Am I Being Unreasonable or Landlord Advice Needed

I live in a darling little one bedroom mother-in-law apartment. My landlords live in the house below me. They are a Tibetan Buddhist family, who I adored until recently. There are a few reasons I am now at the end of my rope. [ul][li]They got a dog. Not just any dog, but a Rotwieller. I think they did this because they are paranoid about crime. I mean, Burlington isn’t exactly an epicenter of shady activies. The neighborhood we live in isn’t anything swanky, but it is DEFINATELY safe. I have an old lady living across the street and one next door. Where old ladies live, safety follows. Or vise versa. Never the less, this dog BARKS. It has gotten a little better, but he will occationally start howling and barking in the middle of the day when no one is home downstairs, and I am trying to sleep because…[]I work nights. And when I’m not working nights, I am waking up at 7:00 AM to get to class. Some times I am working nights (until either 11:30 or 12:30) and THEN getting up at 7 for class. Needless to say, with a schedual like this, I need to either sleep in or nap. I am fine with waking up early and then napping. However, with the lonely pootch, napping isn’t really an option for good, deep sleep. So that leaves me with a good night’s sleep. Also not possible, because… []For the last two mornings, at 8 AM sharp, LOUD music has woken me. Yesterday it was drumming. I want to say some variation of Taikio, but I could be wrong. Today it was just music, I want to say some world beat/blues fusion, but at 8 AM, who the fornification cares WHAT it is? And on the weekends, no less. This is not the first time this has happened. Apparently, 8 AM is vacuuming time, also. And the noise continues throughout the day, hammering, pounding, more music, dog barking or scratching at the wall, etc. The thing is, these are nice people. I’d come home in the summer to bags of vegetables on my door from their garden. For the love of all things holy, they are BUDDHISTS. They really don’t have too much malice. But this is ridiculous. I haven’t had a decent night’s sleep in WEEKS. I was told that I looked like “crap” by my coworker the other day, due to the bags and general look of fatigue. [/ul][/li]So what should I do, Dopers? How do you approach your landlords and tell them that they need to quiet down? And what time is a decent hour to start vacuuming? And is drumming EVER acceptable? I ask these questions because I am a VERY quiet person, my general rule of thumb is that if I can hear the TV or stereo in another room of my apartment, it is WAY too loud. So maybe I’m not judging on a normal person’s scale. And because I work nights, I tend not to go to bed until 2 or 3. So anything before noon is early to me. However, I realise that most people don’t run on this schedual.

Help. I don’t want to be a bitch, but…I’m considering moving from this great apartment because I can’t deal. Oy vey iz mir.

You are not being unreasonable at all. If they are as nice as they sound, I bet they will be receptive to all that you said in your OP. They probably have no idea that they are disrupting your life and sleep so much. IMHO, the dog will be the hardest part. I understand that dogs can be trained not to bark, but I believe it can be very involved training them. Maybe they would be willing to crate him in a distant part of the house when they are not there to supervise?

Good luck with this. It seems to me to be a real shame to move from an apartment you like without at least trying to come to a workable arrangement.

BTW, you can be my next-door neighbor any time. Quiet neighbors are a blessing. :slight_smile:

You are nor being unreasonable. Tell them that although you appreciate that they got a watchdog to protect you all from hoodlums (I’ve always wanted to use that word :D) pooch is preventing you from the beautysleep you so desperatly need. And speaking of sleeping, although some people find it soothing, you don’t. They seem like nice people. Most likely they’ll apologize profusely and if you’re really lucky, they might offer you one month rent free to patch things up between you.

Oh and by the way…

If nothing else works out, I’d be happy to kill the person living in the apartment above me and you can move in there instead. The guy is driving me crazy!! You’d have to move to Sweden, but it’s not so bad over here…

Drumming that is.
(Preview! Preview I tell you!)

You can also start the discussion about the dog by saying, “I worry about your dog. He seems to get very lonely during the day, and barks and howls.”

Of course you should realize that if the dog barks and howls because he’s lonely, they may get another dog to keep him company…

Ooh, good lead! I’d definitely do this. And if they are very warm and receptive people, they might fall for the “Is someone taking music lessons? They’re progressing very well . . .” Judicious questions. Good call lesa
But what do I know?

Tripler