Abort or Keep? Let the intertubes decide!

Careful, Dio. That’s maximalist talk. Apparently.

I’m actually tempted to pay for a membership, just so I can change my screen name to “Maximalist” and my title to “Whimsical”.

cite?

Er…what? I believe all those things, sure. What does that have to do with basing the decision on “a group of strangers”?

To be clear, I don’t think it’s immoral of a woman to decide to get an abortion because a random group of people on the internet tell her to, I just think it’s stupid.

I think you misunderstood my point.

There are people on this board who have said repeatedly that the foetus has no value - it is only a bunch of cells.

People who view the foetus in that way - entirely inconsequential - would have no huge problem with putting an abortion to a public vote (provided obviously that they are ambivilent themselves).

Are you really that pork stupid? It shouldn’t BE up to a public vote – it should be up to the woman who is pregnant. PERIOD. (You can’t tell me you actually believed this kind of stunt was real?)

That’s ridiculous. Putting the fate of a bunch of cells up to a majority vote is exactly opposite of what the pro-choice movement is about. I’m sure the folks in Oklahoma and Nebraska, among others, would love to vote away an individual’s right to decide.

A pro-choice person would have no problem with such a poll if it was advisory, or even a joke, but certainly not with making the outcome binding.

This is a non-sequitur. One does not follow from the other.

What if the woman who is pregnant wants it to be decided by a public vote?

What if it’s an anchor baby???

What if she’s a virgin???

What if she was raped by a werewolf or seduced by a sparkly vampire???

Well, I would vote for her to abort because she’s an idiot and we have a substantial idiot surplus.

I’ve read a story on this somewhere (I forget where, so no link, sorry) in which the people involved (or at least the woman) claims that the poll is serious and that they/she is not pro-life.

Fake.

And “Zeeboid” trolled the Daily Kos wiki to change their definition of pro-choice:

I would vote for her to keep it because she’s obviously a slut that deserves to be punished. If she didn’t want to be pregnant she should have kept her legs shut like a proper woman.

Weird, I was just going to say that I read a story that claimed the poll is a stunt and that the woman is pro-life.

This is essentially P.Z. Myers’s take on it, and mine too. Or would be, if we were to take the poll’s existence at face value. Which we shouldn’t.

I second the “non-sequitur” objection. She’s free to make her choice in any way and with any outcome she chooses, and I don’t see why she has to have a reason other people find acceptable. If it truly is her right, I figure by definition her reasons are nobody’s business.
Anyway, let’s indulge the hypothetical and assume she really is claiming to put the issue to a public vote. Is she obliged to adhere to the result of that vote? Can she still decide to ignore the result and make her own decision? I’m going to need some additional detail if she can’t. And it doesn’t matter anyway, because I figure she’s free to choose to terminate her pregnancy if a thousand strangers tell her so, or if she got pregnant on an unlucky (in her view) Wednesday, or if her due date is in a month with an “R” in it, or for any reason, or for no reason. I don’t demand an author justify why he chose to exercise his freedom of expression when writing a book (nor would I ever wish to imply that his reasons must be good ones, by my standards) so why should I care why a woman chooses to terminate her pregnancy?

Your implication that I should be upset by a public-vote abortion is stupid and I dismiss it.

Again, stupid, but not immoral. Kind of like if a person decided to have a boob job based on a public vote.

Thanks for that link! It had another leading to the “genuine” poll on whether to abort. So I was able to cast my ballot for an abortion.

Too bad they don’t allow you to state a reason.

I’m surprised that only 80% voted to carry to term. I think they’re trying to show that overwhelming majorities oppose abortion. But abortion rights supporters generally aren’t in the business of urging women to get abortions, so of course the results are going to be lopsided.

“Should I get an abortion” and “Should abortion remain legal” are two very different questions.