Aeschines, Statistician Extraordinaire

Still looking for that retraction, chief.

Stranger

Not participating. Have fun.

Also, it’s pretentious to put “Stranger” at the end of every post you write. Stop that. We can see your user name.

My interest in your opinion on anything is tempered by what an vacuous mannequin you are.

Stranger

But yo momma got that sweet machinery inside!

Gotta say the “Not participating.” followed with an insult was a nice touch.

I’m not participating in talking about the topic at hand because I covered it in the other thread.

Stranger, I don’t have the need to play the 100% invalidation game that’s the main sport here. I actually think that you are one of the smarter and more knowledgeable people on this site. Concerning covid, you have consistently been a source of edifying information and perceptive opinion.

That said, you also are extremely pretentious and literally seem like someone with Asperger’s. And you are rather much a mean-spirited invalidating cunt. But in that, you are in good company on the Dope.

Eh, it’s classic internet behavior. Post something stupid and factually incorrect and then double and triple down. It eventually leads to links to articles or tweets they don’t understand, but they desperately hope supports some adjacent point to the original stupid one.

Paraphased: I don’t understand how probabilities work and despite Nate Silver repeatedly explaining to me how probabilities work, I didn’t listen. Therefore it’s his fault that I misunderstood how these things work. There for nobody should say one thing is more likely to happen than another thing because people like me will just assume that that means the first thing is guaranteed to happen.

Also its Neil deGrasse Tyson’s fault that I think that the sun orbits the earth, and Julia Child’s fault that I thought that I thought that cooking my chicken at 150 degrees for 4 and a half hours was the same as cooking it for 450 degrees for an hour and a half.

Oh this is good, this is right up there with “I’m not going to participate in a struggle session.” I have both of these bookmarked for when I make myself look like an absolute tool.

OK, the crux of the matter here seems to be if Nate Silver had Hillary Clinton at “like 95%” around election time.
Why all the fighting? That should be easy enough to look up, huh?
Someone look that shit up, please. I’ve been drinking.

@Aeschines should just stick to lazy gen-x, out-of-touch, sneering commentary on modern culture. That’s his sweet spot.

This place is filled with posters who absolutely refuse to admit they were wrong. I believe they all read from the same self-help book, one that preached that the admission of wrongness, however minor, diminishes you.

Here’s the reality. Nobody will think less of you for acknowledging a mistake. Hopefully they will in fact think better of you. It’s getting a reputation, as the subject of this thread has, for never backing off from nonsense that has been thoroughly refuted that one should avoid at all costs.

And for the rest of you, here’s a piece of wisdom I have painfully learned from twenty years here. If someone has repeated the same argument in the same words three times, the thread is over. Leave it go. Nothing will change. You are talking to a wall. The wall will always win because it’s your head that is taking the beating.

Stuff like that is why I respect you so much.

As always, much appreciated.

It’s a pissing match. Taking bets on whose white sneakers will turn yellow first… even money…

I don’t think it’s black-and-white whether I was wrong or not. But I will say this: I was not the right person to take on the anti-Silver position, since I just don’t know enough about statistics to go against the 20-odd people who were opposing me. Had I known it would be dogpile time, I wouldn’t have said anything. I wasn’t really in shape for the debate.

And also regarding being wrong or right, the issues were complicated and multiple. So what does “admitting I was wrong” in that thread even consist of? That Nate Silver is fucking awesome? There are many who disagree, and I’m hardly the worst hater of the man. I’m not even a hater. I supplied links to people more knowledgeable than I on the matter.

How is that? Does that count as some sort of reasonable concession?

It’s sweet spot #2. Afta yo momma, hon.

LOL, did he get you off, or did you jerk yourself to completion?

The part I emphasized is the only relevant part. I just don’t know enough about statistics, either, which is why I didn’t take on Silver.

It’s okay to not know much about a subject; you don’t have to sneer at experts in a subject because you’re pig-ignorant of it.

But guys, thank you. This is officially a Pit fizzle, aka Pizzle. No energy. In the good (= bad) old days, this mighta been epic! We coulda had a real dogpile with people getting into it, really putting energy into those punches and kicks to the face and groin.

The OP himself is off wankin’ his rod somewhere, can’t even be assed to participate. Too bad. I was hoping for a rumble. So FSM bless you ALL, and may you ALL continue to be Great Lads online and IRL. Peace!