A Pit thread for Asahi

If it shows up on the first page of google it can’t be outdated dammit!

Yes, that’s a fair criticism. There are several studies all showing a similar result, but most are limited in one way or another. I’ve found one that looks promising, but I want to read it first and it’s much too late now.

This, however…

It says right in your own quote that faculty members were randomly chosen from each institution in numbers proportionate to its size.

I had understood that the ‘liberal’ in ‘liberal arts’ referred to the type of education, not to political affiliation. As for the classifications, I don’t have time to look into it now, but you may well not be comparing like with like. The main criticism of this study appears to be that it does not include community colleges.

Maybe they used to, Wikipedia notes that “liberal arts” was deprecated as a classification at some point in the 2005 edition.

~Max

Liberal arts connotes liberal politics, because you know, hippies?

(that’s a joke)

~Max

Continuing with my education of all things British via The Crown, I have suggestions for how things should have been handled!

Given the guy was effectively the Pope of England, he should have simply announced ex Cathedra that divorce was now legal, freeing him to marry that American. Wonder why he didn’t think of that…

Geez, whose pit thread is this?

As I understand it, me, American, not British, he did not wish to be king, so he scarpered. HIs brother was similarly inclined, but sucked it up and here we are. British people may now correct me.

No, they may not correct us. Not without massive Google pushback, they won’t! And even then, we won’t concede!

Looking forward to watching Gary Oldham play Winnie in that movie so I can learn all about the Battle of the Somme or whatever it’s about.

Ah, yes, the War of the Roses. I understand it had something to do with whether or not a woman might properly succeed her father as regent. The Whites said no, the Reds said yes, and in the end they spent so much time arguing with each other that they fell in love, got engaged, and the question became moot upon their marriage. Which is how we get the Tutor rose (from all the 'splaining, don’t you know), consisting of red and white together. This in addition to being the origin of several romantic tropes.

Yes! I saw the movie, had no idea the couple was supposed to be British! You’d think they would cast someone other than Michael Douglas, but then, he was riding high back then.

Wow, English history sure is complicated. I didn’t even understand that he and Kathleen Turner were royalty.

I believe the Blackadder series will teach you all you need about the English.

You could also study Faulty Towers.

All I needed to learn about the English is Dr. Who.

Yes, watch Blackadder, but skip the first series or watch it last, because it’s quite unlike the rest.

The bit where he pisses on the fish is a metaphor for Warwick’s rebellion.

I was gonna say the same thing! Looks like someone needs their very own pit thread.

“Someone” has one already. It’s verra nice.

Really. You guys don’t have enough wet noodles to lash @asahi any more?

You reach a certain point where it crosses the line into gratuitous abuse of the feeble minded.

And that one had octopus flopping all over it. Hey trolls, stay in your own threads, will ya?

If trolls behaved they wouldn’t be trolls. :frowning: