Alls I know...

Actually, the plural of y’all is y’all all, not all y’all. I have as my authority a waitress at Denny’s who said 'Do y’all all have a menu?" I didn’t notice anything unusual until a friend pointed it out.

You forgot a few and THESE ought to drive my Spellchecker into a nervous breakdown.

You be, he be, we be, she be.
U’s a dawg
a’ight (all right)
'poze (suppose)
‘sup! (what is up)
Sistah (sister)
Brotha (brother)
boot-tay (booty {sex??})
wa-chawan (what do you want)
heai (phonetic: haaAAAAY! [begin soft, increase a decibel and octave or two by the finish.])
dat (that)
who dat (who’s that)
w-aw’z (what’s)
ummmmhummm (phonetics: umm-low octave -humm higher octave. Ummhumm. MUST be accompanied by pursed lips and derogatory negative, side to side head shaking.)
girrrrlllll! (phonetics: start low octave, extend, complete on high octave. Means girl.)
You bad. (?)
I be bad. (?)
tawkin’ (talking)
SSSSSS (lengthening the beginning or ending S on a word. Doesn’t matter which word. Any word with a beginning or ending S will do.)
gimmie dat (give me that)
hawouse (house also known as crib like in baby crib.)
Including ‘aw’ in any word with an ou sound like house.

What? Me worry?’

Actually, I found the word “irregardless” in an dictionary from the 60’s. I could provide the actual definition, Handy-style, but basically it defines it as a humorous word, used to get laughs. Even if it is a real word, it is very much misused.
The one that is bugging me a bunch right now is “know what I’m sayin’?”. or “know-what-I’m-sayin’?” Just watch the lower talk shows like Ricki Lake, and Jerry Springer and you’ll hear it used frequently. Every time someone uses this modern form of “you know” I feel like answering "yes- I DO know what you are saying. If you continue to approximate the English language, I will continue to “know what you are sayin’”.

Sweet Basil

Folks,

“Y’all” is always only plural.

It is never singular.

Never.

Except in the minds of outlanders.

“And I’m like, ’ . . . ', and he’s all, ’ . . . '”

“Nucular”

‘Nome seyin’?

“Y’all” is the plural form of “you” in SouthernSpeak. This is how y’all can tell someone who is putting on a phony Suth’n accent. By the same token, “youse” is the plural form of “you” in New Yorkese. Being a New Yorker with a mother from Tennessee, I know these things.

One case of execrable grammer that makes me want to beat the user (or misuser) senseless is “Them are”.
“What do you think of my new shoes?”
“Oh, them are nice.”

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

The Dave-Guy
“since my daughter’s only half-Jewish, can she go in up to her knees?” J.H. Marx

Ah. I get it! This is where one posts expressions that piss off OpalCat. Hoo boy, and do I have a beauty right here!

Coldfire MP3 Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears

So there. By the way, if you don’t understand this, you probably need to spend some more time in the chat room :wink:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

You go into a lengthy explanation, clearly outlining your arguement on some topic or in a debate, and the other person says, “Well, all I know is…” I hate that.

“I spaded my cat”. I imagine someone placing the flat front edge of a shovel on a poor pussy, planting a foot on the top, two hands on the handle, and SNICK! Spaded cat.

Improper use of “literaly”.

Or, “He gave it to her and I.”

“Head over heels” is my usual orientation. It would be hard to walk otherwise.

“Back and forth”. Don’t you have to go forth before you come back?

I don’t mind “my bad”.

‘gave it to her & i’, argh! i hate that! did these people spend no time whatsoever listening when the teacher was explaining that grammer thing?

Way back at the beginning of my career, I was lowest man on the totem pole at a library. Most frustrating job I have ever had. Working at a library for people who said liberry! Including the librarian!

Arrrrgh.

My dog’s breeder says “spaded”. What an idiot.

What’s wrong with this one? You just don’t like it? Because it is correct, you know.

Nope. You’re standing still. You take a step backwards. You take a step forwards. Back and forth, my brutha.

AAARGGHH!! I hate it when people spend no time whatsoever in listening when the teacher was explaining the CAPITALISATION THING.

Plus, it is grammar, of course.

Coldfire

(Significantly softer now)

Feel free to delete the word “in” from my previous post. Just keeping things tidy…

BTW, can Y’ALL tell I have finally mastered these UBB Codes??

Coldfire

Well, since we’re all talking about pet peeves, here’s another:

anyways.

Kindly remove the s. Thank you.

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge…others just gargle.

Sure, leave it to a French Canuck to criticise the fine Nglish Language.

**Anywho…[/b

:wink:

Coldfire

Aaaahhhh… much better.

Coldfire

That’s it. I need more coffee before experimenting with codes :wink:

Coldfire

i go w/ the anyways thing, moosie! argh again.

however, cold, it happens to be capitalization, unless you are talking financial stuff, i.e., the capitalisation of stock. but maybe it’s a dutch thing?

Well, no, it isn’t a Dutch thing. But since I’m a banker, I’ll go with the Financial Speak reason :wink:

But special: if you know how to write it, why don’t you practice it?

Coldfire

i understand religion, but i don’t practice that either.

actually, my normal business software, microsoft word, capitalizes for me. this sw doesn’t.

i make long posts but short paragraphs. read them or not. it’s no different to me.

much love,
the cheerful poopie head