Amazing Race Family 10/25 - "We're Getting Out of the Country, Girls"

I’m wondering if that research center is a) on the island mentioned in the last National Geographic (the article about radio tracking the ocelots) and b) if Colibri works there…

He also screamed like a little girl and clutched at his mommy. :rolleyes:

The Gaghans rather stupidly watched the entire scene rather than immediately ditching the Fast Forward. They’re in second to last place for a reason. I’m sure little Carissa Gaghan would have enjoyed the bungee jump, though.

“Where are the buses?” “It’s an island.” “He’s lying to us!”

Yeah…I was kind of gobsmacked when that little dust-up happened, too. Where did that come from?

And did anyone else catch Gaghan Dad when they were stuck behind the Pepsi machine saying something like “…these people…”? :dubious: A specific complaint against the truck drivers, or a more general comment on the Latin American mañana attitude?

I’m not going to bust anyone one how they react to heights or falling because I have a terrible fear of falling. I doubt I could have done the bungee jump, so he gets all the props for doing it despite his fear.

I think the “these people” comment was directed at the specific lazy Panamanians, not at all the lazy Panamanians.

This morning’s USA TODAY had a really scathing article bashing the family edition of TAR. And after watching tonight’s episode, I think USA TODAY is right! This edition seems really tame compared to the couples’ versions. And I was really disappointed that Ma Weaver didn’t come up with any more Fractured Geography Statements today! But the Pink Ladies putting on ALL their clothing in anticipation of an NEL were pretty funny! The rest of the show? Not so much.

And don’t forget, they’d had boat issues earlier, so I suspect he was getting a little fed up with their transportation problems that day. What was with their boat driver anyway? He’s been hired by the tv show to transport a team around for however long that took, so he’s going to go pick up other people too? That was strange, and I don’t blame the Gaghans for getting a little pissed off.

I loved the Godlewskis putting on all their clothes, though I don’t think anything could ever top Brian and Greg. Phil’s reaction didn’t disappoint either.

Sheesh. He’s said since before the show started he was afraid of heights, and he had to bungee jump with his mother so it’s not like he had anything else to clutch. Give the guy a break.

I think they showed some of their true family love, which I figured they had all along anyway. I like 'em.

My previous predictions:

1. Paolo
  2. Linz
  3. Godlewski
    4/5. Weaver/Gaghan toss-up
  4. Bransen

The actual results:

1. Paolo
  2. Weaver
  3. Bransen
  4. Linz
  5. Gaghan
  6. Godlewski

Well, at least I picked the winner, and (sort of) the Gaghan’s. I suppose I got that the Linzes would finish ahead of the Godlewskis and the Weavers would finish ahead of the Bransens, but that’s about it.

This week, the wonderful world of math brings you these predictions for next week:

1. Weavers: This team surges ahead next week (Another FF?)
  2. Bransens: Far from coming in last, they up their position to second.
  3. Linzes: Hangs on just behind the Bransens.
  4. Paolos: It could only last so long. They seem like a great family when they don’t feel failure looming over their heads. The first three teams listed here don’t change relative position, which could mean the Paolos encounter a setback.
  5. Gaghans Continuing their strategy of not-quite-losing. That may work for this part of the race, but as the fild narrows, one must focus on actual winning. The zombie-droid sheen really came off this family this ep, didn’t it?
  6. Godlewskis: As could be predicted, they will be eliminated.

Tonight’s alternate title(s): “We’re Gonna Make Tricia Make Out With You,” or “If You’re Gonna Argue, Leave The Line!”

I’ve watched the Little League World Series a few times and let me tell you, those Latin American kids are no joke. Except for this particular team, apparently…did you catch that Bill Buckner play the pitcher made? Yeesh.

What kind of government grant did those scientists get to sleep in hammocks all day in a tropical paradise?? They must be French.

Considering all the changes that were made to this season, I’m extremely surprised that they held on to the Mugged By Phil penalty for NEL’s. I guess the producers don’t flinch at the thought of little kids potentially begging for money in a Third World Country…although it should be noted that the Canal Zone, being a former American territory, is considerably better off economically than the rest of Panama. It’s not quite Hong Kong compared to China, but that’s actually an apt analogy.

Leaderboard:

1. Paolos: Ok, the whole “I want my son to say he loves me” thing was sweet, but I still hate 'em. They’re still in Central America next week, so I’m hoping that the “Crocodiles In The Area” warning sign they walked by does turn out to be foreshadowing!
  2. Weavers: Nice finish, but I don’t think they can sustain it. I still don’t understand why other teams hate them so much – sure, they don’t share information, and occasionally they ask God to smite their competition, but compared to the Designated Evil Teams of years past, they’re sweethearts. I was rather disappointed with Rolly at the Roadblock, though…he swings like a freakin’ girl!
  3. Bransens: Was this the first time in TAR history that a team actually got hijacked by their Fern? That was funny. At least they were smart enough to choose the non-physical Detour (which turned out to be the easier choice, even though it seemed at first to be harder.)
  4. Linzes: Decent finish, they’re working well together and even starting to show some personality. Only disaster will keep them out of the Final Three.
  5. Gaghans: Maybe it’s because I’m evil, but when Carissa accidentally shoved her Mom face-first into the back of that minivan, I laughed so hard and for so long I nearly gave myself a nosebleed. :smiley: Somebody’s gotta explain to this team that aiming for 2nd to last place every leg is NOT a winning strategy, it’s more like a 4th or 5th place strategy. Still, I’m amazed that they’ve made it this far in the race, and while I won’t be sad when they finally get eliminated, I do hope they stick around long enough to get NEL’d and force those annoying ankle biters into begging for money on the streets of India. (Oh wait, they’re not going to India this year. DAMN!)
  6. Godlewskis: Saved by the NEL…I do think this team still has some life left in 'em, and with any luck their tenuous alliance with the Linzes will carry them into the top 3 or 4. And remember, last season proved that racing without backpacks or money actually makes you go faster! (But really…is it a crime in Panama to wear underwear outside your clothes? Or was Phil joking?)

Oh, and note to Phil’s writers: “Cross to the Pacific side of the canal” makes no sense at all. I mean, think about it.

Good epi, considering.

How did Mrs Gaghan take a faceplant into a minivan?? Wee Carissa pushed her?, looked like she just took a dive or tripped over her Nike’s. Weird. And Mr Gagham has a potty mouth. Once again Wee Carissa spotted something, and Billy found the busses…good thing their parents brought them along.

I have a better punishment for the team that finishes last in a NEL. You have to go to the Bronx and pick up a Paola family member not in the race and take them along with you. That’s a lot worse than anything they could inflict by taking the teams money.

Didja hear one of those Desperate Housewives say as they wereclimbing ot the pit stop, “Oh no, it’s the Philiminator!.” They won’t have much trouble getting money.

I think that bball team was told to not play that well after a hit. Some of that fielding was pretty lame, but then again they were Little League. Can’t believe that Desperate Housewife was so tired winging a bat, after all weren’t you supposed to sit out after 3 pitches?? 3 swings really tire you out I guess.

Was that the suckiest prize ever? Who wants to win a trip to where they already are? Guess what Paolos? I hope you like it here, 'cause you’re coming back!

Some families get gas, some get malaria.

I read the article, and while I agree to a point, I also think a lot of the criticism being lobbed at the show this season is unfair. (It also wasn’t that scathing; the critic who wrote the review obviously doesn’t like the “families” idea and is not fond of the casting choices, but he’s not particularly constructive otherwise. Unless annieclause was referring to a different article.) As a number of people involved with the production has pointed out in interviews: This was not the producers’ idea; it was the network’s.

And I think it could have been a lot worse than many people (not me) seem to think it is. Just remember that. Not a lot of model/actors this time. No Deana-and-Ray or Freddy-and-Kendra or, God forbid, Jonathan-and-Victoria types. In a lot of ways, this season is just like the first Race, where nobody knows quite what expect of all this, and so we are seeing the limitations from many angles: How do you design Detours and Roadblocks when you have no idea what people are capable of doing? (Remember that other Races have had some goofy tasks too, like, oh, eating 4 lbs of random cow parts and rollerblading and golfing and finding a cigar store.) I don’t think that’s because of the kids, either. We’ve seen those Gaghan kids do whatever was thrown at them, and had they been around longer, I feel that the Blacks’ children would have done likewise.

On preview: light strand, there just is not enough malaria in the world to make that a fitting prize for the Paolos. But the resort they showed in the pictures looks pretty sweet. Looks like when they left the country they replaced one major product placement (BP) with another (Travelocity).

Yeah, the whole, “Do you know how ridiculous you look?” killed me. What was that black thing the one on the far right had draped over her head? It looked like a mantilla or something. And who brings a bright pink, padded push-up bra on TAR?

I totally hated the slow-mo shots of the Godlewskis draped in all of their clothing at the end, laughing at their own whimsy, but you know they have a big blow-up of one of those shots on their walls at home.

I think the “mantilla” was either a bit of mosquito netting or a lingerie-laundering bag. And I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the Brothers (either Brian or Greg seems a likely candidate) had a hot pink push-up bra stashed in their stuff. Because hey, you never know! :slight_smile:

Fifth episode, season eight. My goodness, I did not see that non-elim coming. No, I did not. Complete surprise in the zut household. Complete surprise.

