A Shadow Has Fallen On Middle Springfield-Who should be who in The Simpsons do LotR?

This would make an excellent Treehouse of Horror episode.
Someone should mail this thread to Matt Groening.

I like Marge for Gandalf. Both are patient, benevolent leaders who let people do their own thing until they push too far. Then they kick some ass. Both are likable, moral, and strong but still human and sometimes flawed.

And they both have weird hair.

Has no one yet cast the One Ring? It is torus-shaped, and gives great power, though at the price of corrupting the bearer’s soul. Hmm. I’d say the Forbidden Donut that Homer barters his soul for is perfect.

“One Donut to rule them all, one Donut to find them.
One Donut to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.”

Mmmm…forbidden ring…

Justin

The more I think about it, the more I think Principal Skinner should be Elrond. Why? Because when I picture Skinner in my head, I see him addressing an assembly at the school (and being undermined by Bart or Nelson or someone). Sort of like the way Elrond presided over the council, and I can imagine Bart-as-Frodo asking him a series of inane questions designed to get him irritated.

Also, Skinner has his 'Nam flashbacks, and Elrond has his War of the Ring flashbacks. Elrond urged whatisname to do the responsible thing and cast the Ring into the Cracks of Doom, and I can easily imagine Skinner doing the same.

“You cast that ring into the Crack of Doom right now, mister!”

Plus, Skinner and Elrond both have that bitterness about them. I say go for it. And incongruous though it may be, somehow Krusty as Gandalf does seem to fit…

And there’s a good chance that Tom Bombadil would make it in, exactly because he wasn’t in the movie. It’s par for the course for The Simpsons to poke fun at Hollywood.

Since the issue of continuing Simpsons relationships has been brought up I will take this opportunity to fight for the Homer=Frodo, Barney=Sam, Lenny and Carl = merry and Pippin idea i mentioned earier. Homer is the main character and so is Frodo. Homer is childlike and simple and so is Frodo at the beginning. Most of the story involves Frodo evolving into a strong hero type, from a fun loving no care hobbit. Thus Homer is perfect to start as Frodo and follow the journey. Barney is fat, has no real commitments, is very loyal, and is much better that expected at a lot of things, and so is Sam. Merry and Pippon are always used as a pair, and so are Lenny and Carl. They are all kind of one dimensional, and not explored in great detail. They are all likely to be found in random situations but are total followers.

The size thing is a problem but just animate down. All of the children as hobbits scenarios seem forced as contrived based simply on size.

Hehe I’m taking this way to serously.

Along with the idea of the One Donut, and the necessity to put Homer into a relatively major role, how about Homer for Boromir?
(could even use Herb as Faramir). He wants the donut and tries to take it from Frodo “Why you little!” [choking]. Of course this only works well if Frodo is Bart, and I prefer the Lisa, Ralph, Bart and Milhous foursome put forth by others.

This also gives granpa a role as King… uh… don’t remember my LotR well enough and too lazy to look it up… Denethor (?).

Great idea.

They could even be really cool and do a 3 episode arc (after the 3rd movie is out, of course).

Denethor’s his name – but he’s a steward, not a king. Which is his whole problem, really.

How about Moe as Saruman, and Homer as Grima/Wormtongue?

Comic Store Guy would make a good Herb Master in the Houses of Healing. “Athelas? I make it my business to carry only worthwhile herbs in my stores. I have no use for weeds, even if you attempt to dress up their names with arcane terminology.”

Mayor Quimby is Dethenor. Gotta be.
And Homer has to be either Aragorn or Gandalf. As Wolverine pointed out, he’s the star. As funny as Comic Book Guy is, he’s a minor figure on Simpsons, and it just would not make sense to give him a larger part than Homer or Marge.

So if we agree that Frodo has to be either Lisa or maybe Bart (Homer has NO personality traits in common with Frodo), that leaves Homer as Aragorn or Gandalf. He’s too dumb to be Gandalf, and besides, what do you do with Marge? Make Homer Aragorn, let him stumble into the kingship and all the right choices(ala Inspector Clouseau), and you can then make Marge into Arwen. It fits!

Which leaves Gandalf. Nobody really fits, but I’ve got to go with the first suggestions and support Grandpa Simpson.

And whither Maggie?

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by finnofranco *
What about Hans Moleman as Gollum?

