Acclaimed Bands You Can't Force Yourself To Like

Inspired by the Acclaimed Books thread, I was curious as to what ‘legendary’ or ‘critically acclaimed’ bands people cannot force themselves to enjoy.

I’m apologize profusely in advance, but I cannot force myself to like Kraftwerk . I’m a synth music/electronica fan, but for some reason I just cannot push myself into actually enjoying Kraftwerk’s music. They are pretty funny looking, though.

Anyone else?

Smashing Pumpkins. I’ve dealt with them here in Chicago and they’ve always been the darling child of the Chicago music scene, I’ve seen them 2-3 times and I just can’t get into it. I mean, yeah Billy is a decent songwriter but the music doesn’t move me, y’know? Certainly not enough to shell out any money for them and at times they make me turn the radio station.

DING DING DING DING DING DING!!

Wow, as soon as I saw the thread title, I thought, “Pumpkins.”

Pink Floyd.

Phish.

Pink Floyd

Yes, I know they are one of the most acclaimed “arena/art rock” bands in the Rock era. I know their concerts sell out and are practically “spiritual” events to their attendees. I know that the album “Dark Side Of The Moon” holds the record for consecutive number of weeks on the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts (over 10 YEARS).

But I simply cannot get into the music. It doesn’t “speak to me.”

And “Pinkheads” look at me very strange when I say that.

Nah, I’m not a Pink Floyd fan either. They’re just too pretentious, I think.

Boy oh boy, where do I start?
I’ve never liked the Beatles though I have always maintained that it’s not my fault because I was raised to hate them. Rock and roll died with Buddy Holly’s death and the introduction of the Beatles, don’t you know (or at least that’s what my father beat into my head for 20 years or so).
I don’t like U2 or REM and I will never, ever get over the fact that the ancient dinosaur producers of crappy adult contemporary music that are Steely Dan beat out Eminem for best album at the Grammys a couple of years back.
Oh shit, did I just say all that out loud? Preparing to die now.

Never been called a “Pinkhead” before. :confused:

Amen to the Floyd. I can’t enjoy it. I can like one song, heard every now and then, but if I hear more than one Pink Floyd song in a row, I space out and am useless for at least a couple hours. It doesn’t speak to me, either, and it usually makes me twitchy and irritable.

Also, not a fan of the Dead. I appreciate the culture, I admire the musicianship, I’m just not a fan of the songs.

The list of “new, hot” artists I can’t stand could go on and on. I was at a big party a few weeks ago, and I didn’t recognize a single thing the DJ played. I don’t know if that means I’m old or not, but I’m still rather proud of the fact that I can’t pick Jessica Simpson or Christina Aguilera out of a lineup. :slight_smile:

Let’s see … ohhh, Linkin Park. Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, and all sorts of other bands that are part of the reason our nation’s children can’t spell.

First band I thought of was Radiohead.

I just never cottoned on to them. I like some of their tunes, truth be told, and I even own “The Bends.” But their later stuff is just interminable to me. Whiny Brit rock with little ambition to be anything but “different.” “Different” does not necessarily translate to “good,” as it turns out.

And honestly, I feel a little weird even saying this. I know everybody from music critics to musicians and even casual music fans love them. I just can’t stand their newer work, and I don’t know why.

And I even like Thom Yorke as a person. Every interview I see with them, he seems like the nicest guy.

Contrast that with Oasis. I like their music just fine, but I’d sooner put either of the Gallaghers’ throat under my boot than talk to them.

I’m with The Beatles. I recognize what they did for music. I just don’t like their music.

Beatles: no thank you. Grates on my ears. I acknowledge their importance to rock & roll, but please don’t make listen to an instant of their cacaphenous caterwalling.

Amen to the Beatles, and while we’re at it, how about Oasis?

As a former 80’s metalhead, there were some bands I just couldn’t get into that everone else was completely nutty over. Like Black Sabbath.

Throw in Bob Dylan and there’s my answer.

For someone who spent years 6-11 of their life in the UK, in the mid-90’s no less, I cannot like most Britpop bands either.

For me it’s U2. They’re not bad, I just can’t get into them at all. Their music doesn’t do anything for me.

U2
REM
Bob Dylan
Dire Straits/Mark Knoppler (sp?)
Greatful Dead
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Nine Inch Nails
The Beatles
AC/DC

Lots of people seem to like these bands and some are considered legendary. Some of them I respect for their contributions and others just plain suck. In any case, I just can’t get into listening to any of these.

I’m a fiend for British classic rock – at least the stuff based loosely on the blues. But play Pink Floyd or David Bowie and you’ve lost me. Strangely, I love Phish and most of The Grateful Dead, but the noodling turns me off.

The Grateful Dead are definitely on my list as well – I can appreciate that they’re talented musicians, but I just don’t like their music.

For much the same reason, the White Stripes and Carlos Santana (in any of his incarnations) have never really floated my boat. Talented, yes, but nothing I’ll go out of my way to listen to there…

**U2. I hate Bono’s voice, and The Edge’s guitar playing, at least on their early radio stuff, was boring and repetitious. dinka-dinka-dinka-dinka-dinka-dinka-dinka-dinka…

The Rolling Stones. Enough already.

Pink Floyd. For some reason, I always found myself getting very depressed every time I tried to listen to their stuff. The exception is Money.