Amazing candid animal video.

They showed this on the ABC evening news. A tourist on a photo safari in Africa caught this on his videocam, I don’t want to give it away, but it’s an absolutely amazing piece. It will be shown again on ABC’s “I-Caught” that airs later tonight.
It involves cape buffalo, lions and an aligator and it’s probably, at least, a one in a million occurrence .

Why wait for the TV? It’s not that new, but it’s still good.

Utterly amazing. This is the single most engaging wildlife film/video I have ever seen. And the guy didn’t do a half bad job with the camera. It’s good to see people handle one well for a change.

The interactions of the animals reminded me of how human group behaviors are so much like wild animal group behaviors.

Man, that was cool! Thanks for posting the link.
(I kept trying to zoom in for a better look with the wheel on my mouse. Didn’t work.)

Seriously- how was the animal not dead after being chewed on five minutes?

I wondered that, but it looks like the lions never really got started on the meal - they pinned the calf down, but they weren’t in a position to start chomping because of the threats from the buffalo herd - I expect the interaction with the croc might have thrown them off their game too.

That was incredible. I wonder what became of the calf, and the lion that got picked up and tossed?

As unlikely as it sounds, they became lovers and moved to San Francisco, where attitudes are more tolerant toward their relationship.

OK, seriously… The lion that was gored looked like it was limping a bit - maybe it was just winded, but I think it might have actually taken a puncture wound to the abdomen, which could easily become infected and life threatening, or could be debilitating to the point of threatening life even if it didn’t become infected - they’re one meal away from starvation a lot of the time.

The calf? It stood up and walked away. Again, infection of wounds is a possibility, but it’s in a vigorous growth phase and its immune system is probably in its prime.

Any other source besides youtube?, it´s blocked in Thailand…

Try the ABC news site and look for the program, “I-Caught”. I think you’ll find it there, along w/ a bunch of other candid videos.

The lions got off lightly though, once they’d got themselve pinned against the river it looked like the buffalo were going to beat the shit out of them (and I’m sure crocs wouldn’t turn their noses up at lion meat).

It did look as though the buffalo were intent on driving the lions into the water, which is interesting if it’s anything other than coincidence.

I was hoping one of the crocs would make lunchmeat out of a lion.

Aside from the survival of the calf, I was intrigued by the interplay between the buffalo and the lions. The buffalo, at first, were terrified by the cats, but then seemed to be emboldened when they saw that the calf was still trying to escape, even after being mauled. They were still a bit wary, but after the one bull horned the cat they went on the offense w/ a good deal of vigor. At first it appeared that their courage was inspired by their superiority in number, but, near the end two of the bulls actually stared down one cat, and even went after him, when he gave up the challenge and tried to make his escape.
We’ve got a lot to learn about the thought processes in animal brains.

I’ve seen footage of a group of lions trying to take down an adult buffalo before - they failed and apparently they seldom succeed - healthy adults are not particularly vulnerable (which is why the lions go for the calves or sick/injured adults. That’s not to say that a healthy adult isn’t taking risks in facing down a lion - it might survive the incident, but sustain a seemingly minor injury that will develop into something fatal.

But what you’re witnessing there is evolution in action. The group with the trait for facing down lions stands a better chance of raising surviving offspring.

I too was hoping the buffalo were smart (?) enough to force the lions to the water and make them chose between death by buffalo or croc.

I haven’t watched the video yet, as I’m at work, but I remember at my old boarding stable a bunch of stray dogs came into the geldings’ paddock. Amongst the geldings was a pot-bellied pig that lived on the farm. The dogs started to go after the pig, and the horses split into two groups. One group drove off the dogs, and the other group herding the pig up against a big round bale of hay and stood guard. It was fascitnating to see the herd dynamics in action, particularly to protect a totally different species.

StG

Very cool video, thanks.

Was anyone else annoyed by the beeping? I found myself thinking, “Jeez, even on YouTube I can’t get away from cell phones in the theater!”

Though I think it was probably a satellite phone, rather than a cell – the beep sounded like the satphone a contractor I used to work with had. Still.

(And now I’m remembering my youthful years of watching Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. Sigh. I miss some things from old-tyme TV.)

I remember an account by a former zoo worker about when wild dogs broke into the female kangaroo (flyer) pen to go after the joeys. The male kagaroos (boomers) jumped out of their own pen and into the female pen. They then proceeded to kick the shit out of the dogs and severely injured some of them as they chased them out.

That was an engrossing video. Were the lions trying to suffocate the calf, before the herd showed up? Isn’t that how they disable their (larger) prey?

I wish the camera had been more stable, but still…what a lucky place to be!