And so the Gestapo tactics begin (OWS)

Ideologies are hurting people right now. Ideologies are making it difficult for them to get health care, just for starters. Now, I don’t know how many people that amounts to, numerically. How many are merely sick for longer time, and how many have their health compromised, and how many actually die. But I’m confident that number is orders of magnitude larger than the grievous injuries sustained from hacky-sack accidents (setting aside injuries inflicted upon demonstrators as compared to injuries inflicted by them.)

Injuries often inflicted by the police. Who are there to prevent injuries. Yes. Quite.

And they have everything to hide from you.

Not true.

Not true.

Is a cop who vandalizes your door, and drags you off to be striped naked against your will over a 6 year old fine, a good cop?

Thank you for making my argument. People in power can’t be trusted, as demonstrated by history, and governments are made of people. Therefore people should retain the means to organize and resist. This includes a right of privacy.

Institutionalized harassment and human rights crimes from local governments, including the police letting lose attack dogs on peaceful protestors, among other things.

Tell me you feel Bush was a good thing. I will laugh hysterically at your expense.

Please define what you feel the “actual government” is, that wouldn’t include elected officials like Bush.

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

I am confident that more were injured, raped or robbed by fellow occupiers than by police. After hacky-sack hour there were some less than noble pursuits underway (talk about rape, pillage and plunder of the 99%). But that is not the point. The point is that any self respecting evil secret police force, at least one that is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the Gestapo not to mention being called Gestapo-like, simply would not let this sort of shit go on. They would be lining people up and shooting them, a tactic of which there is no current equivelent. Once again, it is an insult to the victims of the true Gestapo.

You know what? You scare me more than the cops who kick down doors.

Just saying.

This was (truly) my first thought reading the post you responded to.

I have not responded myself for waffling between incredulity, anger at such a notion and wanting to chill and write something elucidating.

Still haven’t been able to settle on which response to go with.

Depends what I did(if anything) to provoke such an action. If I was on message boards spouting about breaking laws, then I think it is debatable.

Also, for the record, I don’t think having Bush Jr. in power was a good thing. I just don’t think it was a bad thing. More along the lines of ‘Meh. Had better presidents. Had worse.’

Oh please let it be elucidating? Just cause the word is cool. Pleeeeeease?

Are you hoping to achieve by innuendo and insinuation what you cannot win by evidence and argument?

Then why bring it up? Not meant to be a factual statement, perhaps?

How about if you were a peaceful protestor like the OWS fellow they did that to?

So you’re okay with the government torturing people, trillion dollar wars of false claims, and outright blood libel while a giant credit bubble forms that Bush was fucking informed about, but ignored.
That’s not a bad thing in your world.

No, they’d shoot the ones with intelligent looking faces.

Which group was worse?

Also, documentary worth perusing should a history book be difficult to come by.

It’s for the person making the claim to substantiate it. I can’t create a list of every right that existed ten years ago and show none of them are gone now.

But I can point to at least one right that you’ve gained: the right to the writ of habeas corpus even if you’re confined outside of the bounderies of the United States, as long as it’s an area over which the US has complete jurisdiction and control and “de facto” sovereignty.

So it seems we have even MORE rights than we did ten years ago!

I await your rebuttal, which now needs to include at least two rights lost. Showing just one only returns us to a tie score.

The one raping women in tents and shitting next to police cars.

So you’re very submissive to authority, and your main comeback to others is to mock them for their use of big words.

You remind me of the guys that would hang out with the school bully and follow his orders to steal the other kids lunch money.

Whereas your tactic seems to be dropping a nugget into a thread without citation. I guess you’re referring to Tonye Iketubosin who was charged with sexual abuse back in November and released on bail. I wonder if you could link us to the page that shows he was convicted of raping a woman in a tent? Or is your personal word enough?

I get the feeling that you would be the person giving the orders, and Makeitstop would be the person obeying your authority. You make a nice couple.

It it seemed like I was mocking, that was not my intention. I do in fact think that ‘elucidating’ is a really cool word, and I was trying to inject a little humor into this exchange. My apologies if it seemed otherwise.

And no, I was one of the ones being bullied. 250lbs by the time I was in third grade, and I was teased mercilessly for being fat. Course that was true, but it still made me feel bad. And as a naturally submissive person, I didn’t really push back all that much, despite beign the biggest kid in school. But you know what I did once I was in fifth grade? I finally hit back. I smacked a kid who pushed me just a little too far, and nearly broke his jaw.

And you know what I did when the teacher came by and asked me what I did? I told her point blank while the kid hid hide away in the nurse’s office. And when the principle gave me a week’s detention, I said “OK.” When I do break the rules, I’m damn proud of it. I don’t hide behind the ‘rights’ I supposedly have.

There was a time you would have been ashamed of a post like this. Remember? Try to remember…

I suggest that next time, he signs the post:

Regards,

Bricker

Iknow that at our local OWS there was one rape, two other attempted sexual assaults, at least four assaults and a few simple fistfights and numerous thefts. None were committed by policemen.

I do, though, apologize for the digression from my central point, which is that it is ludicrous to apply the term “Gestapo tactics” to the story under discussion. It is an insult that demeans those who have experienced what well executed and unrestrained oppression really is. If it were possible, I would dearly love to see someone stand in front of my friends who had experienced the real thing and to describe the linked story to them as an egregious abuse. But it’s not, and that’s why the term “Gestapo tactics” is so convenient. Why not use the term “NKVD tactics” or “Stasi tactics” ? If you did, you might be able to get people to describe the difference first-hand.