A failed attempt at subtlety

So, I just started dating a girl I met swing dancing, and I think things have been going very well. I have a great time with her, and she seems to as well. In addition to being a good dancer and a well-read, charming conversationalist, she is incredibly smokin’ hot. The kind of girl who, in the past, I would have considered out of my league. Right now, we happen to be in the same dance class Tuesday nights (although, both as follows, so I don’t get to dance with her), and we had made plans to hang out after class last night. Nothing specific, just some time together.

During the class, the instructor mentioned a new swing venue in town that was doing Tuesday night dances, so after class when we were heading toward the water fountain, I asked her if she wanted to go check it out.

“I can’t,” she said, “I’m not old enough.”

“So,” I said in a way that tried to be nonchalant, but failed, “how old are you?”

“Eighteen,” she said.

“Ok,” I said, resisting the urge to pump my fist in the air.

That’s a good thing?

It’s a lot better than 17.

Check with your instructor for the names of bars that have pre-21 nights for dancing. There are some here in the Twin Cities that do it, so you might be able to find something.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ethilrist. Luckily, we’re not facing a lack of places to go dancing. To my knowledge, this is the only local swing venue that has such restrictions.

May I ask how old you are?

Implying nothing, I hasten to add.

It’s a lot better than 32.

A 23 year old dating an 18 year old isn’t illegal or even necessarily taboo, it’s just a bit… curious.

You’re only 5 years older, but it’s a big 5 years. Not like the difference between 28 and 33. She has to be very mature for it to work.