25+ injured in Chelsea, NYC explosion

Not without mixing it with another substance (I seem to recall he used a couple of other substances).

Per wikipedia, you mix it with 6% fuel oil to make an explosive called ANFO, but you need to use another explosive, like dynamite, to detonate it. The Texas disaster was apparently caused by firefighters pumping in steam, pressurizing and superheating the ammonium nitrate.

No he used ANFO of which ammonium nitrate is one component.

Another bomb has been found at the train station in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

5 in custody. No charges yet.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/fbi-takes-several-into-custody-with-possible-connection-to-chelsea-bombing/?client=ms-android-motorola

So… trolls?

Ahmed Rahami from Elizabeth NJ sought for the NYC bombing. Right now they are not officially linking him to the other bombs.

Got him. Very glad the officer will be ok.

Suspect arrested after a shootout. NBC was the first to report, CNN is now running the story. Very quick work by law enforcement.

Fingerprint on the bomb lead to the suspect. That’s pretty definitive they got the right guy.

No word yet if the car with 5 people stopped under the railway bridge are involved. Last report said they were being questioned by FBI.

Astoundingly fast work! If he’s the right guy, I have to give huge props to the LEO who worked this case. Good job, folks!

ETA: AP story here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MANHATTAN_EXPLOSION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-19-12-10-17

It doesn’t look like the guy ever intended to cover his tracks, not just the fingerprints but cell phones and other clues from the unexploded bombs (safe to call them bombs now?).

Unconfirmed through outside sources but I’ve heard it was family members of the suspect.

He probably figured the phone evidence would be destroyed by the bomb.
I wonder how his fingerprints came to be on record?

I thought it was now SOP to take fingerprints of new immigrants; is that incorrect?

I think you need fingerprinting just to apply.

There “Emergency Alerts” function on every cellphone in the area went off this morning giving the name of the suspect. I wonder if the quick capture is as a result of that. Not too far removed from the cyberpunk trope of the protagonist’s face suddenly appearing on every screen in the area.

I can’t actually remember if I was fingerprinted at any point during my green card or naturalization applications. I’d put money on “yes, I’ve just forgotten”. I do remember that you get fingerprinted when entering the US on a foreign passport. That seems a likely event in the history of someone who ended up naturalized.

Once I had a green card I was just waved through with only the most cursory of glances at my documents.

No, that doesn’t appear to have been a factor. From [the AP story I linked earlier:

](http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MANHATTAN_EXPLOSION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-09-19-12-10-17)

Per AP Radio News, the FBI now says Rahami is linked to Saturday’s bombs.