be spending the rest of his mortal life filling out insurance forms?

An MST3K version of 24 would be fantastic.

Except that there was no obvious scar before the EMT yielded to Jack’s orders and ended his career by performing surgery on a patient in the middle of a busy road. Really, embedding the drive in the recent past would have defeated the purpose, because the wound would be pretty obvious. (And really, if I were embedding something the size of a flash drive in my flesh, I’d do it where there were fewer nerve ending and where the scar wouldn’t show – maybe the back of the calf or under the hairline).

Of all the ridiculous things in this episode, one that I did NOT think was ridiculous was Jack handing the drive to a random agent. In fact, doing so is fairly reasonable. If someone comes up to him and says “I’m agent so and so, Larry Moss sent me to help you out” then it’s reasonable to think that this person might have been sent by the baddies. But picking out just some random guy from a bunch of agents must give him overwhelmingly good odds that this is someone who is NOT corrupt.

Granted, he’d be better off taking it himself. I mean, why does he need to go to the hospital?
Still, despite all the totally preposterous BS, I’m still enjoying the heck out of this season.