Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D S03E09: Closure

I believe it was a reference to online speed dating. If you’re not liking the face in front of you, you swipe left and get another one. There’s a particular site that does this but I don’t know what it is called.

Tinder is the most popular of those apps.

Oh, online dating. Makes sense that I’ve never heard the term. I’ve never dated online and even offline, it’s been years.

Thanks.

I saw Banks as more of a button down, follow authority type versus Hunter as a loose cannon. I don’t see them as doppelgangers, but the point is moot now.

I’m going from memory, and making some assumptions here - in the episode where they got Simmons back, they used the generators to open the portal, Fitz fired a flare through, then the generators broke. Daisy realized she could duplicate the frequency the generators were using, and reopened the portal, Fitz jumped through with a rope around his waist, and came back with Simmons.

So there’s a few possibilities -

1. anyone could have come back at any time, but it took a genius like Fitz to come up with the idea of a rope.

2. Anyone can come back at any time, but the generators can only keep the portal open for a very short time. Daisy can keep it open significantly longer.

3. The portal opened by the generators is a one way portal only. Daisy can open a two way portal.

Given that 1 is immeasurably stupid, plus Simmons was willing to be tortured to not give away the secret of how she got back, and that Daisy will conveniently soon be at the site where Fitz just got sent through a portal (without a rope, notice), I’m assuming and praying it’s 2 or 3 or something else more interesting than a rope.

Minor issue - they talk about how they need the room to vibrate (or presumably someone who can MAKE it vibrate) but when SHIELD had the monolith it would happily melt and reform and even reach out and grab people without such external stimulus.

They need the vibration to force it to open on their schedule. Otherwise it keeps its own schedule (the one calculated by Simmons so that she knew where it would eventually reopen) based on the astrology of the other planet.

Fair enough, though it seemed to bloop pretty frequently on its own. I’m surprised somebody went to the trouble to build a magic fingers room when you could just wait twenty minutes.

On reflection, I gather the monolith melting on its own is an effect that only lasts a few seconds. But if they have the vibrating room and can keep the monolith molten for longer periods, then it raises the question of why it was so difficult to make it a two way trip, barring some as yet unrevealed information.

The “NASA” program was obviously able to keep the portal open long enough to send through a four-man team and a huge amount of materiel from what we see (including a computer). So I don’t think they’ll have problems keeping the portal open long enough. The reason that Fitz et al had difficulty keeping it open was that they were using the mothballed ~medieval tech left behind in the castle, not the ~70s “NASA” tech.

After the next episode, the show returns on March 8, according to ABC.

That website says Agent Carter premieres on Jan 5, but the actual ABC website, as well as all the commercials say it premieres on Jan 19.

ETA, which given a 7 night run (8 episodes, one a double), same as last year, would allow AoS to come back on the 8th, as long as there are no nights off in between.

This was an interesting episode, but I hated that they killed off Rosalind. They spent a lot of time building her up, with all the fakeouts on whether she and Coulson would get together and whose side she was on. After all that, to just have her be another woman in a refrigerator felt cheap to me. It’s a tired old cliche and she deserved better.

It also raises questions about why baddies don’t seem to try to take potshots at Coulson et al very often. I get that Ward might be one of the only people talented enough to make a shot from that distance, but I still didn’t buy it. Ward could pick off someone as well-protected as Coulson with a sniper rifle like the guy from Wanted, and he waits until now to try it?

Looking forward to the next episode, but Ward seriously needs to die. I predict that he will in the mid-season finale, but one of the good guys will go down with him. I like Mack as a character, but I do hope that he’s not being set up to replace Coulson after he goes down killing Ward or something.

I like the prediction that Will is actually in Hydra. It would be consistent with the theme of the Fitz/Simmons ship being perpetually cursed if Will ends up revealing his true nature and killing Fitz.

I’m a little surprised that during Daisy’s debriefing about Ward, she expressed sympathy and understanding but didn’t mention even in passing that she shot him three times.

Maybe a kind word and a gun DOESN’T work better than just a kind word.

So, this episode, Ward needed to piss off Coulson so that Coulson would provide him with a convenient opportunity to kidnap Fitz/Simmons.

Still would have made a lot more sense for Ward to have a second shooter or use something that could kill both of them, since both the ATCU and Shield are enemies of Hydra.

ATCU was a Hydra front (or maybe more like a corrupted organization like old SHIELD). Wasn’t that the whole point? Roz discovered in the previous episode that she had been reporting to Malick…who is a Hydra head. The Inhumans she thought she was shipping off to stasis were actually being shipped off to Hydra labs.

Fair enough, but that also raises odd questions about how Ward was able to predict that pissing off Coulson would result in him putting Fitz/Simmons in the open. And yeah, killing Coulson would probably benefit Ward more than pissing him off.

It’s an age old problem in drama. I am not sure what the TV tropes for it is, but it is especially bad in heist movies similar to “Oceans 11”. The plan of a particular character relies on this perfectly timed series of dominoes - a Xanatos gambit - to fall exactly like the character intended.

On another note, how does Agents of shield get away with such graphic violence? This episode, we see one character shot to death, blood leaking out of a neck wound, and another character gunned down with a bullet in his head. Like, graphic, explicit scenes that I thought were more the domain of R-rated action movies. Isn’t this a network TV show?

I think it would have been better if get Fitz and Simmons caught was actually part of Coulson’s plan, so he could track down Ward.

It’s an American tv show. Graphic content here would be something like, I dunno, a mother breastfeeding. Or a flash of male butt. Shocking stuff. Depicting gun violence? meh.

Less factiously, one of the reasons that Agents of SHIELD was moved to a later time slot was so they’d be more allowed to depict the type of violence seen in, say, the games my nephews play.