About The Strange Mob Nicknames

I was laughing a bit when I read of the recent raids in NYC, where the police and FBI picked up dozens of mob figures. Those names : like " Bobby the Jew", “Greasball”, Nick the Pig". My question: when did these monikers become popular in the Mob? Are they are mark of being accepted? And, would you like to be known as “Greaseball”? :smiley:

I see the same thing at work every day. No, I don’t work with the mob, but I’m surrounded by Navy and Air Force pilots, and they all have callsigns. As far as I can discern, the monikers are pretty juvenile. The guy with curly hair is called Brillo. The one named Vail is called Ski. And Lt. Blanks is called (I can’t believe this one) Shootin’. :rolleyes: I’ve got a friend who retired at least 10 years ago, and he still introduces himself by his callsign, and his wife calls him that, too.

I don’t get it. And I don’t call them by their stoopit names.

Anyway, it’s not limited to mobsters.

Slate: Where do mob nicknames come from?

Of course, we would never address someone by an odd nickname like, say, “FairyChatMom”. Or “Balance”. Or “Cajun Man”. Or…

:wink:

Hey, they aren’t limited to The Mob. Where I grew up in the Bronx, we had regular guys in the neighborhood known as Tommy Bullshit, Jack the Whack, Fat Louie, and so on. Then there was Louie Lump-Lump, but he actually was a mob guy.