And my taxes are DONE!

Yup. Costing me about $2,000 which is more than I will pay in tax. The time and effort has gotten out of control. If you add up all the hours that the “Paperwork Reduction” notices say it should take me it is roughly a month of full time work.

I would love a total flat tax with no deductions except a poverty line bar.

How much did you earn? $xx,xxx
Std. Poverty line reduction -15,000 (or whatever)
Subtotal xx,xxx

Tax 18% (or whatever): xx,xxx

Done.

I likewise can’t submit mine yet. Friggin AMT changes make it so I can’t submit for the Lifetime Learning Credit (at least, according to HR Block). Bleep you Congress. Bleep you and your tax changes.

My W-2 actually came a little early this year so I filed on Tuesday and should expect my refund next Friday.

I e-filed using TaxAct for the federal since it is free and used the Ohio e-file for state since it is free. Both are being deposited directly to my checking account.

I love the e-file and have done it for the past five years. I can’t even imagine mailing it like had to be done years ago.

I heard some people at work have not gotten their W-2. We had some type of change in payroll that resulted in some issues with our last two paychecks so I hope those poor people get theirs soon.

I didn’t file yet, but looked over someone’s shoulder while they were doing TaxCut. Can you really not file yet because of the Lifetime (not Lifelong) Learning Credit? It looked like it said you could file now, but that your refund would be delayed until that date. Alternately, you could leave it off for now, and file an amendment, but you can’t e-file those.

Mine are done, but I won’t be hitting that submit button on efile until April 15th. No point in paying earlier than I have to.

I’m done, too. Submitted yesterday. Approval of Federal and State received today. Direct Depost Pending. Now if only PA would send the damn Local paperwork…

Mine are basically done. I moved recently and can’t find last year’s to get the AGI in order to “sign” this year’s electronically, so I’ll still need to print out a signature form and mail that in. It’s looking like $775, which isn’t as much as I’d hoped, but certainly better than the $300 I owed last year.

Would’ve had it done a couple of weeks ago, but I was waiting on one damned W-2 (5 total, bleh) that showed up today.

Just got our last W2 yesterday, so I’ll be doing our taxes this weekend. If it goes like last year, the piddly refund from the state will be about right to cover what we owe the Feds. My goal is to be under $100 either way. I’d rather have my money during the year than get a refund, and I don’t want a whopping bill come April 15. It’s still a challenge to make it work that way, and since our daughter is graduating and getting married this year, it’ll throw off next year’s return.

I want a nice, easy flat tax and be done with it. I don’t mind paying my share, but doggone, does it have to be so convoluted??

Just submitted mine a few minutes ago. Even with some tweaking of my withholding during the year, I still am getting a refund of about $600 total state and federal.

Not that I’m complaining.

Me too. I make less than $25,000 a year, so it’s not like I’m affected by the AMT. Just fix the damn thing instead of applying temporary patches every year!

I worked mine out yesterday. It looked like I was heading for a modest refund but then I calculated the evil AMT and learned that I owe thousands of dollars plus penalties. How I hate the AMT.

I got my W-2 on the 24th and e-filed that night for free (yay for making less than $50k!). My refund direct deposited to my checking account at midnight Friday.

So now I have a new TV, a new mattress set, a new TiVo, and some extra spending money for my 4-weeks-from-tomorrow cruise.

I e-filed my federal and one state yesterday, and was informed by the H&R block system AFTER I’d paid that I could only e-file one state. I didn’t mind paying (the last time I had to file 2 part year state taxes was a miserable situation for my brain), but I wouldn’t have paid if I’d realized I wasn’t going to be able to file it electronically. So I submitted the federal and the state with the higher refund, and I’ll print the other and send it out.

I’m getting a refund back from all of them - not what I expected. And in all cases. they’re more than I expected, so I’m figuring how to tweak my W4’s to not do the same thing next year.

Same here. I cashed out a 401(k) at the start of the year (I know, I know!) and got an ESOP distribution at the end of the year, and now between fed and state I owe $4300. Usually I have my refunds before most people even have all of their forms, but this year I won’t be doing any actual filing for another ~2.5 months. It was nice to have that extra income during 2007, though!