24: Season 7: Episode 8 (3:00pm - 4:00pm)

I think they’re talking about the lives of thousands of Sangalans.

The thing protecting the Sangalans is the American forces. The only thing that was threatening to hold back the American forces was the CIP device.

I’m willing suspend my disbelief to the extent that Jack can drive from one end of Washington to the other in 5 minutes, but when Jack, who is in downtown Washington and having been told the bad guy is on the beltway (which encircles D.C.) heading toward Andrews AFB, says “I’ll save some time by taking Connecticut Avenue”, that’s like someone in New York who has to drive to Miami Beach saying “I’ll save some time by driving by way of North Dakota.”

“But it’s one way!”

We all saw that coming, right? :slight_smile:

Yeah, right. She’ll be dead in the next 2 hours.

“Have you told anyone about my evil secret?”

“No, I haven’t told anyone. I’m just sitting here in my wheelchair in my non-handicap accessible apartment. And I just used up the last of my minutes on my phone. And the walls here are real thick. Why do you ask?”

-Joe

What about all the stuff that is happening / will happen because of the conspiracy that are unrelated to the CIP device? Such as kidnapping the Sangalan leader, the First Gentleman, and whatever else the bad guys would do to get President Taylor to back off and let the genocide continue?

Jon Voight and his cohort are probably not there to just look menacing.

More accurate an analogy than you might realize since Jack’s “driving” down the one-way street happened to be a street in downtown Los Angeles.

But I’ll give them points for accuracy since Olive actually is a one-way street. :slight_smile:

Someone mentioned on TWoP that for legal reasons, the geography of DC has to be skewed.

Now, see, something had better come of this wheelchair-sister subplot. Maybe she calls the FBI/5-0 to report Dubaku while he’s on his way (by foot!) to her apartment, and that sets off flags that escape the notice of the mole(s).

Then Jack & co. find the hot girlfriend and send her undercover to catch Dubaku (no, it doesn’t make any sense, but this happens every season, so just roll with it), and she plays along but at the last moment, pissed that Dubaku used her, she stabs/shoots him, thus killing their only lead to the real big bads (Jon Voight or possibly Tony).

What kind of possible sense could that make? Copyright infringement? Terrorists don’t know how to work maps so they use 24 to figure out how to cross any city in under two minutes?

Anyone?

-Joe

Sorry if this has been well-covered, but I’m not reading the thread:

Did the presidential press conference last night screw up the scheduling any?

Please PM replies. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Knead
That Crazy Watch-Em-All at Once Guy

I loved how, in the middle of a major terrorist operation, with full knowledge that he is currently the most wanted man on the planet, Dubaku decides that his top priority is to head over the his girlfriend’s sister’s place to stop her from interfering in their relationship/exposing him as an illegal immigrant. Apparently he trembles in mortal fear of the aforementioned letter of warning from INS, followed by maybe another letter several months later, assuming they don’t completely lose track of him like they tend to do. How long was he planning on staying undercover in the U.S. anyway? Wasn’t he going to be the right hand man to General Whatshisname in Sangala?

On the other hand, we got another awesome Jack Bauer Slide-of-Death, which made up for some of the stupid.

Because I know nothing of immigration law, I’m curious: would the sister’s notification to the INS cause Dubaku any difficulty in getting on a plane to return to Sengala when he wanted to leave the US? Might it put him on some kind of watch list that would get him detained on his way out?

Ok, why is the president and company all good with bringing Jack on board to help finding the First Gentleman but not willing to provide, you know, any kind of material support? I know the goverment is supposed to be rife with people that Dubaku has paid off but seriously, he has to backdoor that pissy FBI leader guy to get phone records? They couldn’t even hook a Bauer up with some provisions from the Marine baracks at 8th and I? They clearly gave him that SUV he was driving before he carjacked the product placement, why not an M-4 or just anything that might be helpful? He doesn’t even have any more fricking bullets.

Anyway, best line of the season so far last night. “With all due respect Madam President…ask around.”

Supposedly, they couldn’t risk getting Jack any resources because it risks tipping off the shadow conspiracy. So, essentially, the rationale they gave for going to the President in the first place doesn’t make sense. The real reason was to have them around for when President Taylor got the hostage call, so they could drive the plot forward with the cast regulars in place to see more action.

It does sort of make sense, though, because Jon Voight could… dun dun DUN… “find out” if FBI traitor #2, or random White House eavesdropper #3 learn about Jack Bauer’s involvement.

Actually, the SUV was FBI dude’s. Jack asks him for the keys, he begrudgingly obliges.

But yeah, a few supplies might have been nice. Can you imagine how easy that would have been in the Sekrit Lair if Jack had a flash grenade?

I just want to throw in as an aside that, due to a very odd combination of being planted in front of the television on a Monday night and having nothing of interest recorded on the PVR, last night was the first time in approximately five years that I’ve watched an episode of “24” as it was being broadcast. My wife despises watching commercial breaks, so even if we’re normally ready to watch our shows as they come on, we usually wait about half an hour so there’s enough buffer to skip all the commercials.

I think that I enjoy watching the commercial breaks more since they tie in with the passage of time in the show. <shrug>

No, because INS no longer exists. :slight_smile:

Seriously though, it would not cause any problems. The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) doesn’t particularly care if you leave the country. For the most part, they’re only concerned about people entering. (I say “for the most part” because I’m sure that there must be some oddball situations in which they might care, but those are doubtlessly rather contrived circumstances.)

That’s right, I forgot that part. Man, if he was pissed about what Jack did to that secret service agent he’s going to be super pissed when President Palmer revokes his car insurance.

[Dennis Haysbert] What if a former CTU agent appropriates your car and crashes it into fourteen other vehicles? Are you covered?[/Dennis Haysbert]