A challenge

And maybe if we squeeze our eyes shut really really tight and wish with all our hearts to the great blue pixie, we can all have a pony!

Didn’t work. Back to politics.

It’s McCain/Obama/Biden/Palin’s fault that I didn’t get a pony.

This is difficult, since not all threads have such finely crafted titles like the OP’s that indicate the nature of the topic inside.

Decidedly not. Rather, it will involve the feeding of the sticky-fingered politicians who choose to ‘bail out’ the captains of investment banking to enormous grizzly bears. The captains of investment banking will be flung into brick walls via trebuchet.

Talking about politics has been part of human culture since human culture existed, and I’m pretty fond of it. The only countries in which it doesn’t go on are the really bad ones where the dictators don’t allow it – and even there, people risk their lives in order to state their opinions.

So, what the Hell are you on about, Clothahump? Piss up a rope, Dude.

I bet you like that elitist brie or some crap.

“Stop talking about how the wheels are coming off the Straight Talk Express and Obama’s gonna waltz into the White House! It makes me cry and soil myself!” Or something like that.

Damn. I thought cheese appreciation was the very least political thing possible. Clearly, I have to rethink that postion.

It’s not that simple - it’s more difficult than normal for other threads to thrive in these conditions.

Me actually! I audited a grad-level class on Gnosticism in the early church, and it was fascinating. I think it explains so much about Christianity’s repressive view of sexuality.

You might say the same with as much justice about your religious beliefs or your philosophical views or practically anything else the Great Debates forum is meant to cover. Should we shut down the whole forum?!

Imagine if someone started a “What if McCain and Obama were rival starship captains?” thread…

How about a massive bitchslap to people discussing politics in non-political threads then? I could get behind that!

(McCain would totally be Kirk.)

Obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I don’t care if it’s fair. I’ve personally never run across a non-political thread that contained a political hijack, and I’m not even convinced the one you provided falls under that category. But if Clothahump comes across one himself, he’s still free to ignore it! I don’t really give a shit if the subject matter annoys him. If it’s that bad for him, let him take a hiatus from the Straight Dope until after November 4th. Otherwise, he can piss off, because I’m free to talk about any damn thing I want, so long as it falls within the posting guidelines of the Straight Dope.

Then report the post to a moderator and ask for the title to be modified for clarity. I’m still not interested in being told I should refrain from political discussions because it upsets poor Clothahump.

We have 8 other forums for people who don’t want to debate Politics - 7, if you want to exclude the Pit, where a substantial number of political rants reside. If 7 other forums aren’t enough for him, then he needs to find another message board that forbids political discourse.

If I haven’t made it perfectly clear, I don’t give a rat’s ass if poor, put upon Clothahump is “tired of the sniping and bitching” and wants us to “shut the fuck up.” As far as I’m concerned, he can wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster.

Sounds good to me, but I would settle for Mods advising posters to stop and maybe they have started.

Clothahump, I just don’t get your challenge at all. This political race is charged, for good reasons. There is a lot of clash between both sides, and heating up as the election nears. That’s what the democratic principles of this country are supposed to encourage; everyone can participate, and say their piece. Yeah, sometimes it can get crazy and outrageous, but it’s better to be able to speak up and hash it out rather than shut up.

This may be odd, but I ask it in all sincerity. I know that you are involved with Martial Arts in some capacity, not sure which discipline. Regardless, I would think that you would be aware, then, of rules of conflict, and methods to defend with skillfull means.

And maybe that’s what bugs you; no skillfull means. If so , please elaborate on what might be a better way of discourse. If not, well, I’ll take a exhuberant, if exhausting, discourse, over Shut Up, any day.

Do you mean that to the degree that the Christian establishment made faulty concessions to the Gnostic view that matter is evil?

No, clearly that is Bush’s fault.

Now ***That’s ***funny.:smiley: