Adam West died.

Nooooooo!

To the big Batcave in the sky, Robin!*

Don’t forget to disconnect the Batphone after you tell the police to retire the Bat Signal!

RIP, Adam! :frowning:

*Let us hope that Burt Ward will hang around stately Wayne Manor a while longer.

They say the key to a comedy act is the straight man; so, sure, Frank Gorshin got the Emmy nomination for playing off West in the pilot episode – but there’s no there there if West isn’t relaxed and confident while radiating calm sincerity.

The gag, of course, is that he’s doing the ‘plainclothes cop’ bit while dressed in that absurd outfit – which is why the show as a whole got nominated for the Best Comedy Emmy – but the point is that he nailed it.

(I’m admittedly biased, since as a kid I dressed up as Batman for Halloween – and it was, by heaven, as the Adam West version.)

Oh well. He was never anything but Batman. I saw him in bit parts before his fame as the iconic camp version of the Caped Crusader but after that could never see him as anything else. It takes a certain kind of talent in a certain kind of role to pull that off and he became a cultural icon that exceeded the role itself. So farewell Adam/Bruce/Batman, in superhero portrayal heaven you have company, George/Clark/Superman, Clayton/John/Kemo Sabe/Lone Ranger, among others, but you did it in your own unique way, mainly with your voice alone, and you will be welcomed there heartily, and the star of next celebrity heaven ComicCon where the greats of the industry will dress up as you to show homage, and engage in the sincerest form of flattery by imitating your mannerisms. Somehow there is something fitting to your passing from the mortal plane as the portrayer of the most mortal of the superhero pantheon and truly becoming immortal as a star in the sky as the way of the divine beings of the past.

90% of life is pure luck. But the fact Adam West’s Batman is still remembered says something about his abilities

He was great, but people noticed he was sitting down in every scene. I guess he wasn’t doing too well even then.

In the late 1980’s, when Citadel sculpted their second line of Imperial Space Marine miniatures for Warhammer 40,000, da Studio Ladz named them after Batman cast members as a lark.

There’s a Brother (Adam) West, Brother (Burt) Ward, Captain (Cesar) Romero, Brother (Burgess) Meredith … even a Brother (Yvonne) Craig!

When they put them in the catalogue, though, they dropped all the silly names for the marines and just gave them descriptions (“Bolter #10”, “Power Axe #2”, etc.).

I love this Batman/Catwoman seduction scene.

Funny; when I was in fifth and sixth grade, I never thought of West’s ***Batman ***as a comedy. To me, it was deadly serious, scientifically accurate, true-to-life detective work.

Lord, how my view has changed! :smack:

(I still can’t see it as a comedy, though. Over-the-top camp, yes. But comedic? No!)

These statements are both exactly true. It took me a few years to realize the absurdity and campiness. Initially Batman was a true hero and crime fighter.
I feel the same way about Star Trek TOS though! I love it for basically the same reasons.

Is it my dirty imagination, or does the Batbulge actually get a little bigger in that scene? :dubious:

Hell, I back then also thought The Time Tunnel was both scientifically and historically accurate.* And that you could ride jeeps through the desert and blow up whole German convoys with just a couple of machine guns! :smack:

*Until it dawned on me that everyone spoke prefect contemporary American English, no matter where or what period they were from!

Looks like the sand-shark finally got him.

LOL. That’s freakin’ funny!

The Batbulge! Hahahaha… :D:D:D:D:D

Holy Tumescence!

Just being that close to Julie Newmar would make me want to polish the old Batpole too! :o

A reference to “The Invisible Enemy”, The Outer Limits, 1964?

RIP Adam West…he was a classy guy.

Burt Ward put out a very ugly self-published autobiography. He is the polar opposite of Adam West.

Wow, I didn’t think he was that old. I guess he was in his late thirties when they made the show. RIP.

Here’s one of my favorite moments.

The Outer what? :wink:

Just saw it recently, first time in 40+ years. A little harder to suspend disbelief (cheesy FX); still fun.

[quote=“Larry_Borgia, post:38, topic:788594”]

Wow, I didn’t think he was that old. I guess he was in his late thirties when they made the show. RIP.

Here’s one of my favorite moments.

[/QUOTE]

That totally fucking rocked!