Amy Winehouse is dead

Never have I heard music like that so not belong to someone who looks like she does.

It’s a shame.

They tried to make her go to rehab, but she said no, no, no.

Very sad. I really liked this girl, warts and all, and was pulling for her. So much sadness today.

My biggest surprise today relevant to this thread was actually learning that Tupac is not a member of the 27 club- somehow I’d been under the assumption that he was. :smack:

It’s easier to post a link to a news story with the comment “RIP” than it is to think of something thoughtful and sympathetic to say about the horrors of Oslo yesterday. I mean, what are you going to do? Link to a news story about Oslo and say, “This is really bad.” It’s difficult.

Hmm, I had her figured as as Keith Richards, Shane McGowan type who would hold it together enough to slowly decline into a zombie over 40 years.

Was never a huge fan of her music, but she had a good voice - my primary image of her is on Never Mind The Buzzcocks, where she sticks up for an older chap in the line-up giving him a hug and calling Phil Jupitus a ‘fat bastard’, and slapping down some twat who was being disrespectful to him. Despite her problems she clearly was a good person at heart.

She looked great before the drug abuse.

Amy Winehouse before & after

*Another *27-year-old rocker dying of an overdose, to keep up the tradition.

Amy was one of the most fucked up entertainers I’ve ever seen. I’ve wondered why the promoters continued booking concerts for her. No disrespect but burned out addicts are beyond performing. Any’s last appearances were just sad.

Janis Joplin and Hendrix were still creating and performing great music right up until the end. Janis had nearly completed recording one of her best albums when she relapsed and got back on heroin.

I wonder how many albums her record company is gonna squeeze out of her over the next 20 years like Jimi Hendrix or Tupac-spelled-backwards-is-kaput Shakur

I really hate when people die of drug overdoses how they’re glorified. You’re addicted to drugs and alcohol. You’re dead. SHOCKING. Because it is TOTALLY an unknown side effect of heavy drug/alcohol abuse that you die. I know I sound harsh, but, really! Drugs and alcohol CAN kill you! Why are we so shocked these people die? Especially Wino who was visibly drunk/high all the time.

I’m tired of people bitching all over the internet that her death is being “glorified.” How are reports of her death glorifying drug use in any way? If anything, reports of her death are serving as a terrible warning AGAINST drug use.

Honestly, if anyone is shocked or surprised by Winehouse’s death, they haven’t been following news of her for a while. Even though it was not unexpected based on her behavior, I think people are always surprised when someone so young dies. The fact that someone died essentially by their own hand doesn’t mean they won’t be missed, or that people can’t acknowledge the wasted talent.

Anyone know why they are arguing on Wikipedia? They even locked the Winehouse page. Click the history…

Winehouse was 27. She was a Grammy (5) winner and she died from drugs. I don’t see any dispute that she joined the 27 Club. Are they arguing that the 27 club is only for 60’s rockers???

“There’s nothing you can’t teach me that I didn’t learn from Mr. Hathaway”.

Not surprising at all, but a huge waste of talent nevertheless. Damn, I loved her music!

You can look under the View History tab of her Wikipedia if you want to see what changes were attempted, made, or reversed.

I think it’s fairly standard procedure at Wikipedia to lock down the pages of celebrities who recently died because so many people log on to change it.

How is her musical or cultural import comparable?

There’s also the not at all insignificant fact that to one degree or another, we actually KNOW Amy Winehouse (her name, face, art, history, struggles…) and many of us love her music, so her death has more impact because we are going to be personally disappointed and deprived by her passing.

As horrible as the Oslo murders are, they are completely faceless, nameless people that (probably) none of us has ever heard of. It was a truly terrible thing that almost certainly will have no impact on any of us in any way.

Amy Winehouse was a fantastic artist, no false glorification about it.

Amy Winehouse was a serious drug addict alcoholic whose career has been largely derailed for a long time because of it, and I haven’t noticed a single person in this thread expressing any kind of surprise, much less shock, that she finally died of her addiction.

And glorification has nothing to do with people being shocked anyway.

Winehouse is certainly not in the same league as Hendrix or Joplin. Not even close.

But, isn’t the 27 Club a list of musicians that died tragically at that age? I didn’t realize they had to be great musicians. :wink: Just very, very stupid :stuck_out_tongue:

I disagree.