American to Canadian translations

[QUOTE=Schlep]
In Canada - Would you like that in a bag?

In US - Do you want a that in a sack?

Canada - French Fries (and we like “gravy on the fries” or “on the side” and sometimes Ketchup and it is most always Heinz and it sits on the table)

US - Chips (in Whitefish, Montana they have gravy on the menu…15 minutes down the road in Kalispell it is unheard of to put anything but Catsup and vinegar on your chips)

That’s my contribution. I’m sure I will think of more but I will most likely be sleeping.

*I was raised in Ontario but now live “out West” and have remained for over 20 years. When I first came here I experienced a dramatic linguistic culture shock.
I still don’t understand why anyone would say “Must be gonna…” and I never adopted " that big sucker" although I don’t hear it much anymore. I have a faint echo of the “missing vowel theory” with certain words like “about” and “coke”. For some reason it drives my husband nuts. He always thinks he is correcting me. Little does he know it’s the other way around! :wink:
[/QUOTE]

I think those examples might be more western regionalisms, isntead of American ones. It’s definitely french fries, ketchup, and bag here in NY and I’ve never heard anyone say “must be gonna” or “that big sucker” here either.

Yes. You seem to be a “keener”. Good to know what it means (eh?).

Ca-na-da eh? Can’t speak for the US-ites on this one.

[QUOTE=Omega Glory]
I think those examples might be more western regionalisms, isntead of American ones.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you are right. I haven’t ventured throughout enough of the US to make solid and fair comparisons.

Forgot to mention that I don’t use faceclothes so it makes no difference to me as to what they are called. Just as long as the towels are clean. I’ll use what is there.

You don’t want to be in a parkade when the hydro fails.
Always keep plenty of napkins in your glove box.

Gas station toy-lets are rarely clean. Restaurant tur-lets are often clean.

I line up at the pool. Do you cue?

[QUOTE=Foldup Rabbit]
As a BC-dwelling Western Canadian, I can most assuredly tell you that we call it hydro. Hydro bill. BC Hydro.

The only person I know who uses the word ‘chesterfield’ is my grandmother.

I don’t know anyone who says ‘serviette’.

Why is it that I can drive a few hours south and suddenly no one serves iced tea?
[/QUOTE]

Alberta doesn’t use ‘Hydro’. We say ‘electric’ or ‘light’ or ‘power’ bill.

[QUOTE=capybara]
Chips? Who in the US calls fries chips? And I think bag and sack are exactly interchangable.
[/quote]
To me, bags may or may not have handles, but a sack never has a handle. We always call them bags: garbage bags, grocery bags, shopping bags, trick-or-treat bags, freezer bags, ziplock bags, etc.

How do you pronounce ‘sorry’ then? ‘Sore-ey’ seems a fairly-accurate description. Is it a difference in emphasis?

Is that in the Canadian or US system?

I just learned the word ‘invigilate’ last week: I’m taking some Ministry of Housing courses at Loyalist College* and the teacher told me that the exam would be monitored by an ‘invigilator’. Although when I asked for someone there, I was told that she was ‘proctoring’ an exam.

[sub] *Named after the guys who lost the American Revolution. You know–the United Empire Loyalists.[/sub]

[QUOTE=K364]
I’m aware that BC does it too. That’s why I said “As a prairie-dwelling, Western Canadian…”

Anyway, how would you feel if the news reporter said “The Coal lines have been knocked out by the storm and there are Coal outages in most of the province”.?
[/QUOTE]
I don’t understand this. Is the electricity supplied by a company named Coal, or just coal-fired generators?

Good heavens, not this again:

[QUOTE=Oakminster]
In America, we have a substance called “beer”. In Canada, the same substance is known as “Cat Pee”. Canadian beer is known as “Nectar of the Lesser* Gods” stateside.

[/QUOTE]

You need to try some Nectar of the Greater Gods, aka American microbrews.

Maybe, but by the time it gets to the states it usually tastes like skunk pee.

alice, sweet tea is cold tea with a heck of a lot of sugar in it, but no lemon. It’s weird. I have experienced the ‘iced tea’ problem, where they just give you cold tea.

According to my American best friend, it’s really hard to find proper decent hot tea in many places in the U.S. She liked the tea in Canada.

She used to ponounce ‘Sorry’ ‘Saw-ry’, until I made fun of her mercilessly.
Is SOL a Canadianism?

[QUOTE=tomndebb]
There have been doctoral dissertations and major grants from institutes of philology devoted to tracing and untangling the skein of words used to identify that object. The few I can recite without digging into my memory are:
Submarine’s (Subs)
Torpedoes
Heroes
Poor Boys
Hoagies
Grinders
but there are several others, as well.

[/QUOTE]

Despite the prevailing hoagie (cold sandwich) and grinder (toasted) in Philly, a few places still use the very pre-war Zeps (zeppelin).

[QUOTE=Lissla Lissar]
alice, sweet tea is cold tea with a heck of a lot of sugar in it, but no lemon. It’s weird. I have experienced the ‘iced tea’ problem, where they just give you cold tea.

[/QUOTE]

Can somebody elaborate for me on this. I’m thoroughly confused by this iced tea problem.

Hot tea = brewed from tea leaves, served hot
Iced tea = brewed from tea leaves, served over ice

:confused:

A lot of places will give you unplatable swill if you order iced tea, but that doesn’t make the swill ‘iced tea’, I don’t think anybody actually EXPECTS acidic corn-syrupy tea-colored raspberry punch when they order iced tea, they merely tolerate it. Do people actually ever expect the… horrid lipton/brisk/nestea … thing and get disappointed when served actual iced tea? I can understand people from southeastern US who might expect their iced tea to come sweetened, but I’ll bet doughnuts to dollars that most of them would prefer to sweeten unsweetened actual tea rather than put up with Brisk or somesuch.

[QUOTE=K364]
I’m aware that BC does it too. That’s why I said "As a prairie-dwelling, Western Canadian…
[/QUOTE]
Yet, in Manitoba exists Manitoba Hydro…

[QUOTE=qwest]
Yet, in Manitoba exists Manitoba Hydro…
[/QUOTE]

So, do you call electrical power “Hydro”?

[QUOTE=K364]
So, do you call electrical power “Hydro”?
[/QUOTE]
Yes. Sorry to burst your bubble.

It comes from parking + arcade (the latter meaning a multistory enclosed space. There used to be shopping arcades in big cities. Today we’d call them atriums.)

I don’t know how Canadian the term is. Downtown Des Moines, IA, had a Parkade (so named) from 1957 until just recently.

[QUOTE=Sunspace]
I don’t understand this. Is the electricity supplied by a company named Coal, or just coal-fired generators?
[/QUOTE]

Neither, if it’s in Alberta. Then it’s natural gas, as we have all Hell for a basement.

Isn’t there a different term in Canada for ski mask?

[QUOTE=Monty]
Isn’t there a different term in Canada for ski mask?
[/QUOTE]
Perhaps you mean balaclava.

I definitely grew up sitting on a chesterfield and using serviettes. Unfortunately (just because I hate homogenization) thes days I’m more likely to reach for a napkin whilst I lounge on the sofa. Fewer syllables, eh? Maybe it’s laziness, or too much American TV.

The last letter of the alphabet is pronounced “zed”. I eat chocolate bars (not candy bars) and drink diet pop (not diet soda). I wear runners to walk the dog (not sneakers). It’s a grocery store (not a market or supermarket). After paying the Hydro (not the electric) bill, and gassing up at Esso (not Exxon) I hope I have enough money left over for my holiday (not vacation). I definitely park in a parkade downtown, and was confused as to why Microsoft Word thought this was a misspelling. My postal code (not zip code) is V9B 4V4. It’s a washroom (not a restroom) in a public place, but in my house it’s the bathroom. I don’t mind a drink, rye (not whiskey), please.

[QUOTE=Lissla Lissar]
Is SOL a Canadianism?
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes indeedy. I find myself SOL quite often.

[QUOTE=Savannah]
I eat chocolate bars (not candy bars)
[/QUOTE]
Need a so-called chocolate bar actually contain chocolate? What would you call a Salted Nut Roll, if such a thing existed in Canada?