Adam Lambert on AMA's - this was controversial?

Not to be argumentative (I see and somewhat agree with these points), but I think Adam actually can sing (better than in this performance, anyway), and I think he’s going to be around for a long, long time. He’s a complete media whore - he will do WHATEVER it takes to become a star.

Much ado about nothing. On par with or tamer than anything Madonna has done both in action and costume, definitely much tamer in lyrics. I couldn’t even tell the gender of who ever he kissed. “Disney owned” is completely irrelevant sans the Disney label - see: Dreamworks.

Unwanted images of Willard Scott and Al Roker making an impromptu Lambert Sandwich I renounce thee!
Old joke: an old lady calls the cops to tell her that her neighbors are behaving indecently and having sex with the window open. The cops come to her house, go onto her terrace, see nothing and ask where the neighbors are.
Old lady: “Get up on that chair, peer around the corner, and look to the left with these binoculars at the fourth window up second to the left and you can’t miss them!”

Lambert is not my type musically or in appearance- I can see why he is many people’s but his voice is too screamy and his appearance too “bastard son of John Travolta and Liza Minnelli let loose in the STAR TREK prop room” for my taste, so I’m pretty neutral. I thought it was crude, but I also think it was crude like Janet-Jackson-Nipplegate in that it was mainly offensive IF you paused it, enlarged it, and watched it repeatedly. And while having guys and gals fondle him and grind their faces in his crotch may have turned him on it’s the publicity that’s had him erect ever since; I think this was totally planned. (I also wouldn’t be surprised to learn he’s a major druggie.)

So, a lot of hype over nothing and probably orchestrated by Lambert. He’ll be big news until the Susan Boyle sex tapes are released later this week, then he and Kanye will be tag teaming to disrupt the next music awards to upstage her.

Adam Lambert is a much better singer than what you saw on the AMAs.

Listen to his cover of Mad World and see if it doesn’t change your mind a little.

You know, I liked it.

I agree, it was a terrible vocal performance for someone with a pretty good voice.

But I welcome the return of performance to pop music. Not just glitz, but true performance. It’s not the shock part that got me- it’s that he was unapologetically doing his thing. His gay, gay, gay thing.

I can’t wait until his songs make it to China. All the young girls are going to think “he’s so handsome,” and then they’ll figure it out. Hehehehe.

Hell, that happened when he was on Idol.

I’m a fan of that Mad World cover.

I was disappointed by his AMA performance, though, because I didn’t think the song was interesting. It lacked a hook, and most of the song didn’t take advantage of his vocal strengths. Regarding the choreography - meh. I wasn’t offended, but I thought he was trying too hard to be edgy. I’m sure he knew that he would be pulled from GMA, and I guess he wanted the publicity of being too sexy for GMA more than he wanted the publicity he would have gotten from a tame appearance on GMA.

So here is, I think, a relevant question. Has anyone ever done a sexually provocative routine at the AMAs before? If they have, and it passed without comment, I think it’s pretty safe to call homophobia. But if this is not typically an appropriate routine for this venue, then I would call it a bad judgment call.

So with you there. I hate publicity stunts. If you have talent, you have talent and be famous for that. If you don’t have any talent, then I guess you don’t get to be famous. That holds for you celebutantes, too.

I wonder that too, is this ok at the Tony Awards? The Mtv’s VMA’s seems like an ok venue for said behavior. I think this was meant as a stunt, and think if I were gay I would be pissed he’s using it in his defense. The oral, (and to some extent the grabbing), wouldn’t be controversial anyway.

If it wasn’t more than just his album coming out, and to make up that he couldn’t sing.

Edit. I personally don’t care about it. I’m just trying to see it happen with hetero couplings, and the outcome. Less, sure… bu that only helps the kid.

GMA is being hypocritical. The producers won’t hesitate to cover sex scandals and would positively fall over themselves to get the scoop on some celebrity’s mistress or prostitute and get the juicy details, but Adam Lambert somehow crosses the line? I think they overreacted waaaaay too much.

bigbertha:

Nothing at all against Cook, but the first is still the best. Any air that passes through Kelly Clarkson’s vocal cords is more than welcome in my ears.

Because these days an award show that doesn’t have some “shocking” content is by definition mediocre.

Remember the good old days when controversy was stirred by that wierd green dress of J. Lo’s? Well, that’d rate barely five seconds of coverage nowadays. I expect to see (well, hear about afterward since I don’t watch award shows) a moment of full-frontal nudity no later than 2011.

My money’s on Lady Gaga for that.

That’s the part of it that I really liked, too - the PERFORMANCE! (Imagine sparkles and stars all around that word.)

Adam’s (unapologetic) response. He says in this interview:

so maybe the outrage is just about gay men being openly gay. ETA: He also noted that his performance was on at 11 pm (LA time, I presume), which is an excellent point - that’s well past young kid bedtime.

I never followed American Idol and had never heard of this guy until now. That said…

Okay, good for him. I totally respect how he handled that. He needs to work on his act, but given the apparent history of risque performances on this show, he did nothing wrong.

At least he’s got his priorities straight. (Uh, gaily forward?)

No, she won’t be naked, she’ll be wearing naked people.

Today the performance everybody is talking about is AI winner Kris Allen’s.

Well, everybody at the Olive Garden where he stopped in with his wife and in-laws.

The performance being when he sang happy birthday to one of the waitresses. They’re all still talking about it.
Just joking: nobody at all anywhere is talking about an AI winner Kris Allen performance.

My neighbor bought the Lambert album and it’s pretty fun so I got a copy at Wal*Mart for $10. For a moment I felt a pull to be fair and get Kris’s album. I got over it. (And bought REO Speedwagon’s Christmas album instead–squee!)

Kris has an album out? I think perhaps Kris needs to go on an awards show and perform with his cock and balls hanging out.

I can totally see that.