Oh, and strategy: There’s only one FF in the race (Phil said so), so it’s predictable that one of the first teams will go for it. On the Detour, I’m surprised we didn’t see everyone do the birding. No chance of getting lost in finding the instruments, and you can find the birds simultaneously (four pairs of eyes) rather than sequentially–seems like a no-brainer to me, but apparently there wasn’t that much difference.

The Back Seat Report

"Over the River and Through the Woods…" - or, songs, happiness, and lots of familial love.
No one this week.

"Daddy’s driving right now, hon." - or, a little tension and impatience, but still far from the breaking point.
The Bransens (holding steady): Still a top three finish, helped by the right Detour choice and a steady Roadblock performance. A good team dynamic, and my choice to go all the way so long as Dad doesn’t collapse in a puddle.
The Linzes (down from “Over the River”): A drop to fourth, and thus a drop in the rankings this week. I think the Detour choice was the wrong one, and, although the time difference wasn’t great, it did drop the Linzes compared to the Bransens and Weavers. P.S.: Quit worrying about the Weavers, dudes. It’s annoying and counter-productive.

"Are we almost there yet?" - or, some whining and dissent, but no more than you’d expect.
The Godlewskis (down from “Daddy’s driving”): I just don’t understand how it took the Godlewskis so darn long to complete the Roadblock. The Gaghans did the same Detour, after losing time going to the Fast Forward site and twiddling their thumbs while the Paolos jumped, and still passed the Godlewskis. Just how many at-bats did Sharon take? Sheesh. I still have faith in this team, but losing their money and possessions has got to hurt.
The Paolos (holding steady): Aaaaand, right on cue, the Paolos take over first place. I said it last week and I’ll say it again: this team will not be affected by Killer Fatigue. If anything, they’ll thrive on it. Seriously, I don’t see this team beating out the three ranked ahead of them, but all it takes is one stupid move to eliminate a team, so gird your loins for the possibility of a Paolo versus Weaver final ep.
The Weavers (holding steady): I’m still a little concerned about this team’s freakout a couple weeks ago, but I’ll note that, with their second place this week, the Weavers have the highest average placing of all the teams. A good performance next week and I’ll bump them up.

"Dad… Janie’s on my side again!" - or, conflict, bad feelings, things just not going right.
No one this week.

"Dad… Jimmy made poopy-pants in the back seat." - or, near disaster, and a whole lot of clean-up required before getting back on the road.
The Gaghans (holding steady): I’m pretty sure it was a stupid move to go for the Fast Forward–the Gaghans knew there were a couple teams ahead of them. I’m certain it was a stupid move to plan on taking the FF back on the island, when there were five teams in front of them. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Also dumb to hang around expecting the Paolos to bail. Even the Paolos are smart enough to figure out how to fall off a ladder. The Gaghans got lucky, somehow, that the Godlewskis took so much time on the Roadblock. The Gaghans continue to impress on actually performing the tasks, but seriously underwhelm on the rest of the race. They can’t depend on one team, every week, to be barely worse than they are.

"ALL RIGHT, I’M TURNING THIS CAR AROUND RIGHT NOW!" - or, out of the Race and on their way home.
The Schroeders: You get lost in your hometown? Out!
The Aiellos: You draw the short straw on a poorly designed, wait-your-turn Roadblock? Out!
The Rogerses: You don’t listen to kids? Out!
The Blacks: You got kids? Out!

Next week: A Yield, according to CBS’s Web site. And we get to see the Godlewskis begging in Panama. Hurray! Only, not really. As a side note, I’m off travelling next week, and might miss the episode, so if the Back Seat Report isn’t published in a timely manner, you’ll know why.

[sub]Props to Mullinator.[/sub]

After missing at least three weeks, I finally remembered to watch again. I really do like the Godlewski sisters. They have a much better sense of humor and a bigger drive to win than anyone would have given them credit for at the start, I think. And you have to give any woman props for wearing six bras at a time. (Personally, no matter how long the race was, I probably would have packed two bras, max. :slight_smile: )

Little Billy Gaghan never fails to make me laugh. I can’t wait until he’s old enough to be really sarcastic on some other reality show.

Ma Weaver … sigh There are no words.

And damn you, rockle, for making me think “Flotillas or Chinchillas” throughout that whole episode.

Right. You arrived by boat, but expect to leave by bus. But I think this was the same team that thought Lake Pontchartrain was one of the Great Lakes, and whether Pennsylvania was a state. Geography is not their strong suit.

I still don’t know what it is, but the perfect family playset Gaghans just drive me up a wall. I laughed like hell went she went face first into the bus, and was praying that their taxi driver was going to go ahead and pick up the other fare while taking them. The Paolos annoy me, but the Gaghans I just have a dark black hate for.

Good luck to the Linzes, I went to high school with a Linz Bro that is not on the show, and they are good people.

Phil made a joke! (“it’s illegal in Panama to wear underwear over underwear over pants”). Is that a first?