A brain teaser regarding a web site and/or Access error

I’d like to ask for any ideas regarding an error seen on a web site.

A friend of mine owns a small business in which his inventory is all on a web site. The site has forms for the general public to use, and forms for his employees to use.

Beginning a few days ago, they began getting the following error message when clicking on many parts of the web site:

**Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ‘80004005’
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Invalid argument.
/B2C_AdeptWebScripts/IIS_Gen_3.0_Recordset.js, line 392 **

He said the problem seemed to begin when my friend and another employee happened to be working with the same inventory part at the same time, and the other employee was clicking through stuff very quickly. Screens froze. After rebooting the server, the above error started occurring.

Any Dopers have any ideas on what the problem is and what the resolution might be?

My friend realizes he will need to hire someone to fix the problem, but he has no idea where to begin to find someone. How do you find a consultant who will look at his system, and probably spend less than a day on the problem?

I’m posting the problem here because the SDMB is the only board I’ve every spent any time on. Are there better boards to discuss this kind of problem?

If you’ve read this far, and want to see the error yourself, go to his web site:
CPU Car Parts
Click on the “Chevelle Index” logo
And then click on anything listed under “Chevelle Parts Index”
Thanks in advance for any insights or pearls of wisdom you might have.

My WAG is that they managed to put some inconsistent data in the database, which is confusing the webapp. Do they not have anyone on staff who understands how their website works?

Microsoft has this article in the knowledge base, with a possible fix.

Actually, they do not.
His web site and inventory program are in a software package that he bought in 2000. The company that created the software package no longer supports it. He had a consultant who occasionally tweeked his system, but he has moved overseas, and thus isn’t of much help anymore.

Go look at your SQL server process and make sure it is running and not producing errors in its logfiles. Line 392 is attempting to open a SQL recordset and failing for an unspecified reason. I’m really not well versed in these types of applications, but it sounds like the crash caused a problem with the database.

For what it’s worth, 80004005 is windows programmer speak for “uh, I have no idea what happened.” The codes usually have specific meanings, such as 8007000E: “out of memory”, but 80004005 is the universal cop-out. I apologize on behalf of programmers everywhere. :slight_smile:

In case it may help your friend solve it, this is the error message I get

"HTTP 500 - Internal server error "

You get that because you have “Show friendly HTTP error messages” turned on in Internet Explorer. If you turned that off or used a different browser, you’d see the error.

To the OP - does your friend have access to this B2C_AdeptWebScripts/IIS_Gen_3.0_Recordset.js file? What is on line 392?

Ah, nevermind. Apparently since this is an ASP app written in JavaScript (no idea that could be done…JScript yes, JavaScript ??) anyone can access their files

Line 392 is just trying to open a recordset:
this.RS.Open(SQL, this.RSConnection, this.CursorType, this.LockType);

I can’t see how the code would have magically stopped working for this - so my bet is just a corrupt DB.

Have them try the following:

1. Go into IIS and right-click on the site and choose “Properties” and then the “Home Directory” tab and then click the “Unload” button (if possible).
  2. Look in the web site’s directory and see if there is a .ldb file that matches the live database’s .mdb file. Like database.ldb for database.mdb. If there is a ldb file, see if you can delete it.
  3. If they have Access that is not Access 2007, download the mdb file, open it in Access then go to Tools - Database Utilities - Compact and Repair. Then upload it back to the server.

Then, contact me if your friend wants to look into re-building the Web site with a company that sticks around long enough to support it :wink: