American Idol 2/9-2/10

Found it. It’s “Duet” by Rachael Yamagata ft. Ray Lamontagne.

Yeah, doesn’t he totally look like The Fonz?

My thoughts on the first round of Hollywood week:

**Brett: ** Answering the question never asked - what if Carrot Top was smaller, whinier, and just as annoying? The kid’s got a decent voice, but the whole package makes me wish for a little pun-riddled prop comedy. And I didn’t think that was possible.

Let it be Girl: Proving that if you just sing enough notes, you’re bound to hit one that’s actually part of the melody. She’s got melisma-tourettes. I hate that style of singing.

**Seth Rogan: **Yeah, whatever. I didn’t really see enough to judge him, but maybe he’ll bring a little everyguy vibe to a sea of divas. And he’s got good taste. So far, so good.

Victoria Huggins: Please God, NO. Just no. I don’t care how well she sings (not all that well, actually), her personality is either chemically induced or the result of a lifetime of being told she’s just the greatest, special-ist girl who ever lived. UPDATE: Okay, she’s out. And I have to say, she handled it well. Either she’s got more depth of character than her giggly persona would indicate, or off camera she’s trashing a hotel room. But mom didn’t give off the crazy-ass-stage-mom vibe, so maybe she’s just a very happy, talented kid and I’m a very bad man for doubting her.

Adam Lambert: Wasn’t he on Idol a couple of years ago? Pretty sure he was. He lost in the finals to the guy who went on to be a huge star (snort). The tourettes adds a new dimension of unpredictability, though. That’s fine TV right there.

The Three Youngsters: Yeah, they can all sing. Not much to say about them, though. I’m betting at least two of the three will be roadkill before Hollywood Week is over.

The Accountant: Oh, come on - the music industry needs singing accountants. Just think where Michael Jackson could have gone had he coupled his singing talent with the ability to understand double-entry bookkeeping. For one thing, he wouldn’t have purchased those damned elephant man bones - the market for the bones of dead mutants has been shrinking for a while now.
Parade of losers**: The people who should be embarassed were the losers who passed them through to Hollywood in the first place.

The dysfunctional couple: The little guy can sing, but that’s not going to stop the redheaded ex-girlfriend from ripping his heart out and stomping it into a pancake on national TV. This will be painful to watch.
The non-dysfunctional couple**: Oh, here comes the dysfunction… American Idol: destroying happy couples one Hollywood week at a time. And dude, don’t beg. You’ll have plenty of time for that later. You could see the love fading from her eyes with each second of pleading and whining. Much more of that and she would have been making out with Seth Rogan in the back aisle.

Country Guy: He can sing - so long as he stays in his single-octave range, apparently. Let’s see what he can do during Minnie Riperton week.
Star Boobs**: Oh, Star Boobs girl is going to be ‘honest!’ Think she’ll admit that she’s she’s got the personality of a trapped weasel? Shocking Update: Her honesty consists of telling the world she’s just the best thing EVER. Please go home.
Second soulful black guy with glasses**: Oh, there’s your mistake. There’s only room on American Idol for one soulful black guy with glasses. And the other guy had one of those little porkpie hats, so he was the complete package. You should know that you can not compete against tiny hats in the Jason Mraz era. Have you not learned the lesson of Blake Lewis? His tiny hat got him all the way to the finals. Matt Giraud and Chris Richardson also proved that the tiny hat has the power to carry you far past the level of your talent on American Idol. Hell, even Randy Jackson is sportin’ a tiny hat these days, even though putting a tiny hat on that giant melon makes him look like an ambulatory acorn.

So far, there’s been no one that blew away the competition in the fashion of Melinda Doolittle, Adam Lambert (the real one), or Crystal Bowersox. Here’s hoping they’ve got some reserve talent back there some where.

Ah, that was righteous, Sam! :slight_smile:

Thanks. American Idol is much more fun if you approach it with the right level of snark. But not too much - I left out a joke about Adam Lambert also ‘riding the tiny hat’ all the way to the finals. That would have been just wrong.

Also, I couldn’t decide if watching the red haired ex-girlfriend go all Aztec on the little singing elf would be painful to watch… Or awesome.

I liked that guy, though, and although I didn’t like Vanessa, I do appreciate that both of them reacted as they did to being cut. I can’t get behind the kind of contestant who cries and says “Now I have nothing,” as another guy did. The contestants I like are the ones who end up (assuming they don’t make it to final 2) saying, “Well, I’ve still got my music,” or “You haven’t heard the last of me” (in a non-confrontational way). If you don’t have enough drive to continue pursuing music/stardom after getting cut from Idol, you shouldn’t be going out for Idol.