5/5 - Hugh Howey's SF Silo Series to be series on Apple TV

Silo Trailer

Pretty solid cast. Loved the book series. Looking forward to the TV series.

Only read the first one. Remember loving it, but don’t recall any of the plot, which is probably good for a watching perspective. I’m on board.

I liked the books – if the reviews are good, I may splurge for Apple+.

I read all the books. They definitely came in groupings: Wool, Shift, and Dust. I think I liked the first grouping best but the whole thing kept me interested enough to finish the entire series.

Unfortunately, I don’t have (or intend to get) access to Apple TV so I’ll have to wait until my library gets a copy.

Definitely watching this once it’s bingeable.

I’ve watched the first two episodes. Not surprising, while they are following the first book, it’s not the order of the original plot line, and some license has been taken…I assume with Hugh Howey’s blessing as he is one of the producers. The acting is very good, and the set design is great.

I watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them. I originally read Wool way way back when it was first published as a single volume vs. the original set of short stories. I went on to read Silo and then Dust, both of which I did not find as good a read. Since it’s been a long time, the storyline of Wool is a bit hazy at this point. I recall the high-points and the main twists but can’t say where or if the first two episodes have done any significant deviations yet.

The set design is great, really love the aesthetics and feel which match all my recollections of the book.

They offer a 7 day free trial.

As I said, I don’t have or intend to get Apple TV. I’ll wait for my library to get it on DVD.

Maybe, maybe not. Many production companies are no longer producing movies and television series onto physical media. Warner Bros. announced in 2021 that they will slowly begin transitioning away from releasing titles on physical media and only on streaming services. Netflix just recently ended its DVD by mail service. DVD players in the US decreased from 10.6 million sold in 2017 to just 3 million sold in 2022, a 72% decrease in just 5 years.

Again:

I don’t have or intend to get Apple TV

I subscribe to 1 streaming service at a time. There are a half-dozen I’d chose to switch to before Apple TV.

If services refuse to release things on a platform or in a format that I find convenient too bad for them. I refuse to become chained to what is convenient for them. One reason I like physical media is that I am not beholden to the whims of streaming services. Also, I am not required to be on the internet to watch something enjoyable. This became somewhat important for a bit last year when my local area lost internet access for a week and I still wanted to be entertained. I also own a number of short-lived vintage TV shows that, so far as I know, have never been on a streaming service and that I would be unable to see if I didn’t have the DVD’s.

I have tried “owning” digital versions of a couple things. I’m still uneasy about the concept.

I view it a bit like threats that no one will be publishing treebooks in X number of years - I doubt the format will disappear entirely in my lifetime, either.

Just saw the first episode - it’s very, very good IMO. I read the books years ago and enjoyed them but only remember the broad outlines of the story.

Modnote: Please don’t make off-topic posts like this in threads about Shows & Movies. It is a distraction and adds nothing to a thread about a specific show.

I read Wool for sure and a couple after that and I remember liking them but not many details. We are really enjoying this series, I convinced my partner to watch it and after watching the latest episode last night, he turned to me tonight, and said he really keeps thinking about the show and how much he’s into it already. I’m just glad we found something we can both watch and also glad I don’t remember the books that much except at least one important twist. I had the same experience with Station Eleven, book was lost in my memory but the series blew me away so hoping this will be a similar experience.

I’ve seen the three episodes that have been released so far, and nearly everything about it is good. The writing, acting, and in particular production design are top notch. I also really like the extent to which they’ve played with our expectations… so far, the two apparent obvious protagonists have both (we assume) died.

That said, one massive black mark against it is the genuinely ridiculous turbine scene, no bit of which made sense, either with respect to physics or human nature. That’s not how turbines work. That’s not how people act. That’s not how people make decisions. Just stupid, stupid manufactured tension. (Although I did appreciate that Cooper did not, in fact, die, although I’m sure we were all certain he would.)

You’d think they would have had a long brainstorming session before shutting down the turbine, and someone would have thought “maybe we can rig up a water hose to cool down the steam hatch from the beginning”, and “maybe we should set up some scaffolding and cranes to make the climb safe”. But no, better just to wing it.

Not to mention “hmm, this is probably the most momentous decision in the past 140 years… let’s gather together a bunch of smart people from all different departments and discuss it, make sure everyone knows what’s going on” rather than just committing with 8 seconds of thought.

I suppose a canon justification for rushing the procedure could be that they’re worried if everyone was informed, including the powerful IT and Judicial departments, they might prevent it from taking place – Juliette and the Mayor figured that they’d only get away with it if it was over and done with before anyone could object.

I mean, I guess? If one assumes that IT and Judicial are power-hungry somewhat shady bureaucracies (as one assumes), it makes sense why they would interfere with appointing a sheriff. But unless they’re genuinely stupid or suicidal, which I don’t think has been implied, there’s no reason they would object to a plan that is clearly necessary for the survival of the Silo.

And in fact, if the Mayor is genuinely concerned about pissing off and maintaining good relations with other departments, giving them some warning before a totally unprecedent interruption of society seems like a good idea.

I think it could be more like a power struggle - the mayor doesn’t trust that the other departments won’t try to screw her over, so she’s flexing her muscles a bit here, plus trying to get her preferred sheriff in place, before they can react. It’s more than clear that Judicial, and maybe IT, are outside the mayor and sheriff’s jurisdiction.