70's/ Soft Rockers Underrated.

I know they’re famous but still. My sister sent me cd of Hall and Oates doing a live show…

THEY TORE IT UP!!! Seriously, Hall and Oates! :eek: I can’t believe how great they sounded.

Any other famous but looked-down-on acts that surprised you once you actually listened to them?

They’re on tour right now if you want to go see them.

I don’t know, Man! Parking is a Bitch at that fuckin’ Roller-Rink.

If you get Palladia (the TV station), Daryl (Hall) has a show on it.

He brings a guest in each week to his [Daryl’s] house to play with his band. They do a combination of Hall & Oats’ songs as well as the guest’s songs. It’s a pretty good show, even if you’re not a H&O fan, I recommend it.

Palladia has been renamed MTV Live, in case anyone’s looking for it.

Anyway, I saw Pablo Cruise in concert and really enjoyed it. I never cared much for their hits, so I guess the other stuff on their albums must have been better.

If they hit SoCal, I just might. If that was a typical show, it would be worth it.

I’m not familiar with Palladia or MTV Live but I’ll look it up. thx

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again:

You have never seen Hall & Oates and Brooks & Dunn in the same place at the same time. We’re through the looking glass here, folks…

That’s probably a good name for it. When I first found it, I used to tell people ‘it’s like MTV used to be, in that it plays all music all day long’. But MTV2 was (is?) still doing that. I watch a lot of Palladia and about 60-70% of it is concerts. Mostly outdoor music festival type stuff.

One of the best SNL performances I can remember was H&O doing their take on “Bring Back That Lovin’ Feeling”. It was stripped down, pure and, I must say, passionate.

Daryl Hall is a fucking amazing vocalist. He got started in Philly soul groups and earned his chops, and the H20 songs are extremely well crafted and hold up today, even if some sound a bit dated given the 80’s sounds used.

As for Pablo Cruise, Seals & Crofts, England Dan and John Ford Coley, that Wildfire song, etc. - a big Meh. That song “Sometimes When We Touch” - Argh! I would prefer a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, thanks. Those songs are part of the soundtrack of my life, but I usually change the channel when they come on in my brain :wink:

Some soft stuff was wonderful - Windy by the Association comes to mind. Some good Dan Fogelberg and John Denver. But hearing a few hairy guys singing strummy songs about trying to get a girl to hook up with them? Pass.

What, no love for “Chevy Van” then? :wink:

Hall & Oates are no joke. Both excellent musicians. I wanted to see them when their tour came to Nashville but I didn’t have the money.

ETA: Other 70’s era soft rockers who are undeservedly mocked: Air Supply. Your first reaction is that they are the height of cheesy love songs, probably – but they were an influential and fairly innovative group with soaring vocal ability.

At the time I dismissed them as bubble gum rockers, but I’ve become a real fan of Mouth and MacNeal. Watching their videos (who the hell knew people made videos in 1972?) is just fun. Most of them are lip-sync but who the hell cares? Their stage presence and chemistry just worked magic.

The seventies had lots of duos in the Simon & Garfunkel mode.

Seals & Crofts, Batdorf & Rodney, Crosby & Nash for a while, Brewer & Shipley. They were a Kansas City group that my college roommate turned me on to after he discovered them when he went to grad school at Kansas. They aimed more at FM than AM, “One Toke Over the Line” notwithstanding, so they were album-oriented and those albums were deep with fine music. Their live shows were supposed to be great fun.

I’ve found that most music is much better performed live (being there while it is performed, not a live album.) Even country music rocks live.

When it was announced that Hall and Oates would be performing at Red Rocks this summer, my two millennial sons were among the first to buy tickets. Say What??? I never saw that one coming, but apparently they have found an audience with the millenials.

Daryl Hall’s home concerts are on Youtube, and I highly recommend them. He’s a very good artist and has some great guests.

Hall and Oates are “looked down on”? Since when? Not in my house. I’ve always loved them. Blue-eyed soul up there with Van Morrison.

Based on their overwhelming representation in the stacks of used LPs at places like Half Price Books, I sense a lot of buyer remorse among the Seals & Crofts/Hall & Oates fan contingents.

Either that, or they’re croaking at a record pace from brain rot, and their descendants are cleaning out their garages and basements.

The name that comes to mind for me is David Pack. I first learned his name when I heard the song “The Key to You”, by David Benoit. I wanted to know who the vocalist was, and when I found out and looked up David Pack, I found out he was the lead singer of Ambrosia, which of course had some big hits in the 70’s. I don’t think he’s underrated by people in the industry at all, looking at all the things he’s done, there’s just not public name recognition commensurate with his talent, as far as I know.

Another one I think is really great is Larry Hoppen. He sang lead for a period of time for the group Orleans. If you remember “Still the One” and “Love takes Time”, that’s him.