A novice builds a computer

Gotta back up Enigma42 on the importance of getting a quality case. All of his suggestions are good. I personally have an In-win full tower case that I adore. It is so easy to work with…lots of space and a slide-out motherboard tray (I couldn’t believe how useful this was).

Another great feature of buying a good case is that on most models the edges have been deburred…you will still shed sweat and tears, but much less blood. I actually have some small scars on my fingers from cheap cases with sharp edges. Putting a new machine together is much less of a PITA when you don’t have band aids all over your hands.

Also gotta agree with sim0n on the ASUS mobo. All of the ones I’ve used were great. I’ve had good experience with ABIT boards as well.

I haven’t tried a RAID array, but I’ve heard good things so I think I’ll try one when I build my next machine.

It turns out that because I’m a UK student, I qualify for some sort of site license, so I can buy a license to install XP Pro for $55 and the media for $5. So I can get a full version for $60. Hot diggity damn. (Of course, I won’t be a student two months from now, but I don’t think that matters.)

Oh, and here’s what I ended up getting, hardware-wise:
–the aforementioned Epox 8HKA+ with an AMD XP 1800+ processor and a Volcano 7 cooling fan (assembled)

–256 MB of Crucial DDR RAM (I’d like to have 512, but RAM prices are high right now, so I can wait)

–a case from Evercase with a 300W power supply. It got raves from the reviewers on NewEgg’s site, both for ease of use and cooling ability. At $44, I decided to give it a shot; if the power supply is inadequate or I don’t like the case, it was still only $44.

–a Sony 52x CD-ROM drive.

I am using my current Radeon video card (Geforce 2, 64MB), as well as my current monitor, keyboard, mouse, modem, and CD-R drive. I plan to replace everything within the next six months or so, so that I eventually have this computer back in its entirety. (My fiancee wants it.)

FedEx tried to deliver the first shipment (everything but the mobo combo) today. The rest should arrive Thursday. It could be a long weekend.

Dr. J

I’m going to second [on preview I see it’s actually a third now, but I’ll post this anyways just because] what Enigma said on the case issue. If you ask me, it ranks about even with the video card in terms of importance (Pretty High).

I haven’t built a system myself, only because I can find oodles of stuff to do to a system once it’s already built. That in itself gives me enough to handle that building one (When I bought the last one) seemed a bit daunting- I’d probably still be working on it, if I was left to my own devices.

In my situation, with the case, I pretty much lucked out by choosing a good custom builder- Alienware. Their case is essentially a server case. Actually, after checking it out on the ‘net, it is a server case, albeit one for SOHO applications. Check it out here.

At any rate, in terms of my case, I’m accessing the thing and fiddling around with enough that ease of access has become a big issue. I’m in there three or four times a month, at least. Where I lucked out was in the design and quality of the case. It’s incredibly easy to access, and the parts themselves are well constructed. When I fiddle with a system different from my own, I’m amazed at how hard they are to work around with, and how cheaply they’re designed. It really is a pain to try and work with a crappy case that isn’t designed worth a nickle.

And since you’re building this yourself, you’ll probably be playing around in there as much, if not more, than I am with mine.

Do yourself a favor, and instead of getting lucky like I did, actually know what you’re getting in terms of a case. Play with it- if you can- and see how easily it is to access, to work with, and how user oriented the thing is. Believe me, you’ll curse yourself for skimping out on a case.

Oh, and OS? Definitely go with XP pro. From what I’ve read on people who’ve purchased the home edition, the thing won’t let you do anything, and I mean anything, on your own.

Whatever more that costs, do it.

Well hell, I really got to this thing late.

You already purchased your case, and you went with XP pro.

Remind me to check the end of the thread (And not just assume by the bar that there isn’t much left to it) before I start typing out a response to a post.

If I had, I wouldn’t look like such a doofus right now.

Ah, that should be, I wouldn’t look like the doofus I do… um, no, that’s not right. I wouldn’t look like a doofus the way that I…

Fuck it!

Even though most of it has been said, I would suggest ensuring that you buy a fast (7200rpm) hard drive. I found that I had greater success in buring CDs at a high speed when my HDD could keep up. I have a Western Digital 80gb drive and have had no problems.

