Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D S03E09: Closure

I was fine with her character but if that 5 minutes of “witty” banter with Coulson that preceded her death was indicative of things that would have come then it is best she died quickly.

I agree that this entire plot has been muddled.
(1) The whole “we’ve been working in secret for generations to open the portal so this guy can come through and then we will be rewarded with power” thing makes no sense. First of all, Hydra has come awfully close to taking over the world many times without needing this mysterious entity. Secondly, Hydra is full of very smart and cynical people. Why would any of them trust that this promise made many centuries ago (or whatever) would be honored? Why would Ward possibly buy into this silly business? It doesn’t fit his cynical nature at all

(2) It’s very confusing (as is being debated in this thread) precisely what it is that they need Fitz for. Maybe he’s the only one who will be able to calculate where the portal will open again, when they open it again in precisely 7 days (or whatever the time frame is)? How would they be so confident that he would have have that knowledge or capability? We as the audience know (kinda), but how does Hydra know?

Also, the whole Ward’s brother thing is ridiculous. So all this time Ward had a brother, who was just a random civilian, and was the only one that Ward loved, but they never thought of trying to take advantage of that until now, because… because now they are extra super mad at Ward?

No real argument on this point (especially Ward’s agreeing to go, I don’t see any upside for him), but there does seem to be a blind faith, almost religious aspect to some of Hydra’s doings, and I write it off to that. Destiny! Not very satisfying plotwise, I know.

I was under impression that Fitz is ‘insurance’ that the portal re-opens even if SHIELD takes control, but where Coulson ended up at the end of the ep kind of throws this idea out the, er, portal. Likewise, would any of the SHIELD folks know where Coulson went, at this point?

Ward needs to be put in a potato and fed to birds.

I may be misremembering but didn’t one or both of them see the heat signature image and Coulson disappearing into the portal?Also… Presumably Bobbi and Hunter would put 2 and 2 together when Coulson isn’t on the ground if they didn’t see it themselves.

It also feels like a cheat that in three seasons, including several scenes where they discussed Ward’s family, nobody ever mentioned his younger brother was alive. They certainly went well out of their way to imply he had been killed in the well incident even if they didn’t say it explicitly.

It kind of bugged me that they’d take the time to drop Ward’s brother off, instead of rushing to the castle. It might have put Ward in conflict with his HYDRA buddies on whether or not to try to shoot the plane down, but I can see why having introduced this MacGuffin character, they got rid of him just as abruptly.

Now I want a piece of cake.

Maybe they had to stop to refuel?