Active Shooter incident in Lewiston, Maine 10/25/2023 (found dead, presumed suicide)

Reports coming out that an active shooter situation is ongoing in Lewiston, ME. This is the 2nd most populous city in Maine.

Link to NBC news

Apparently there has been a shooting at a bowling alley and restaurant. People are being told to shelter in place. Police aren’t sure if there is more than one shooter.

From what I’m seeing on the news, there have been shootings in multiple locations in different cities. They released a picture of a guy with a rifle who is a suspect, still at large. It wasn’t clear if it was one person or more than one.

I’m seeing a report of 10 dead in one location.

Yep, the Central Maine Medical Center is saying they are reacting to a “mass casualty event”.

Looks like some type of semi-auto rifle in the pictures.

Here’s the picture that they are circulating.

Well goddamn it. I’m very familiar with Lewiston. I worked in the warehouse for LL Bean for a few years up there before I moved west almost two years ago. I’m a bit rattled. Lewiston is such a small city, it’s a town, it’s a strip of fast food restaurants and suburbia. I don’t mind saying that I’m freaked out. I suppose I’ve been lucky to not have seen this sort of thing happen anywhere close to home before but I really don’t like what I’m going through right now.

There’s a possibility I could know someone impacted by this, or at least that I know someone who knows someone - Lewiston is like that. There really isn’t much to go on with that photo - that guy looks like every other third guy in Maine. I hope this is all wrapped up soon and fuck, fuck, fuck, I’m sick of seeing these goddamned stories.

NBC News just confirmed 22 dead in three locations with 55 - 60 injured.

It is very bad. Reports are 3 locations. There should be a presser soon.

Word.

They have mentioned a distribution centre, bowling alley, and lounge. This info is from the mayor from the town across the river.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure my early report about multiple cities was wrong. And I doubt it’s more than one person. But the guy who did this hit multiple locations in town.

All it takes is one guy with a long gun for dozens of casualties.

It was confusing. The multiple city thing was the first thing I feared when they put up the map of Maine. They were showing where Augusta and Portland were for reference, so it looked like the shootings were in those cities.

Turns out my brother-in-law’s brother, who works in the same warehouse as I used to, is currently in lockdown. Nice.

I’m not sure how much I should float here, but I have it on good authority that they know who the shooter is, they’re at his house now, but he is still on the loose heading south (Maine law enforcement in the extended family).

Quite so.

People just carrying out their lives in their town and out of nowhere…

I know people in Maine not too distant from Lewiston. Close enough it would be plausible they’d be in town or they’d know someone affected. Damn.

They gotta get him. I see reports as well saying he’s identified. At first it seemed like multiple shooters. But only one in three locations, I suppose. Fuck this.

I have seen posts online that when called with tips about who the shooter is people are being told he has been identified. They are only interested in tips about location.

They have put the presser on hold. The thought is they now know for whom they are looking, and they don’t want to tip him off as they search. Lewiston and auburn are on lockdown.

MSNBC just reported the name, Robert Card. That’s what had been floated all over Twitter.

One of the articles I’ve seen described the weapon as a “tactical rife”. Is that the new preferred term for “assault weapon” or “assault rifle”? And will it satisfy the gun nuts’ pedantic obsession with those terms?

The guy is a trained arms instructor in the army reserves, so, goodie, the fuzz have an up hill battle in front of them. And I’m starting to have mini panic attacks because the guy is on the loose and moving south, and my sister and her family are south of Lewiston. Irrational, I know, but still.