• Yes, upgrade CD’s upgrade an existing OS. The older OS has to be there first.
 - Speaking pf proprietary computers,,, -don't. Here's a favorite story of mine: in '99, I bought an Acer Aspire that came with an "Acer" Win98 CD (with Acer printed on it, not a regular retail MS CD). The PC had gotten good reviews. It worked fine at first, but over time as I attempted to upgrade it, I found a number of annoying things:
 - The mobo is Acer-proprietary, and doesn't work right with lots of more-current devices, and Acer stopped supporting/updating it completely just a year after I bought it. Acer-America even took the device drivers offline. Acer-Europe still has them, on a German-language page.
 - The mobo requires the original 6-gig HD be attached to install any OS. I found that I could install another bigger HD as master and the 6-gig as slave, but it's got to be present, or nothing happens. So, as long as the computer works, the original 6-gig must follow, but must be *disconnected* to preserve its lifespan (because you can't find the original make/model HD for sale anywhere now...). Once you install the OS onto the other HD, you can safely disconnect the 6-gig without any problems.
 - The "Acer/Windows98" CD has no normal setup program that I have ever been able to find, and I have gone completely through it- experimenting by attempting to run *all* the executables, ini's and scripts, compressed or not.
 - The BIOS lacks almost  all of the typical functionality that you need to troubleshoot hardware problems.
 - Other Windows98 install CD's (even legitimate retail versions, -I have one) will not load an OS onto this PC at all.
 - This PC's CD will not load Win98 onto other PC's at all.
 - The case will not fit a regular ATX mobo, so to salvage a PII-350 from this, I'll need to buy another case, in addition to the mobo.
This is why you shouldn't buy any PC if it doesn't use all standards-compliant/retail quality parts, and lots of the big-name PC companies don't: often with motherboards, and "well who cares?" but the motherboard was the root cause of all my problems here. Wherever you buy from, insist on 100% name-brand/standards-compliant/upgradable parts. Nothing proprietary, and nothing generic. - DougC

The parts are all here. I got a 60GB, 7200RPM Maxtor HD from CompUSA for $100. I also made purchase of Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro through my school’s student licensing; the total for the two was $120. I also got a Logitech cordless optical mouse, because I was in Wal-Mart and feeling saucy.

I got the memory on the mobo and the mobo in the case, where it fit like a charm. Following the advice of Ars Technica, I then hooked up the power supply, put in the video card, and connected it to my monitor to see if it was getting that far. I hit the power button–nothing. Nothing on the monitor, no fans going, nothing. I jiggled and switched and analyzed for an hour or so, and got nothing. Finally I gave up, put the video card back in the old computer, and plugged it back in–where I had the same problem. After considerable jiggling, it seems the problem was where the cord met the outlet. At this point I was no longer in the mood.

Tomorrow I’m switching to a more agreeable work surface (kitchen table) and giving it another go.

Dr. J

So I finally got the new machine (affectionately dubbed Tha Night Rida) together yesterday afternoon, and it ran like a dream. That is, it ran like a dream until late last night, when it quit. No warnings of any kind–it just, as they say back home, up and quit.

The computer would not re-start at all. Opening the case, I noted that pushing the power button did give me a momentary bit of life (fan going, LEDs on the mobo lit), but for less than a second. It will not do this again unless I disconnect and re-connect the power cable, and then it will do the same thing.

Motherboard Monitor had been reading my CPU temperature at around 110 degrees F, apparently not that hot for an Athlon. I wasn’t doing anything particularly cumbersome when it happened–I was composing an e-mail, actually.

I have played with all the jumpers and checked all the connections, but nothing has been successful. The only thing I have not done is check and re-seat the CPU.

Can anyone help me diagnose this? Is it time to thank eternal providence for warranties?

Dr. J

I’d go with thanking eternal providence for warranties.

I’ve had the same thing happen to me. In the course of testing, I wound up unplugging EVERYTHING but the power supply, which still wasn’t turning on. I replaced the 300W with a 400W and haven’t had any trouble since.

If you still have your old power supply, I’d suggest trying to use it with the bare minimum gear hooked up to it (HD,FD, mobo, fans) and see if the computer boots.

If you still have your old power supply, I’d suggest trying to use it with the bare minimum gear hooked up to it (HD,FD, mobo, fans) and see if the computer boots. If it doesn’t, see if you can get your supplier to replace it with a bigger one.

HTH

My suggestion for you is to return your case. Look for a better case with a bigger power supply.

I bought a new (larger) power supply yesterday and put it in. It didn’t help.

How would it act if the processor came unseated from the motherboard? That’s one thing I haven’t checked yet.

Dr. J

PS: My case has a side fan. Would it make more sense for that fan to be blowing in (toward the CPU) or out (pulling the heat away from the CPU)? There’s a fan on the CPU itself, of course. There are also places on the case for a fan in the front and another in the back, which I’m going to add when I get it going again.

Dr. J,

I suspect it’s the wiring of the case you’re using. Because if it’s just the power supply, it should at least activate the fan. I suggested a bigger power supply because you might have a use for the juice, say, powering all those extra fans you want to attach :wink:

As for the side fan, have it blow out.

Possibly a mobo issue - have you triple-checked the power to the mobo connectors?

Many power supplies will not function unless there is enough load placed on them. If your mobo failed for any reason, when you start up the PS may shut-off immeditarly is it senses a lack of electrical load…

And, just to be picky: “I am using my current Radeon video card (Geforce 2, 64MB), as well as my current monitor”

ATI makes the Radeon, nVidia makes the GeForce. You have either one or the other :slight_smile: