American Idol: 2/1

I don’t agree that she took no pride in her appearance. She had a damn hard body to dress. There are fat women, and then there are fat women. She had one of those unfortunate “bear bodies” complete with hump. Her outfit was clean, fit her, and was about as flattering as anything is going to get. Her hair was a modern cut and was styled. I didn’t notice makeup.

While I agree that she would never succeed as a pop star, I think the bigger mistake she made was to sing a non-pop song.

This goes a long way in explaining why even the most horrid of singers thinks they are going to Hollywood. If you go to the interviews thinking you can sing and you pass 2 interviews, then it stands to reason you will be the next American Idol.

I also wonder why so many people care about Simon’s opinion’s. He has execrable taste that leads him to prefer mediocrity to real talent. For instance, last year at the initial auditions he told Fantasia that she was too quirky to succeed in the competition and that if she got to go to Hollywood, she wouldn’t get past the first cut. Simon is only interested in finding a cute, young face with a passable, ordinary voice to sell. By his rules, we would never have heard of Ella Fitzgerald (too fat), Bob Dylan (can’t sing), David Bowie (too weird), and so on.

I agree with this post. I wish they had asked her to sing another song, like they sometimes do with other contestant, though I’m still not sure she would have made it. She had a very high voice compared to most of the contestants, and I don’t think that’s what they look for.

A few shows ago (I don’t remember which town, I don’t follow the show that religiously) they let in a woman w/ a wonderful voice, who was overweight and not very stylish, probably less so than the My Fair Lady girl. and most of I’m sure she’ll look different when we see her again, but if I remember correctly, she sang a pop song, or at least one that wasn’t Broadway.

I feel bad for the guy being called “Son of Clay” in this thread (maybe elsewhere, too, not sure). He’s going to end up being branded as the Clay Aiken of this group, and I don’t think that’s fair to him. He should be able to compete on his own merits and should only have to be compared to the singers he’s competing against, not past contestants.

She sang an Alicia Keys song, if I remember correctly. And she wasn’t as cute as the girl last night, I didn’t think, though her voice rocked. I agree that if the “My Fair Lady” girl had chosen a different, more modern song, her chances of getting in would have been much better. Sing something from a musical, and they’ll say you belong in a musical.

For the most part, I think this is true, but not if you have a truly amazing voice. Bree the Phantom of the Opera girl did - she had an amazing range, and you could hear that she’d also be an amazing singer no matter what you gave her. The less amazing but still California-worthy singers need to prove themselves more by singing pop-ier songs

i saw parts of it. I thought the first black woman heavy singer was better, and they just felt sorry for the last one because she came in crying at the start.

I hate it when Simon says “you’re not what we’re looking for”. Who cares what they look like if they can sing?? Did Rueben have ‘the look’ they were looking for? Clay?? That woman who won last year?? Kelly?? Ok, that’s one out of 4. It’s a copout instead of saying you aren’t pretty enough.

That guy that sang Superstar was really good, even though he didn’t have the look. Of course, that is one of my favorite songs.

I thought she was incredible! Her range is outstanding, especially for someone who just started taking vocal lessons. I’ve spent many, many years singing and many years in vocal lessons - trust me, the girl has raw talent. She gave me goosebumps.

The “Mini Clay” looks EXACTLY like one of my hubby’s coworkers. The kid was very cute and did excellent as well.

The kickboxing girl was very talented, a mature voice.

Man oh man, LL made my night. That man is absolutely delicious! It’s reassuring to see he has a heart. I used to joke with a friend of mine that I was the future Mrs. Cool J (if I could steal him away from his wife and litter of kids!). What nice eye candy last night . . .
::: drool :::

Can we talk about Wednesday’s show yet?

I don’t disagree. But “gobear attractive” and “Hollywood attractive” probably aren’t exactly the same thing. :slight_smile:

As far as losing weight and dressing better, the same can be said for the majority of people to whom Simon has said, “Terrific voice, too fat. Next!”

I had to go to a meeting tonight and I missed it. Can anybody recap any memorable moments or performances?

Dang, I don’t remember enough to do a recap.

There was a fun segment where the editors contrasted what the losers told their families with what the judges really said. So naturally the families are outraged and puzzled that their admittedly talented kids were rejected.

I liked Chris, the cute kid who did Chains of Fools. Bad song choice though. I wish they would have given him another shot. I don’t know why they passed the Freddie Mercury imitator though.

Nobody really stood out, but then I’m old, and my memory is bad.

The twin came back and was rejected.

Ah! The guy who was a nanny; he didn’t sing, he rapped a song he made up about the judges. He couldn’t handle the rejection, all we heard after he left the room was bleep bleep bleep etc.

He looked insanely familiar, but I can’t place it. Anyone?

PS - That was the ugliest effing dress I’ve ever seen. “It fits my personality!” Umm, full of holes? What?

There was one contestant – Elizabeth Pha – who got two no’s (Randy and Brandy) and two yes’s (Paula & Simon), and who got through to Hollywood. I thought they needed three yes’s to get through. Does Simon’s vote count more?

There was another contestant (can’t remember who) who got two of each as well, and that person were sent packing. It might have been the rappin’ nanny, now that I think of it. In this case Simon said no, so I think it’s based on what he says. I really can’t imagine why though.

I didn’t like the chick with the Big Hair. I know why, but I can’t tell you because I have no idea what words to use. She has a good voice I think, but that… barking?.. thing she does? Ew. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? How many times I have said that in this thread anyway? Seems I’m not very good with words here. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never watched AI beyond the initial auditions. “Hollywood Week” might hold my interest though.

We’ll see.

There was a Freddie Mercury imitaor? I’m sorry I missed that. I love Queen.

He reminds me of a talk show host. Maybe something that was on MTV? I don’t know, but his face was definitely familiar.

J.T. the twin who was passed in New Orleans received a yes from Paula and Brandi, but wasn’t sent through.

That was a mistake, no one could be as good as Freddie. I dunno why he got through.
What about the man who sounded just like a woman?

The people at Television Without Pity are saying that Christopher Noll was Chris Wylde. He had a talk show on Comedy Central, has been in Dominoes commercials, and apparently did an episode of Trading Spaces. The IMDB lists his real name as Christopher Noll so now we know why he looked so familiar.