[QUOTE]

That was my first thought.

After having reviewed most of the posts to this thread, I have culled through the casting nominations for our burgeoning epic, taking into account the arguments presented here and my own interpretations of the characters (book and TV show).

Also, in traditional Hollywood fashion, I have decided to steal someone else’s idea and rush it into the theaters before the lawsuits can be filed. My company will work out some kind of deal with the OP’er for some sort of partnership (my people will call your people); the other contributors to this thread will get Associate Producer credits.

So let’s dim the lights, pull back the curtain, and…

(drumroll…fanfare…searchlights…credits…)

malchats presents

a crescent and crossbones production

of

a Weirld_Al_Einstein film

THE LORD OF THE RINGERS

Starring:

Lisa Simpson as Frodo
Bart Simpson as Samwise
Milhous Van Houten as Merry
Ralph Wiggum as Pippin
Homer Simpson as Aragorn
Marge Simpson as Arwen
Abraham “Grampa” Simpson as Gandalf
C. Montgomery Burns as Sauron
Sideshow Bob as Saruman

Also Starring:

Troy McClure as Boromir
Rev. Tim Lovejoy as Elrond
Groundskeeper Willie as Legolas
Sideshow Mel as Gimli
Herschel Krustovski as Gloin
Seymour Skinner as Celeborn
Edna Krabappel as Galadriel
Ranier Wolfcastle as Treebeard
Barney Gumble as Bilbo
Chief Clancy Wiggum as The Chief Nazgûl

special appearance by Waylon Smithers as the “Mouth of Sauron”

and introducing Hans Moleman as “Gollum”

with:

Moe Syzlak as Barliman Butterbur
“Diamond” Joe Quimby as Denethor
Lenny as Faramir
Karl as Beregond
Jasper as Theoden
Cletus as Éomer
Brandine as Éowyn
Apu as Haldir
Bumblebee Man as Glorfindel
Lionel Hutz as Grima Wormtongue
Ned Flanders as Tom Bombadil
Maude Flanders as Goldberry
Rod Flanders as Elrohir
Todd Flanders as Elladan
Snake as Grishnàkh
Fat Tony as Uglúk
Nelson as Shagrat
Kearny as Gorbag
Herman as Bill Ferny
Agnes Skinner as Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
Jimbo Jones as Ted Sandyman
The Springfield Police as the Nazgûl
Kang as The Balrog
The Comic Book Guy as the Master of the Houses of Healing
Disco Stu as Ghân-buri-Ghân
Captain Macallister as A Corsair of Umbar

PART ONE OF THE SAGA:
THE FELLOWSHIP OF SPRINGFIELD

Coming Soon To A Theater Near You…

Eowyn could be Lady Agnes Skinner. Think about it…a bitter woman, strong willed…turns soft when metting her true love, Faramir. Faramir, of course, will turn out to be Comic Store Guy.

Or Grandpa could be Faramir, and Ms. Bouvier be Eowyn…

And Legolas as One Armed Army guy…or Otto…

All these choices are cool! Especially the hobbits so far. Yeah, and what about Maggie? And no, not baby Elenor! It has to be funny.
Grandpa should be Gaffer Gamgee.
Moe should be Barliman!
Jasper could be Treebeard.
Dr. Nick Rivera also needs to be cast, someone who gets greeted. “Hi, everybody!” “Hi, Blank-Blank!” And don’t forget Bart’s horse as Shadowfax and his elephant as an oliphant (darn it what were their names?!?! Think!)

Maggie is a good shooter…hmmm…perhaps a warrior!

Oh, Joy! I’m glad this thread got ressurected, I was just think about it the other day. One of the funniest lines I’ve ever read on the SDMB:

I think Bart should be Frodo and Milhouse should be Sam. Lisa just doesn’t do it for me as Frodo.

Shelob, of course. The giant spider at the end of The Two Towers if you’re reading the book, or the start of Return of the King if you’re watching the movie.

“Cutting down Fangorn Forest? That’s a paddlin’. Destroying the environment around Isengard? That’s a paddlin’. Betraying the Ents? You better believe that’s a paddlin’.”

(Bart’s elephant was Stampy. I don’t remember the horse’s name.)

but…but…I want Stampy as Bill the Pony!

And what about Dr. Hibbert? Treebeard, perhaps? He’s got the voice and the laugh for it.