84th Academy Awards 2012 - ongoing discussion thread

I am off to bed–I could not hate Billy Crystal any more if he were beating me over the head with recently-murdered kittens.

I did see some Red Carpet, and loved Viola Davis’, Melissa McCarthy’s and Clooney Trophy’s gowns. Rooney Mara either had hers on upside-down or grabbed the wrong dress off the rack. And wish Sasha Baron Cohen would take a page from Andy Kaufman’s book.

Will see tomorrow how *mon ami *Jean Dujardin did . . .

I really don’t mean to be negative, because I enjoy watching the Oscars, and can see Billy Crystal as funny. But, having him sing about the nominated movies is not funny at all to me. The little girl sitting next to Scorsese had a face that said “Am I supposed to be laughing at this? What’s going on? Is this funny? Necessary?” That’s pretty much how I feel.

Is Hanks limping?

Giving the seat-filler some glory!! Love it.

I knew an Oscar seat-filler once. Closest I’ve ever come to a brush with stardom.

Yay for Hugo, winning the first two awards!

The rundown I posted above is looking good.

That’s a good start for Hugo. I’d like to see that before it leaves theaters. It seems like more of a big screen movie than most.

Oh man, my favorite film of 2011 already has 2 awards. This is looking good!!!

I never understood the appeal of Ellen Degeneres. It looks like I’m gonna have to start muting commercials. The fact that half of the posts in this thread since the show has started have been for me is a sign that the ratings are gonna be way down this year and they’re gonna try a new way to spice thing up next year.

I think ratings are a product of the popularity of the movies nominated, rather than any spice they try to use.

Wow. Jennifer Lopez is one stiff wind away from a costume malfunction!

What is this supposed to be a montage of?

I think I can see J-Lo’s nipples.

Like the way the costume design nominees were presented.

Yup, me too.

How about Sheila E tearing it up on the drums going to the first commercial break?

Years when some actual good movies were made?

d/r

What the hell was that?

Wow, so the none of the above won makeup. It looked like Albert Nobbs uses a necromancer, not a makeup artist.

gah, that shot from the exorcist sent chills down my spine, and not in a good way.

The sound from the onstage microphone is all sorts of fucked up.

The Iron Lady makeup was outstanding. Crappy movie, great makeup.

Another loss for Harry Potter, though, which just reminds me how sad I am that Alan Rickman didn’t get a nod for the series.

That doesn’t explain the presence of a clip from Twilight.

I think it was supposed to be an assortment of great movie scenes, plus Twilight…presumably to appeal to the same demographic Justin Bieber’s cameo was supposed to impress.