84th Academy Awards 2012 - ongoing discussion thread

It’s lunchtime on Monday here, so I’m at work and following on Twitter (and here).

As far as my preferences go, I liked:
Midnight In Paris > The Descendants > The Artist > The Help > Moneyball > The Tree Of Life > Hugo (and haven’t seen War Horse or Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.)

Here’s my own votes:

[spoiler]WHAT I HOPE WINS:

Best Picture - Midnight In Paris
Actor In a Leading Role - George Clooney, The Descendants
Actress In a Leading Role - Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Actor In a Supporting Role - Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Actress In a Supporting Role - Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
Cinematography - Hugo
Art Direction - Midnight In Paris
Directing - Michael Hazanavicius, The Artist
Makeup - The Iron Lady
Music (Original Score) - The Artist
Music (Original Song) - “Man Or Muppet” from The Muppets
Visual Effects - Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - The Descendants
Writing (Original Screenplay) - Midnight In Paris

WHAT I THINK WILL WIN:

Best Picture - The Artist
Actor In a Leading Role - Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Actress In a Leading Role - Viola Davis, The Help
Actor In a Supporting Role - Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Actress In a Supporting Role - Octavia Spencer, The Help
Cinematography - Hugo
Art Direction - The Artist
Costume Design - The Artist
Directing - Michael Hazanavicius, The Artist
Foreign Language Film - Iran, A Separation
Makeup - The Iron Lady
Music (Original Score) - The Artist
Music (Original Song) - “Man Or Muppet” from The Muppets
Visual Effects - Hugo
Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - The Descendants
Writing (Original Screenplay) - Midnight In Paris[/spoiler]

I assume it was some sort of filler … It just made no sense.

Anyone else appreciate the irony of JLo’s Edith Head quote, while wearing that dress? Aiyiyi.

Which begs the question … if they’re always trying to shorten the telecast, why the hell would they need any filler?

Oh, too bad. Sandra Bullock with botox. Why, Sandra, why?? (Well, I can understand why, but man that’s too bad.)

The perils of posting while at work - I sat on my previous post for too long in preview before hitting submit. Some of those awards have actually been announced in the mean time.

Very glad The Iron Lady got a nod for makeup, I thought it was extraordinary work.

And can’t begrudge Hugo for Art Direction - I didn’t like the movie but it looked absolutely gorgeous (even though Midnight In Paris looked even gorgeous-er). Either way, Paris looked great on film this year!

So happy for A Separation, it’s so good. The only other Foreign Language film I saw though is Bullhead, which is amazing!

That rundown is spot on! Wonder how the guy found it.

Hmmm, an Oscar goes to a film from a country that we might be at war with in six month’s time.

Anyone else hear those twanging sounds in the background?

HP appears to be too popular to win much. Still, it’s not as if they need the plaudits.

Christian Bale looks so evil. :cool:

way to mumble, christian bale. jeez.

Good to hear! It doesn’t open here in Australia until next week, have been dying to see it.

I hate how we’re so behind in our release schedule here - most of the films being awarded didn’t open until 2012 here. My end of year lists always look so outdated!

Aw, Octavia Thingy’s sweet - she had to be lifted out of her seat. :slight_smile:

Octavia Spencer with an honest speech. I’ll bet she regretted that long train, though.

Her dress was so long she could hardly walk! Probably not the best choice if you’re a front runner for an award.

I’m just going to give a quick nod to the production design and music for the telecast this year. I quite like it. Too bad the bits between the awards so far have been so lame.

awwwww

So “The Iron Lady” isn’t an “Iron Man” spin-off?

But seriously folks, “A Separation” was the best movie I saw last year so I’m glad it won.

Ha, cool. my job is recruiting people for Focus Groups. I’ll bet they’ll be talking about that at work tomorrow.

Yay! The Christopher Guest Players!

Best supporting actress was the one I was most stuck on - Berenice Bujo, Octavia Spencer and Melissa McCarthy were all incredible performances. All worthy. Congratulations Octavia!