A question about your hair

Picture it: [del]Sicily. 1920.[/del]

You are going to get yourself cleaned up and go somewhere. You step out of the shower, your hair is dripping wet. At this point, what do you do to it in order to get it looking presentable (or at least, like it always looks)?

Rub a towel over it to dry, and it’s done.

Comb it out to get rid of the tangles. Apply gel, scrunch it up. Put the sides in hairclips if I so desire. Leave.

That.

A couple of months ago, my answer would have been to dry off my cue ball.

Towel dry it, then before I head out the door run a touch of gel through it. Fix with fingers.

Comb it, put a band around it, leave for work.

Towel dry, add some product, shake it out, and go.

Towel dry it and stick it in a braid. I have hair almost down to my butt. Blow dryers fry the tips, so I avoid them and stick with towel and air drying. A braid is great because it won’t end up dripping everywhere when I go out. If I’m feeling fancy, I might twist the braid into a low bun.

Towel dry
Sit and let air dry for awhile
Blow dry straight (let air dry first a bit so I’m not blowdrying for 25 minutes)
Straighten:
4-5 layers, one at a time
using heat protectant spray while straightening and finishing cream after each layer, and a bit of anti-frizz serum at the end

My hair is thick, dry, and crazy wavy in its natural state. I should never leave the house w/o doing all of the above or I’d look like a homeless person in a bad way. The products add moisture and weigh it down so it stays straight and feels soft and looks shiny.

Spritz it with spray gel, let it sit for a bit, then blow-dry. Then I use a fat curling iron to add some fullness and shape to my baby-fine, stick-straight hair.

I’m another comb n’ go. Until just recently, I was blow-drying the roots of the bang section for about ten seconds before the combing, but it doesn’t seem to need that anymore.

Thank goodness for your complicated hair, myskepticsight. This thread was going to be dull!

Blow Dry with straightening product.
Straighten.
Shine serum.
Done.

1. Put on motorcycle helmet.

Saturday morning, MrQ says to me, “What the hell happened to your hair?” So for me, the answer to your question is, “Not enough.”

The usual routine is to brush, air dry, then put into ponytail. Given the July humidity around here, the air dry phase is taking way too long and resulting in way too much frizzy exuberance. Fortunately, I work at home most days, so the cat is the only witness to the horror of my 'do around 10:00am.

Saturday morning, MrQ says to me, “What the hell happened to your hair?” So for me, the answer to your question is, “Not enough.”

The usual routine is to brush, air dry, then put into ponytail. Given the July humidity around here, the air dry phase is taking way too long and resulting in way too much frizzy exuberance. Fortunately, I work at home most days, so the cat is the only witness to the horror of my 'do around 10:00am.

Towel dry.
Let air dry.
Grab brush.
Look into mirror.
Realise futility of brushing.
Lower brush.
Make funny faces in the mirror.
Go out.

Towel dry, then add liberal amounts of either foam mousse or straightening lotion, depending on weather and how much patience I have.

Blow dry with a large round brush attachment.

Possibly spritz with either hair spray or leave-in conditioner, depending on the remaining frizz factor.

Depending on the last time it got trimmed, it’s somewhere between an eighth and a quarter inch long. Quick towel over my head and I’m ready to go.

Shampoo is wasted on me - I just use my the same body-wash detergent I use everywhere else.

My lovely wife, however, has piles of brown curls. She just washes & conditions (very important, the conditioner, she assures me) and runs a brush over it. 30 minutes later it’s ready to go. I’ve always been amazed at how fast her hair seems to dry ('though we are an arid state). Sometimes she gels it after to keep the frizzies down - looks better on those days, I think.

Towel dry
brush straight back

I wrap a towel around my head before I step out of the shower. Next steps:[ul][li]Lightly rub hair with towel, take towel off[/li][li]Comb hair[/li][li]Apply leave-in conditioner to the ends[/li][li]Flip upside down and blow dry randomly[/li][li]Comb again[/li][li]Finish getting dressed[/li][li]Brush[/li]Leave house[/ul]