'70s or '80s karate movie stars black actor, red vest/jacket, who says "Leroy" ??

Heya!

I’m trying to identify a flick a friend told me about. He said it’s an '80s or '70s movie starring a big black guy who wears a red vest (or jacket) and is against a white guy named “Leroy.” He said that what really stands out is the main character frequently called out “Leroy” (something like “leeee-roy”?). He said it is aking to a karate movie, though not necessarily karate proper, maybe it’s just a lot of fighting. I asked if it was a crime movie, you know, mobs & gangs & whatnot, and he said it wasn’t–more of a tournament motif than crime.

He’s obsessed with remembering, but cannot place a finger on it. And now I’m curious as well.

Can anybody help? If so, will you? Thanks!

The Last Dragon?

Might you be thinking of The Last Dragon?

The only major discrepancies are that the hero’s name is Bruce Leroy, and he’s black.

But there is a mean black dude with a wild afro and a red vest - Sho’Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem. :smiley:
Wikipedia on the film.

Might you be thinking of The Last Dragon?

The only major discrepancies are that the hero’s name is Bruce Leroy, and he’s black.

But there is a mean black dude with a wild afro and a red vest - Sho’Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem. :smiley:
Wiki Link about the film.

Actually, as I recall, “Bruce Leroy” is what some OTHER people call him - he doesn’t call himself that. His name is just Leroy Green.

That’s it!

You guys kick ass.

Whoever says the SDMB ain’t worth a few bucks a year just ain’t trying.

Thanks!!!

(That’s right, FIVE exclamation points. And I’m not even wearing my underwear as a hat. That’s how cool the folk at the SDMB are.)

I-I’ve been hanging around the Dope SEVEN YEARS to answer a question about The Last Dragon. I take a nap and I missed it?? I missed a five exlamation thanks?

:: Growls, turns on Picker.::

:: Settles down. ::

Hmf. You just had to name yourself “Picker.” Goddamn it. I forsee any wordplay namecalling goin’ into ugly areas.

Ya snooze ya lose :smiley:

It’s alright - you can still scoop me on Red Dawn and Rudy trivia. I specialize only in esoteric 80’s guy movies.

[aside] I never even thought about the other connotations of the name picker before I chose it [/aside]

S’okay. I’m sure my mom never thought about kids calling me “asskisser” when she named me, either.

… or did she? Why that–!

At least he ain’t chicken.

But does he have the Glow?

May I just refer you to my rarely used sig. Also, part of my boardname, the Reloy part, is from the movie. When Leroy’s brother yells at the main character who is doing Katas on the apartment roof, he calls him Reloy. My nickname was Leroy until that scene. I was called Reloy from them on.

Man, I love that movie.

Then, like a moron, I forget the sig. :smack:

I know the feeling. I’ve actually seen this fucking movie, and I scrolled right by this thread.

For the curious, as far as I know, this is also the movie that made “Nigga, please!” into something of a catchphrase. I think the Wu-Tang Clan used a sample of the quote on an album.